C180K not starting

OP
colifecape

colifecape

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C180K Avantgarde SE
Ive had a good look at the sprocket teeth and they look perfect. In my job over the years I`ve seen many sprocket and chain setups and the only thing I`ve found is a lot of wear in the rolling elements of the chain.
To me this would mean as the chain becomes longer, the tension is lost as the tensioner is out as far as it can go. I know someone in my street with an identical `05 180 and I reckon he should at least get it checked or changed if its around 70k.

Another thing is..... I can`t find the timing marks on the camshafts. I`m looking for two lines behind the sprockets but nothing.
( Engine No: 271 946 )

?
Coli

Paul1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c270 cdi w203, c180k coupe(Rust In Pieces)
im sure there was grooves behind the sprocket on mine, will take a look for you.I have came to an agreement with the dealer(who dosent do warranties) who I bought my car off that he will buy the parts needed for repair!thats whats holding things up for me. Were the pistons ok in your engine?if and when I get the car going i think I will get her a new home! meant to ask you coli if you hold the chain horizantally does it bend down alot showing signs of extreme wear?

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
OP
colifecape

colifecape

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C180K Avantgarde SE
Yes paul , when I get slack on the chain its got a lot of wear. It`ll be good to measure just how much when it comes off.

It looks llike I`ve had the TDC on the exhaust stroke....

Moved it to comp and the exhaust is spot on, but the inlet is well out by 2-3 teeth.

Thx again
coli

OP
colifecape

colifecape

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C180K Avantgarde SE
Whats the best way to get that rubber bung out of the timing cover. The solid one that hides the tensioner.
they do have apassion for hiding things....

OP
colifecape

colifecape

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C180K Avantgarde SE
Scratch that, Got it wi a flat driver. As for wear on the chain, it came off the sprockets without splitting it.
Only the head bolts left to go.

OP
colifecape

colifecape

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C180K Avantgarde SE
Head`s off, inlet valves all bent f%^k and 5 smashed rockers. You could get the skip of your bunnet thruoght the gap in the valves. But no gubbed pistons.
Now, many parts and a rebuild, and crossed fingers.

c.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom