1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a good cv axle brand

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Exp21, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Exp21

Exp21 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 C200 CDI Blue Efficiency MY2012
    Hi everyone! I'm about to replace the cv axle on my w245 B-class. The cv joint boot has a grease leak, I hear some clicking while steering from weeks so I think the best option is to replace the entire axle. Now the question is: excluding the genuine MB part whose cost is absurd, which brand should I choose? In the past I had a w169 (same engine) and an indy mechanic replaced both axles with some brand I don't know (he never told me but it was surely cheap) and the axle gave vibrations since new. They were bad, they had some play into the transmission. I heard many stories from MB technicians who told me not to mount non genuine parts. But I heard from a guy who installed a GSP axle that he was fine with the car, no symptoms. Can anyone please help me choosing? I really can't decide. I could buy a GSP axle for 80 euros, but other brands as Metelli or Meyle or SKF are up to 200 euro. Is this price difference justified by quality? Thank you very much

2. mioba

mioba Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
    The merc one is justified by quality i would say.
    ps why are you going through axles.

3. OP
    Exp21

Exp21 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Thank you for your reply! Putting on new MB axles would be a non sense. They cost around 780 euro each and in another 60-70k km I would break them again. It's a known fault of w169 and w245 models. The key is finding a good aftermarket brand

4. M80

M80 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Viano 639, 651 5sp Auto.
    I've used Titan for a prop shaft,
    recently I ordered a half shaft. As the flanges are so prominent they were damaged in transit, Titan refunded without issue (eBay would have anyway) and didn't require the shaft to be returned.
    I ordered again and again damaged in transit, but not as bad. This time the damage was repairable as I managed to drift off the flanges and reform in a vice.
    As it turns out the old flanges will fit the new shaft so I have a new one for free that is serviceable with some effort.

The quality looks good, but I can't give you a how long for I'm afraid. It 'might' be worth a punt as the prices seem reasonable to me.

Exp21 likes this.
  5. OP
    Exp21

Exp21 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Unfortunately Titan is not among the brands producing axles for my w245. But thank you very much!:)

M80 likes this.