CLK 230 (2001) Roof Electrics

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Just read that whole thread again. I got a big-up from Malcolm at the end. Brought a tear to my eye. Proper bloke. Sorely missed.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Long ago I detailed all this out for another member, but it was before the upgrade, so doesn't find now with a search. I think his name was Abdul. I'll try a Google search for it

I'm sure you are correct though. Have 3 208 convertibles at the moment and still can't Remeber!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Does the window drop not happen on the switch rather than the manual roof lock?

Nope. Unlock the manual handle at the header rail, lift up, and all four Windows automatically drop. I cut my teeth on the 208. I was working on them when they first came out! Yes, I am an old git!

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230 Convertable. 2.3 litres
Thanks guys for the information, l did unlock the bow lock manually but the roof still did not operate.
I seem to remember changing the bow lock switch four or five years ago, but that does mean it hasn’t gone again.
Also the windows drop when the roof is unlocked but not when the roof switch is operated.
Finally l’m not sure about the indicator lamp and it’s operation, it’s now gone dark and l will check it’s function tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again for your help and advice.
Cliff

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys for the information, l did unlock the bow lock manually but the roof still did not operate.
I seem to remember changing the bow lock switch four or five years ago, but that does mean it hasn’t gone again.
Also the windows drop when the roof is unlocked but not when the roof switch is operated.
Finally l’m not sure about the indicator lamp and it’s operation, it’s now gone dark and l will check it’s function tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again for your help and advice.
Cliff

The switch we are referring to is the bow ram position switch, rather than the one in the bow lock in the middle.

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good morning,
Sorry for the delay in returning your comments it was late when l returned home last night, but l did try the roof yesterday lunch time. It’s the unlocking of the front screen which lowers the windows, the illuminated switch has not effect whatsoever. The switch remains illuminated, if the roof is then re-locked using the switch a solenoid valve (l think) can be he heard operating but the windows don’t move and have to be raised on each individual switch.
I will look today to try and locate the items you both recommend on your previous posts. Thanks for your suggestions.
Cliff

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi everybody,
As suggested by Uncle Benz l looked through the rear quarter lights this morning and it seems that the o/s hydraulic ram is visible, while the n/s is covered by the black sliding switch.
I was hoping this might have been the issue but no luck l’m afraid.
Cliff

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do check that its still attached to the ram, it may be in place, but broken halfway up.

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
Good point l’ll check in the morning, thanks for the tip. It would be good to see a picture of its attachment mechanism so l can understand what the whole part looks like who removed from the vehicle.
I guess l could enter its name on eBay and get an idea from that picture.
Regards, Cliff.

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
I looked through the n/s quarter light and l could see the switch in place at the top of the ram and located around the top pin, it also seemed attached to the body of the ram. I guess l really need to take off the inner trim to make sure it is slotted into position.
If l remove the inside trim can l check the switch?, continuity when it’s in the down position ? a positive feed when the windows are lowered and the roof switch operated etc?
Thanks.
Cliff

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good morning,
Sorry l haven’t been on this site for a number of weeks l spent the last three of them working long, long hours but on Friday l finally managed to source the sensor for my up/down limit switch fitted to my n/s hydraulic ram on my 2001 CLK 230 roof. The only problem, the salvage yard have sent me a picture and asked for a Mercedes part number as lm not sure what this switch looks like, l don’t want to pay out nearly £100 unless lm one hundred percent sure, can anybody help with this problem please.
Also what is involved in removing this component which is fitted behind the rear n/s passenger window trim.
Thanks, Cliff.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a large metal panel preventing access, it it has to be done from above with the roof on the middle position. The can sometimes be accessed from the top, but acceding it from the seating area is easier, just a lot more work.

Back seats out
Sill cover off
Rear seat covers off
Rear left trim off. Then you can get access

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom