Classic Mercedes - suspect mileage - Mercedes 450 SLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Berry

Reaction score
I have been looking for some time for a 450 SLC in good condition.  Finally I have found one but, having looked at the history, it seems that the low mileage which attracted me to the car is slightly dubious.  Basically an MOT certificate in 1984 states a certain mileage whilst one earlier states a higher figure.  This seems to coincide with a replacement of a speedometer in the car in the early 1980's.  Does anyone have any knowledge of, firstly, how I can check the actual mileage of the car, and secondly, how this state of affairs would impact on the re-sale value of the vehicle ?

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score
Classic Mercedes - suspect mileage

If the vehicle has been serviced by MB dealers, there may be a computer record of the mileages at each service, but I doubt if this would go back to the early eighties. There's nothing else you can do that would give you an independant check.

If the car is supposed to have a very low mileage and the records don't back this up, then I wouldn't believe it. For a car like the SLC, condition is everything. A car with a low mileage and a full service history that is dropping to bits will never be as saleable as a good car without paperwork. Restoration costs will quickly exceed the market value of an SLC no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom