Car broken into at petrol station - windows security film/cover?

Malpugh486

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi 2002
Ah yes. If not already aware the BP/M&S station on Cromwell South Connect, Great West Rd, London W6 9TQ has 2-3 scooter related robberies a week (manager there told me this) after I had my passenger window smashed and a camera bag stolen whilst the car was in the forecourt!!!! And no, CCTV shows not a lot as they have balaclavas on and no number plate. Speaking to the Police, they advise that as my car has side windows that shatter (beloved 2002 e220), I should get new windows....that don't shatter....Really? Sounds a tad expensive. Speaking to National Windscreens, they said to get some of the non-tinted security film - unfortunately they cannot recommend where to buy it. Anybody know of where to pick some of this up that won't scratch and either fit myself or get it fitted? Latest craze is scooter thieves driving past you when in a queue/jam and smash and grab. I seriously want to buy a Taser to protect myself!!!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
ALL cars (more or less) have side and rear windows that shatter.

clear film will be available online but as to how scratch resistant it is, ive no idea.

I think the moral of the tale is to keep anything that looks like it has any value, out of sight. had it not been for the camera bag, they may easily have gone on to find another car instead of yours, I'm afraid.

I'm more glad that there were no injuries than the fact that the windows break

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Ah yes. If not already aware the BP/M&S station on Cromwell South Connect, Great West Rd, London W6 9TQ has 2-3 scooter related robberies a week (manager there told me this) after I had my passenger window smashed and a camera bag stolen whilst the car was in the forecourt!!!! And no, CCTV shows not a lot as they have balaclavas on and no number plate. Speaking to the Police, they advise that as my car has side windows that shatter (beloved 2002 e220), I should get new windows....that don't shatter....Really? Sounds a tad expensive. Speaking to National Windscreens, they said to get some of the non-tinted security film - unfortunately they cannot recommend where to buy it. Anybody know of where to pick some of this up that won't scratch and either fit myself or get it fitted? Latest craze is scooter thieves driving past you when in a queue/jam and smash and grab. I seriously want to buy a Taser to protect myself!!!

Totally agree, I drive in East London frequently so says it all.

Hope you find a solution mate. Scooter aided theft is so bad now.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
in south africa someone actually developed a side exiting gas run flame thrower ,mainly for armed robbers at robot,read traffic lights. could be handy for the scooter guys. torch the B,s i am so glad, i only go near the big cities to fly in or out after that i head for the bush, both sides. really what is the answer maybe if you see balaclava clad guys on scooter flying along yrside ,you just suddenly open the door saw that in lagos one day ,really worked well, however this still leaves you looking at least a new door.perhaps 30 yr jail term would do it. prob still on street again in 5 to clear prison for next lot .really, wot to do.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
No, you can't hurt the poor misunderstood scrotes, you might breach their human rights if they break a nail.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There are several companies doing this film.
www.smashguard.co.uk
www.autoasylum.co.uk

3M also do a film which you could fit yourself (just like window tints).

One thing to consider is the effect such a film may have in extracting you from a vehicle if you have an accident.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Never leave bags etc on show at any time, even when driving as they look in the windows at traffic lights etc and pounce when they feel they have the best chance.

Also when I put something of value in the boot, I get into the car whilst watching my surroundings and immediately press to lock all doors and boot as soon as I'm in the car as a thief could easily get into the boot before setting off if you don't lock manually.
The doors and boot auto lock after setting off but it would likely be too late to stop a thief that watched you shopping and followed you to your car.

OP
M

Malpugh486

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi 2002
The Camera was in a camera bag which was inside a tescos carrier bag....seems like nothing is safe. I dare say those thieves have ended up with some spuds and tinned beans in their time.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I've had to learn this through bitter experience some years back when I left a coat on the back seat and had my window smashed. There wasnt even anything in it.

Now nothing is on show, it all goes in the boot.

Top Bottom