Cheap £4 oil filler caps from ECP/ GSF Leaking on OM605/606 engines.

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
Last two times I've looked under the bonnet theres been a spray of oil across the rocker cover coming from the oil filler cap.
I replaced it two oil changes ago, so its only been on 10k miles and been undone perhaps 5 times. I can't see anything wrong with it really, but if I rev the engine up past 3.5-4k using the throttle control in the engine bay I can see a bit spray out coming off the timing chain.
It is definitely off the timing chain and not piston ring blowby as I repeated the test but with the dipstick pulled out and not a hint of oil came from the dipstick tube but a little bit still sprayed out from under the filler cap.
Either the metal tangs have bent already or the seal has failed equally prematurely.
Are the OE Merc ones any better or should I buy another cheap one and transfer the new seal onto my original OE one which is still somewhere in the bin in my workshop?

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi I don't buy fake parts such as oil filers and oil filer caps.I have found in past they are not that good.Used a fake oil filter and the engine was tappeting a lot.replaced it with an oringal and went away

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
They're only £5.76 from Mercedes, you might as well buy a real one for the sake of £1.70...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom