CLK Cold-Start Engine Revs Jerk/Hunt

brightblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Auto Conv. 2005
Help please for a new Forum Member, with CLK 200 Cabrio. At morning cold-start, if the car is immediately put in D or R to move slowly out of its parking place, the engine revs jerk, jump or hunt violently as though trying to stall, until I put some revs on to drive away, then all is well. To overcome this embarrassment at cold-start, I need to lightly rev the engine, in Park/Neutral, to around 2000 rpm for about 10seconds before selecting the drive gear. No malfunctions etc. and the car runs perfectly apart from this. Any ideas please ?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You need to get this on STAR diagnosis, there is no doubt some fault codes stored and these will be the clue to your fault.

The last 200K engine with the 271 engine I had doing this turned out to be a stretched timing chain half a tooth out on the inlet cam. But also there is a pipe underneath the airbox which splits and causes this issue. I would suggest taking it to an Indie who knows these cars who can help further.

OP
B

brightblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Auto Conv. 2005
Thanks Steve. Some days after my original post, the Check Engine light came on solid. My local service-garage put his ODB on and said fault codes suggested an "air-leak" but no time to search for it. He cleared the warning light, but it returned after 2 days. Maybe the CE light and the cold-start annoyance are connected after all ? Problem to be explored further by garage next week.

Brightblue

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom