C63 no power after 5000 revs

Walshy69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes C63
hi,
lm after a little advice if possible.
I have a 2017 C63 which I have changed the engine in due to water damage of the previous engine. All has worked well and the car performs really well. As part of the engine swap I used a GLE63S engine and swapped the sump over.
The GLE engine loom did not have a plug for the oil temp sensor so the car does not know how hot the oil is. My assumption is that the car will cut fuel at 5000 revs to keep the engine safe as it thinks that the oil is not hot enough.
Is my thinking correct ?
Also i know I could fit the old wiring loom but don't really want to take the engine back out to do it.
If my assumption is correct is there any way of reprogramming the ecu to make it think that the oil is always at operating temperature ?
Thanks.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
hi,
lm after a little advice if possible.
I have a 2017 C63 which I have changed the engine in due to water damage of the previous engine. All has worked well and the car performs really well. As part of the engine swap I used a GLE63S engine and swapped the sump over.
The GLE engine loom did not have a plug for the oil temp sensor so the car does not know how hot the oil is. My assumption is that the car will cut fuel at 5000 revs to keep the engine safe as it thinks that the oil is not hot enough.
Is my thinking correct ?
Also i know I could fit the old wiring loom but don't really want to take the engine back out to do it.
If my assumption is correct is there any way of reprogramming the ecu to make it think that the oil is always at operating temperature ?
Thanks.
I would highly recommend taking engine out and using correct wiring harness

OP
W

Walshy69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes C63
Guys, thanks for the advice which is valid.
However, if the GLE63S had an electronic oil temp and level sensor, is that the one in the bottom of the sump, and since I have the GLE63S wiring harness if I change the sensor will the oil temp start to display ?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I have no idea. Maybe plug the loose sensor into the plug first, see if the dash reads something

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What the guys at GAD said^^^

Don’t try to second guess engine wiring. Just not worth it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
There must be a way to send a normal oil temp signal to the ecm.
However this could leave you with a later issue should yr oil temp really get to hot.
Or you fit a good old oil temp guage. How practical this can be around ur dash I dont know and cutting things about around dash not great for resale value.

OP
W

Walshy69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes C63
Hi All,
Quick update on the no power past 5000 revs.
So I finally bit the bullet and decided to wire back in the oil temp sensor to the engine loom.
This required the front end of the car to come off to gain access to the multi plug that connects to the ecu. Two new cables run from the oil temp sensor on the oil filter housing back to the multi plug. One wire re pinned to the same position as the original loom and one connected to the power wire - all not possible without assistance from a great new friend who helped me every step of the way, cheers Lee.
While we were that deep into the job it seemed only right to have the ecu reprogrammed with a stage 1+, so thanks to LJ Mechatronics in Liverpool we are now running with 600 bhp.
Alot of work but so much fun past 5000 revs and more power from the reprogram.

OP
W

Walshy69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes C63
Yes you were spot on.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
They are superb cars. I have my own one tuned by Anthony at GAD to a similar level. How I haven't lost my licence I'll never know!
How did the original engine fail? I've heard they can be prone to water ingestion from splashes thrown up by other cars in deep standing water.

OP
W

Walshy69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes C63
I bought the car with a water damaged engine. I was told that the car had entered a large puddle and taken water into the engine. There was no water damage anywhere else on the car, so yes I guess they are susceptible to water ingress in the engine

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom