1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam belt E240 W211 100k miles -pls help!

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by speed1755, Oct 28, 2012.

1. speed1755

speed1755 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E240/2004/petrol
    Hi there,

My 2004/W211 E240 estate just let go. Per attached photos, the belt in front of the engine has come off at 100k miles.

Excuse my ignorance, please, but is this a cam/timing belt?

I see lots of posts indicating that these Mercs only had timing chains rather than belts, and everyone seems to be very complimentary about how long the chains last. However, the photo clearly shows a belt, not a chain which has failed.

Further photos here.

[​IMG]

I had heard noise for a mile or so and had stopped up. On opening the bonnet I could see where the noise was originating from. Moments later, the belt worked its way loose. The car was stationary when it happened, and there are no fluid spills or any other issues to report.

I assume i'll need to get a new belt and tensioners, but any advice you could give me to validate my actual problem would be much appreciated. Any possible estimate of cost would also be excellent.

Thanks in advance!

2. Oarsman

Oarsman Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
    The poly V belt only runs things such as ths water pump, PS pump, altenator and air con pump. The cams are chain driven. If you were stationery when it failed and you shut down the engine immediately, you will have caused no damage.

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Do you know how it goes back on

4. brandwooddixon

brandwooddixon Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 Bluefficency 2012
    The poly-V belt, as stated just drives the ancillaries. As long as you didn't drive it until the engine overheated you'll be fine.
    It's likely that the idler pulley siezed/failed. If it has you may find it on the engine undertray.