C350 B5 Service - help!!

JClephan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2012
So here I am, 1 year into owning my first Mercedes and I've loved it so far until today!

On the dash this morning pops up service B5 due.. Called my local MB service centre.. I genuinely cannot believe the quote I've just been given.

£841.32 :cry:

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is so expensive? It's a C350 AMG (2012).. Apparently the car is at it's 4th service so they need to change everything.. Even so, £840 seems crazy! Is it worth me doing, or should I just reset the service notification as per a few videos on youtube and move on with my life?

Appreciate any responses in advance!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There is clearly £840 of parts and labour contained in the following, honest:

What is a 'B' service?

B-Service — First visit at approximately 20,000 miles or one year after previous service, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

Services performed:

Interior
• Function check
• Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
• Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
• Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster
• Replace dust filter (not applicable to SL-Class)
• Replace combination filter (SL-Class)
• Check parking brake (function test only)

Wheels, brakes
• Check condition/thickness of front and rear brake discs
• Check front and rear brake pads for lining thickness
• Check tires for damage and condition
• Measure tread depth, record in mm
• Correct tire inflation pressure

Underside of Vehicle
• Check for major components leakage
• Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
• Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
• Check condition of mechanical steering components and rubber boots

Engine Compartment
• Check for major components leakage
• Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
• Check and replenish all fluid levels
• Change engine oil and filter
• Check engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
• Check brake system
• Check power steering
• Check Active Body Control
• Check windshield washer system
• Check and correct battery fluid level
• Check battery condition
• Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
• Check condition of poly V-belt

Boot
• Check battery condition
• Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
4th service will include the ATF change which is not a small job in its own. you can ask them for a breakdown of that quote and you'll see it's a lot involved.

you can also take it to an independent, about half the price for the exact same service.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
4th service will include the ATF change which is not a small job in its own. you can ask them for a breakdown of that quote and you'll see it's a lot involved.

you can also take it to an independent, about half the price for the exact same service.

This is true, they have to use the upside down inny-outy special pump that magically holds surface tension of light oil against gravity :D

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is true, they have to use the upside down inny-outy special pump that magically holds surface tension of light oil against gravity :D

is that the one that works alongside the hoojamaflip and doohicky

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
is that the one that works alongside the hoojamaflip and doohicky

What're you on about, I copied and pasted that tool name straight out of WIS ;)

OP
J

JClephan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2012
Thanks Gents.. Would you recommend biting the bullet and going with MB or find an independent at a cheaper cost?

No idea what you two are on about though :-D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 7 speed transmission doesn't have a traditional sump and plug to change the fluid, it has been designed to only be done in an MB service centre, so designed to only use a certain gravity-defying pump to drain and refill the ATF. It's a right pain in the bum, some members have done the job at home with a turkey baster but it's not recommended.

The car is 4yo, what do you have to lose by going away from MB to a good Indy (get recommendations here first, costs you nothing but might save you a lot!)? Answer is nothing at all.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as above, find yourself a local know reputable indy and you will be set for many years compared to the dealerships

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
So here I am, 1 year into owning my first Mercedes and I've loved it so far until today!

On the dash this morning pops up service B5 due.. Called my local MB service centre.. I genuinely cannot believe the quote I've just been given.

£841.32 :cry:

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is so expensive? It's a C350 AMG (2012).. Apparently the car is at it's 4th service so they need to change everything.. Even so, £840 seems crazy! Is it worth me doing, or should I just reset the service notification as per a few videos on youtube and move on with my life?

Appreciate any responses in advance!
I take it your next post will be ----- Can anyone recommend a good "Indy" in Berkhamstead ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I take it your next post will be ----- Can anyone recommend a good "Indy" in Berkhamstead ?

Skip the question and just give the answer! ;) :D

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Are you sure? It used to be 3yrs, then moved to 5. It might come up earlier depending on mileage.

OP: See what the ESS says: http://lite.servicemercedes.co.uk/pc/pc_start.asp

If that price does include the ATF then an indie won't be much less. As well as the basic B service, the fuel and air filters are pretty dear on the V6 diesel.
It should also have a brake fluid change too.

If ATF is next year, then now would be a good time to buy a 2yr ServiceCare plan!

OP
J

JClephan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2012

Got one across the road. Good try though. Thumbs up for the helpful comment!

Thanks to the other guys for the contributions - really good forum.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Got one across the road. Good try though. Thumbs up for the helpful comment!

Thanks to the other guys for the contributions - really good forum.

Sorry mate , it was only a bit of banter.:grin:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If that price does include the ATF then an indie won't be much less. As well as the basic B service, the fuel and air filters are pretty dear on the V6 diesel.
It should also have a brake fluid change too.

If ATF is next year, then now would be a good time to buy a 2yr ServiceCare plan!

Okay maybe not half price but I know when I had a B service and ATF done it was a bit under £600 so still a good chunk cheaper.

It's probably based itself on mileage but you could be right tht it's 5years on this box, then again the number of times MB change the goal posts I'm surprised anyone can keep up lol :D,

Good shout on the service plan if Rory is right on the ATF change, essentiall it works out cheaper than doing them seperatly but still not as cheap as an Indy.

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Okay maybe not half price but I know when I had a B service and ATF done it was a bit under £600 so still a good chunk cheaper.

If the dealer price doesn't include ATF I can't imagine how it can be £840 though. I know the diesel filter and air filters are quite expensive but not sure that means in practice - could they be £250 if you went absolutely mad?

And again, madly, say £100 for brake fluid. That still leaves them charging £500 for the basic service. Surely not?

I found a couple of 2012 C350CDi reg numbers and put them into MyService using my dealer (MB Chester) and weirdly it calls up only an A service and brake fluid change. I tried them at 40K and 60K and got same result. Only £200 for the A service too. The ESS itself gives the expected result though - everything apart from ATF.

Last edited:
OP
J

JClephan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2012
FYI Indy quoted 420.59 inc VAT.

For those who are interested, here is the breakdown of the quote from MB:

Service B Routine Maintenance cost*:£426.36
Key Features
Engine: Change Oil and Filter
Check expiration date of TIREFIT tyre repair kit and enter in end table (Correct subject to a separate invoice)
Check spare wheel tire pressure, correct if necessary or check TIREFIT tire repair kit expiration date (vehicles with spare tire, vehicles fitted with TIREFIT – Enter set tire pressure in table. Enter TIREFIT expiration date here)
When the TIREFIT expiration date is reached. Replace TIREFIT, invoice as additional operation.
Check the expiration date of the first aid kit – Enter first aid kid expiration date here:
Boot illumination: Check function
Air/water duct: Check water drain for passage - Record findings below
Air/water duct condition: Blocked (If blocked clean soiled water drain subject to a separate repair invoice)
Air/water duct condition: Clear
Brake system - Inspect fluid level
Check all visible parts in engine compartment for damage and leaks
Check power steering oil level
Check visible area of poly-V belt for wear
Windscreen washer system: Check/correct washer fluid level - Use Mercedes-Benz approved part number A 002 986 1471 10 windscreen washer concentrate (remainder to be left in vehicle if any)
Check coolant level
Check condition of vehicle exterior
Check condition of windshield
Check condition of wiper blades
Check exterior lights for proper operation
Check operation of headlamp range adjustment
Check and correct the adjustment of the headlamps (with xenon headlamps correct subject to a separate invoice)
Service reception protocol for service on vehicle - The service scope is only completely performed when all acceptance items and the maintenance items listed in the service sheet have been fully processed (To be performed by the service advisor)
Carry out brake test on test stand - Enter results in the table
Replace battery in key fob
Conduct additional operation “Top up with AdBlue”
Yes
No
Conduct additional operation “Replace dust filter” (MODEL 205)
Yes
No
Conduct additional operation "Factory inspection work on driving aids"
Yes
No
Fill up/replace perfume atomizers flacon
Yes
No
Replace battery in key fob
Check windscreen wipers, windscreen washer system and headlamp cleaning system for proper operation
Replace combination filter
Check instrument cluster indicator lamps and interior illumination for proper operation
After confirming service in ASSYST/ASSYST PLUS make sure instrument cluster message changes to next service 15,500 miles (for AMG variants please check FIS guide within ESS) - For vehicles on Fixed Interval Servicing (FIS) Only
Check warning and function indicator lamps in instrument cluster
Check horn for proper operation
Read out map data status from navigation system, check update - Card data status:
Read out maintenance data from instrument cluster, note and reset service indicator.
Service 15 - At every service category B (with CODE 550 – trailer device)
Trailer Hitch: check condition and function (With CODE 550 – Trailer hitch)
Inspect all visible parts of the vehicle underside for damage and leakages (The country-specific regulations for mobility and bodyshell complaints apply)
Inspect front axle joint for play, inspect rubber boots
Check track rod and drag link linkage for play, check rubber boots
Check propeller shaft flex disks for signs of damage and deformation
Check condition of vehicle underside
Check tyres for damage and crack formation, measure tread depth and enter in end table
Check/correct tyre pressure, enter in end table
Check condition and tread depth of tyres
Assess condition of brake linings
Assess condition of brake disks
Please note that if your vehicle is on the ASSYSTPLUS service schedule, it may have different service requirements. Please ask one of our team if you are unsure and we would be happy to help.
Additional Service cost:£414.96
Key Features
Replace brake fluid £88.80
Replace air filter element £153.96
Replace fuel filter £172.20

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That sounds much more like it.

You don't think the glass, stainless steel and trendy coffee machines all come for free in the stealerships do you? ;)

OP
J

JClephan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2012
That sounds much more like it.

You don't think the glass, stainless steel and trendy coffee machines all come for free in the stealerships do you? ;)

True!! Cheers for the help.

Still tempted to sell up after getting it done and get a Boxter S.. But I think that's the sunshine we are having talking!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
True!! Cheers for the help.

Still tempted to sell up after getting it done and get a Boxter S.. But I think that's the sunshine we are having talking!!

No no no why would you want to drop down a marque?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom