Case study - OM651 turbo fault

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
LK i wid u !!! I shed a tear when maplin shut down ,that was a place where one could easily source electrical repair items, and for the most part,very useful the staff were as well. i keep a selection of resistors,pots and diodes about from them and i have wriggled thru an issue on a few occasions. thanks god for the mix of characters and experience,skills on here who have labored their way thru various dramas and informed us on the fixes. as you say nowt is MADE to be serviced or repaired anymore, how much of that stuff COULD be fixed instead of adding to our pollution footprint ???? its not about that. its about creating premature obsolescence or failure at day 5 post warranty and forcing us into funding replacements . i have been lucky to have had things that HAVE lasted 20/30 yrs i feel for the 25+ yr olds who are unlikely to see that and will be trapped in the cycle i have outlined previously i have had telly,s,drills, other electrical tools for over 20 yr. some still going i replace a telly when it dont work anymore and i cant fix it ,NOT when the next tv gimmick comes out !

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
LK i wid u !!! I shed a tear when maplin shut down ,that was a place where one could easily source electrical repair items, and for the most part,very useful the staff were as well. i keep a selection of resistors,pots and diodes about from them and i have wriggled thru an issue on a few occasions. thanks god for the mix of characters and experience,skills on here who have labored their way thru various dramas and informed us on the fixes. as you say nowt is MADE to be serviced or repaired anymore, how much of that stuff COULD be fixed instead of adding to our pollution footprint ???? its not about that. its about creating premature obsolescence or failure at day 5 post warranty and forcing us into funding replacements . i have been lucky to have had things that HAVE lasted 20/30 yrs i feel for the 25+ yr olds who are unlikely to see that and will be trapped in the cycle i have outlined previously i have had telly,s,drills, other electrical tools for over 20 yr. some still going i replace a telly when it dont work anymore and i cant fix it ,NOT when the next tv gimmick comes out !
It gets worse unfortunately, I had to run hand tool courses for modern apprentices as none had a clue how to use a junior hacksaw no mind a soldering iron! They didn't have to be up until 03:00 on a Monday morning putting their car back together ready for work so never learnt the required skills.
I had 1 lot wire some D-Type sockets, they they stripped back the wires 2" then soldered the ends into a 15 way D-type, they hadn't a clue as to why the equipment didn't work as it never occurred to them that the 1 3/4" of bare wire was shorting out...:rolleyes:
I read recently that surgeons are struggling because again they haven't the manual dexterity required. They recommend needlework and sewing classes for trainees to try and build up the skills.
Unless it's tapping on a screen the yoof of today are fecked (no generalisations here...):rolleyes:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
100%. but is that ALL their fault or has some dick in education ordained it . when i was at school maths past π was beyond me. i learnt more maths out of school than i ever learnt in it , because i WANTED to. some yrs ago i went into curry,s to find out about "multi system " tv,s the guy in sales ,about 25,asked me what i meant by multi system tv !!!, then proceeded to get on line to try to find out !! NOW on reflection ,was that his fault, or had some other dick decided he did not need to know ! my old man was a curry,s " engineer" electrical, and he used to take stuff into the back of the store and actually repair it. HE was trained to do so, do we really have "progress" or a well organised system of trained to be useless and thus victims

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You see it everywhere Andy. Even the simplest of tasks on a car (such as changing a flat tyre) is beyond 90% of drivers. When I was taught to drive basic car maintenance was one of the things I was taught. These days it's call the AA.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lovelly has just pointed out that she does not consider that i had much "domestic " training ,I reflected for a moment then pointed out that i did do domestic science /home economics at school . and what i learnt from that was to ORGANISE a solution , and that its called lovelly !!

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
understand yr point steve. think you understand mine. in some cases i have a little sympathy for car makers, but NOT often and not when they impliment what i see as knee jerk reactions costing us motorists significant amounts to maintain ,i cant count the number of clogged /carbon,oil ect erg valves i have had to deal with.it if it must be there make it easy to get at ,simple to maintain and relativly ecconomic to replace, recently i relplaced one that was £900.00 complete with built in non servicable motor!! seems a get it out of warranty scheme rather than a decently engineered solution, unfortunatly these days there are many examples

If you don't like the cost of repairing these cars, you wait until we are in hybrid/FE vehicles where components and batteries are massively expensive. Thats if the governments realise that they will need to build another 5 Nuclear power stations to cope with the demand. But when they are struggling to get Hinckly C off the floor and the Japs have binned the one in North Wales, the petrol and diesel cycle will probably come back round.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you don't like the cost of repairing these cars, you wait until we are in hybrid/FE vehicles where components and batteries are massively expensive. Thats if the governments realise that they will need to build another 5 Nuclear power stations to cope with the demand. But when they are struggling to get Hinckly C off the floor and the Japs have binned the one in North Wales, the petrol and diesel cycle will probably come back round.[/QUOTE

sure yr right, hope only batt i worried about then is in mobility cart! and just for the fun i might convert the thing to a 2 stroke and plenty of castrol R just cos i like the smell ....
the cynic in me(well known now ) says that the state will have penalized us into the next scheme by then, for the average worker something like a pushbike costing,probably even more to tax....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
lovelly has just pointed out that she does not consider that i had much "domestic " training ,I reflected for a moment then pointed out that i did do domestic science /home economics at school . and what i learnt from that was to ORGANISE a solution , and that its called lovelly !!

Do let us know which hospital you're in. We'll pop by to visit while the broken bones set:)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cant be that bad,still got lunch ..

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Small update. Today I had to get a new differential pressure sensor - it cost me 90EUR with a MB Club discount.
Is there any way to force regen the DPF while stationary on W204 C200 OM651? Th eonly option I can see in Special Function is to force regen during drive.

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Another update. I have change of the differential pressure sensor, the fault code about the sensor dissapeared however the fault code regarding soot content stayed:

P246309 The soot content of the diesel particular filter is not OK. There is a component fault.

The fill level of DPF was shown as 219% and the ash content was only 2.0g so it was low. I was trying to force the regen while driving however what happen was car was going into the limp mode straight away. On history of regen I could see that car was trying to perform a regen however it could not be performed due to the stored error code about the soot content. I have found a document in WIS saying that if any sensor or part relating to DPF system has been replaced we have reset the adaptation values for the whole system to unblock the regen. I have done that and the fault ode dissapeared. I have force the regen and I will check if there was a successful regen performed. My control unit for the engine is CDID3

Is this normal?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That manifold issue is just another depressing saga of modern engines and their makers, I think it's questionable as to fit for purpose. Benz have, in my view just created a requirement where there really has not been one since Henry Ford. Progress for Benz, no progress for buyer, owner.
Buying manifold to get bolts!!!! ... Nuts.
Prob is We dont know all this crap when buying new, I have bought my last modern Benz....

Last edited:

Angol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 62
What is a rough guide on price for the inlet manifold to be replaced?

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I think the last one I did was about £850 inc vat. The manifold is in the region of £350 on its own iirc. There are quite a few gaskets involved and a good few hours. If you have the broken bolt to extract it’ll be however long that takes on top of the book time.

David1968

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E220cdi sport coupe AMG
I don't often have time for this sort of thing, but I'm away to the Lake District on Friday, so have run the work down at the shop this week. I have had an entertaining one Monday/Tuesday so thought I'd share it...

The car came from a mechanic up the road. He's pretty good normally, but just goes to show that anyone can make a mistake. Tidy 204 estate with 37,000 miles on it came in with limp mode. He scanned it with a snap on machine which reported "boost pressure too low, check turbocharger". Well don't ask me why, but he merrily trotted off down the garden path laid for him by mssrs Snap and Off, and replaced the turbo. Twin charge unit, Christ knows how much! He also fractured the oil supply pipe - beware, when you remove the pipe support bolt from the turbo it does become very fragile... Anyway, I digress.. Of course, when rebuilt the car was exactly as before, hence it was dropped on my doorstep.

Immediately I could sense a bit of a hiss on the left side of the engine and conducted some tests with Star. Engine revved up and down for a bit and Star reported a boost leak. Quelle surprise! Star then suggested a test with a bit of fancy merc kit which I don't have, but I do have a smoker. Test revealed a lovely plume of smoke from under the inlet manifold. Well, I assume manifold but you can't even see it!
First things first, ring Cole and see if he has ever seen this before, 'cos it's a new one on me! No joy, he's never seen one either... Cue four hours of stripping to discover one manifold bolt sheared in the head, probably like that from new...
4C24CBD1-AD80-443F-A550-4D8A9583AA21.jpg

Here it is, close up
2A1FE587-D440-45A2-B9C2-FAA80D0C054B.jpg

Hot gasses from egr had eroded the plastic behind the gasket and pushed through the underside of the manifold
0A21BBE1-FCEE-427C-9A2B-10FB3DC081CA.jpg

B82F6156-D7CC-4223-A3F3-E822AD37541D.jpg

Because of the location, drilling out the broken stud was looking doubtful, so I used an old mechanics trick of holding a washer over the broken bit and welding through onto the stud. Tack a nut onto the washer, and simply unscrew.
C42843C1-4C6E-4058-A6BB-684091C8684B.jpg

FEEA90BF-24E7-4BD7-877F-88F56E0021FC.jpg

New manifold arrived today, at vast expense. Five hours later it was all rebuilt, teach-in of new swirl flap motor, refill coolant and road test. All golden on a beautiful sunny day!!
Ive got a 2011 E220cdi ive been told my inlet manifold is leaking (crack) is this common on my car?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

David1968

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes very common
Thank you. I live in Scotland, ive tried to source the part here but told main dealer direct (cost a fortune) will need to try get it from down south.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you. I live in Scotland, ive tried to source the part here but told main dealer direct (cost a fortune) will need to try get it from down south.

Sanity check the part number though!

David1968

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom