Carbon engine cleaning

Stephen1989

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220
Hi. I am new to the website.

I have seen a company offering carbon engine cleaning for £79 with some good reviews but i was wondering if anyone has had this done on here.

After reading online most people say it is not necessary to have done on newer cars.

I have a 2012 E220 with £110k miles on the clock.

Have no problems with the car but they claim it will improve performance, Smoother ride and possible increase MPG

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I had it done on my old 270 (feel free to have a read of the thread here) and in the end I decided it probably wasn't worth it, it sounds like your car gets up to temp often and gets goo long runs, with that the best thing to do would be a good dose of a cleaner like cataclean run for a few miles and then a good old fashioned Italian tune up, it will blow away more carbon than those cleaner, plus it will remove it in smaller amounts over time instead of in one big lump which can damage the engine (albeit this is very rare).

OP
S

Stephen1989

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220
Thanks for your advice. The car runs fine but just thought it mite be good to do. Ill try your advice.

Thanks

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I'd agree with Matty. Run a couple of bottles of cat cleaner and a couple of bottles of diesel treatment through it, (not at the same time). I've also had success by taking the air filter out and using a fine spray of clean warm water straight into the air intake. Use an old cillit bang bottle or the like. Get the engine hot then one spray every 20 seconds or so for a couple of minutes. Then get in and give it an Italian tuneup. Black smoke will ensue for a couple of minutes.

If you don't feel the difference after that, you didn't need it done!

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
If there are no problems, leave it alone.

I've used ATF in the spark plug holes and soak for 24 hours, also used water spray as suggested above. Both a lot cheaper than £79. Be careful you know what you are doing so you don't hydroloc a cylinder.

Some ATF in the oil and drive for 100 miles is also good at cleaning out 'gunk' build up in the oilways and hydraulic tappets. Followed by an oil change.

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom