C220 7G G/Box Help/Diagnostic Scan Enfield

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
Is star the only way to read the fluid level of the g/box oil? Car in question is a 2011 facelift c220 coupe with the 7g box. If so does anyone have star local to Enfield, North London that can do this for me as I cannot risk moving the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Is star the only way to read the fluid level of the g/box oil? Car in question is a 2011 facelift c220 coupe with the 7g box. If so does anyone have star local to Enfield, North London that can do this for me as I cannot risk moving the car.
What symptoms lead you to suspect lack of oil buddy ? The 7g box is fill from below the sump plug is put in just as the overfilled oil stops running out . Unless you have a gearbox oil leak somewhere the oil level will be the same ?
What mileage is the car and has the ATF and filter been changed ?

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
What symptoms lead you to suspect lack of oil buddy ? The 7g box is fill from below the sump plug is put in just as the overfilled oil stops running out . Unless you have a gearbox oil leak somewhere the oil level will be the same ?
What mileage is the car and has the ATF and filter been changed ?

It’s a car I purchased from a salvage yard as a project. I can’t see any visible signs of leakage from the bottom as I have taken the guard off and checked the sump. I’m pretty sure it has lost fluid somewhere but until I remove the front end to replace the damaged parts I can’t be sure. It’s does not drive how it should, it engages gear fine but when I put my foot on the gas you really have to get it up to high revs and this leads me to believe it’s the g/box which has lost the oil.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you could get the car off the ground and level you could pump some ATF oil in and see if it runs out indicating it's full ? If the gearbox oil is hot when you do this the level would then be pretty accurate .
There is a lot on YouTube about the 7g gearbox oil change

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
If you could get the car off the ground and level you could pump some ATF oil in and see if it runs out indicating it's full ? If the gearbox oil is hot when you do this the level would then be pretty accurate .
There is a lot on YouTube about the 7g gearbox oil change

I could poss try this. What tool is required and what fluid?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Unless you have access to STAR, these 7g boxe's seem to be a right pain in the butt ( compared to the 722.6 5sp ones) and all because MB did not think ( deliberately .. sealed for Life design :eek: ) to put in a dipstick to manually check the fluid level. Incredible !!! :confused: So you have to raise the car up ( axle stand's / lift ) remove the underneath panels, unscrew the drain plug, and if a drop or two of ATF drip's out,,,,,fine, If not then you have to have a special "injector" to top up the box, until it reaches it's max, and it start's to drip back out...at which time, you withdraw the injector, wait a few mins until the dripping stop's, then screw back in the plug. Needlessly complicated.:( Do they even have a drain plug on the TC??

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
Unless you have access to STAR, these 7g boxe's seem to be a right pain in the butt ( compared to the 722.6 5sp ones) and all because MB did not think ( deliberately .. sealed for Life design :eek: ) to put in a dipstick to manually check the fluid level. Incredible !!! :confused: So you have to raise the car up ( axle stand's / lift ) remove the underneath panels, unscrew the drain plug, and if a drop or two of ATF drip's out,,,,,fine, If not then you have to have a special "injector" to top up the box, until it reaches it's max, and it start's to drip back out...at which time, you withdraw the injector, wait a few mins until the dripping stop's, then screw back in the plug. Needlessly complicated.:( Do they even have a drain plug on the TC??

This is why I asked if there was anyone local with star who can check the levels for me to save all the aggro.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Do you have the service history?
The 7g gearbox should have the ATF changed at 37,500 miles or 5 years. The 7g+ should have the ATF changed at 77,,000 miles or 5 years.
It might be worth changing the ATF and filter now anyway.

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
Do you have the service history?
The 7g gearbox should have the ATF changed at 37,500 miles or 5 years. The 7g+ should have the ATF changed at 77,,000 miles or 5 years.
It might be worth changing the ATF and filter now anyway.

No history, although I have not contacted mb yet to see what they have on file. The point is I can’t move the car until I know if the g/box has any oil to prevent further damage! This is why I’m asking for somebody to confirm before I do anything else!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure if STAR can tell you about the oil level ? Just the gearbox oil temperature ? As Jim says above the oil is set by a plastic insert that clips into the sump drain hole and sticks up into the sump , the idea that when the oil is at the correct temp the level is exact on top of the plastic insert .

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
I'm not sure if STAR can tell you about the oil level ? Just the gearbox oil temperature ? As Jim says above the oil is set by a plastic insert that clips into the sump drain hole and sticks up into the sump , the idea that when the oil is at the correct temp the level is exact on top of the plastic insert .

Oh really? I thought I read about the only accurate way is to measure the fluid via star once up to temp? Thanks for the eBay links. What sort of pump is required? And how much does fluid is needed?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh really? I thought I read about the only accurate way is to measure the fluid via star once up to temp? Thanks for the eBay links. What sort of pump is required? And how much does fluid is needed?

Don't quote me on the Star facts , I'm not sure . If I were you though , if you can get the gearbox up to temp (and the car level ) and unscrew the sump plug and oil runs out (as Jim says) this will tell you there is oil and you can drive it ??

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda

When you have the adaptor, any pump will do the job. I used a Lidl/Aldi one and it was fine.
You need to identify whether you have the 7G or the 7G+ auto box as the ATF is a different spec for each. The 236.14 (red colour) is for the 7G but the 7G+ needs 236.15 (blue/green colour). They aren't miscible.
To do a full change including the TC drain takes 9 litres.
If you are doing it yourself, you'll need a new oil filter, sump gasket and new sump bolts as they are single use stretch bolts. It is recommended to change the TC drain bolt washer and the sump drain washer. In terms of tools over and above the normal sockets, you will need a low range torque wrench as the sump bolts are tightened to a very low torque.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you have the adaptor, any pump will do the job. I used a Lidl/Aldi one and it was fine.
You need to identify whether you have the 7G or the 7G+ auto box as the ATF is a different spec for each. The 236.14 (red colour) is for the 7G but the 7G+ needs 236.15 (blue/green colour). They aren't miscible.
If you are doing it yourself, you'll need a new oil filter, sump gasket and new sump bolts as they are single use stretch bolts. It is recommended to change the TC drain bolt washer and the sump drain washer. In terms of tools over and above the normal sockets, you will need a low range torque wrench as the sump bolts are tightened to a very low torque.
Good call on the 7g box different oil , I'd forgotten that . I'm stuck in 2009 with my 2 cars :D

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible

Great advice thank you

OP
Jonnyboy82

Jonnyboy82

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk55 AMG convertible
Would anyone happen to know if I’m replacing the xenon headlights do they need coding in? As this car has the intelligent xenon headlights.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom