C200 Auto Noise possibly gearbox

Riggers1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2004 2.1 CDI
Hello all, I am a newbie to this forum and to the world of Mercedes, (former Alfa owner).

This morning my C200 2.1 CDI Auto has started making some loud whining noises and rattling noises from what I think is the gearbox.
Symptoms:
when stoped in neutal, rev engine all OK.
when in drive and pulling away you get a whining and rattling sound as the car rev's up to gear selection, then it dissapears. But the car seems to drive OK.
when it has selected the relavant gear all is quiet (minimal load).

The mileage is 100K.

I hope someone can help identify this issue,

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

OP
R

Riggers1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2004 2.1 CDI
Update

I have since discovered that this is not the gearbox as the same thing happens in park. So now I have narrowed it down to drive metal covers, pulleys or turbo,

Judging by the fact it seem to start at about 3000 RMP and slow down slower than the engine I feel it's highly likely to be the turbo.

anyone else had a similar problem.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Noises

Before jumping to any possibly expensive conclusions, I would release the multi Vee belt and check the various auxiliaries in turn for excessive play / noise in the bearings. The alternator clutch is always a possibility at this mileage.

Somebody else may come on and offer their more expert opinions, though!

Ernie

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I would check the parking brake shackle hasnt come adrift and hitting the propshaft and needs replacement clips. Assuming you have no shift or drive complaints. To check lift the rear seat squib and you will see an inspection panel bolted down by 2x 8mm bolts and 13mm nut. Unscrew and remove panel. Shackle is under there.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom