Classic Mercs as daily drivers? - Seeking advice !

Status
Not open for further replies.

69Coupe

Reaction score
Hi folks,
      I'm a newbie so forgive me if this question has been asked every week since time began !

I amd considering using my Coupe as a daily driver and am just wondering are there any pitfalls?

Anybody out there doing so at the moment?

What are your experiences?

Simon Gray

Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Classic Mercs as daily drivers?

I'll be interested in any replies as I'm intending using my 72 W108 280SE as a dialy drive. Admittedly if it lets me down I can walk to work.. but still..
It is going to be outside all year round as I have a new house with a steep drive and a small garage, neither of which she'll fit on/in. Is leaving it outside in Winter a big problem?

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score

It all depends on the car, doesn't it? If the car is mechanically A1 there's no reason why you shouldn't use it every day. That's what they were built for!

As to the winter aspects, just bear in mind that older Mercs, like most makes, aren't as well rustproofed as moderns. Get the Waxoil applied on a regular basis if you're going out on wet and salty roads. Electrics are most likely to let you down in the cold and wet, so keep the ingnition and charging system in good nick.

OP

69Coupe

Reaction score

Yeah sorry guys I should've told you it's a 1969 280SE Coupe auto. It's in perfect condition and has been comprehensively rustproofed. I do have a new Merc also so I'm not too worried about the odd (very odd) breakdown.

I just wondered is there anything I should know about that regularly stops these old cars.

My daily comute would be 10-15 miles of mixed roads with only about 5 minutes of traffic delays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom