c220 injector woes,

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
I have had my car for a few months now, a while ago i was washing it and thought I would do the engine bay. I took the cover off and noticed one of the injectors had been leaking so I took it to my local garage / person I had known for years to fix. No problem, injector taken out out and re seated. Ok I thought, but notice a few days later that it is leaking again :( . Anyway I take it back and to cut a long story short after the 3rd time of re seating, this morning I checked it when I got to work, and again it was still leaking. I ring them up and they say ok, we can fit it in next tuesday. I made it clear that it was getting annoying now and it should be fixed for good this time. ( I do understand that not everything is an easy fix and things do not always work first time) So after finishing work today I was driving home (luckily!) about 100 yards from home there was a bang and a loud pumping noise, WHAT WAS THAT? I thought, then smoke was coming from the bonnet, I pulled onto my drive turned it off and opened the bonnet, the injector has blown itself out of the head, and stripped the threads from the clamp ( because I took the cover off to check this morning, then put in the boot as it was going in on Tuesday!) it has hit the inside of the bonnet and dented it!!!!!. Why would it take this many times to re seat an injector properly? is there any other issues which may cause an injector to leak ? the other 3 are fine!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its simple, you need time to clean out the bolt holes with a good tap, re-cut the seats in the head and cut the seat on the injector base, if you dont spend time doing the above, then you have these problems.........

OP
D

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
They have told me that each time they have used a new stretch bolt and re cut the seat, although when I looked closely the injector in question has got about 4 washers on the bolt when the other 3 only have the one.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Well that was done correctly then wasnt it!!!

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
As cole above we quote loads of injector reseals and they take some wear else, only to return later blowing again having used same bolt and clamp and not cleaning injector seat.

OP
D

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
I had the same first reaction, but it is a person I have known for probably 15 to 20 years never had a problem before. Only change is, that he is now seemingly taking more of an ownership role and has others to do the work, so maybe a bit more hands off than before. Have you seen this before?

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
injector

Unfortunetly yes our name is over the door but it depends on who is doing the work, my son is now working for me and even though a master tech at peugeot, I have to explaine that a better service and quality is expected and is given at our garage.:)

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The reason it kept leaking I will bet is because the bottom of the injector is corroded and cannot provide a good seal to the cylinder head. Seen it time and again before. If the body of the injector is knackered then it wont seal.

Why would some one fit 4 washers?? All that does is increase your problems as it cannot pull the injector down to its correct torque on the clamp and more likely the reason why it blew out of the head.

Cowboy workmanship I'm afraid.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I would think the 4 washers were fitted because they didnt clean the fixing bolt threads, on bolt and head, and couldn't get the bolt to screw down far enough to hold the injector in properly..

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I would think the 4 washers were fitted because they didnt clean the fixing bolt threads, on bolt and head, and couldn't get the bolt to screw down far enough to hold the injector in properly..

My thoughts as well, I may have done something similar before I could get a head cutting tool as a temporary fix.

OP
D

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
They are looking at it tomorrow so will see what happens,

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Basic hand engineering skills.
Its the difference some have some haven't.

OP
D

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
Well, got the car back today. They told me they had re-done the thread replaced the top pipes all with new (metal this time not plastic) t pieces. And re-seated and tightened the injector. Then was told all is ok now, they even smart repaired the bonnet!. I drove it home and I know its dark but it still looks like there is a spit of diesel coming up from the back of the injector!!!!!. I was wondering if any body could kindly post up a picture or email me a picture of the assembly of the injectors so that I can try to get my head around WHY they cant seem to stop it leaking!. But I am hoping it was my tired eyes and all will be ok in the morning when I check it in the daylight.

OP
D

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
Or even a link to an assembly drawing so that I can see for myself how it goes together and try to work out what is not right!.

OP
D

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
HELP, any body?

Top Bottom