clk soft top problem

siloran

Reaction score
Anyone have this problem when you lower your top? Pull switch, rear window raises forward, boot opens, window lowers, top starts to retract and it moves a few inches and stops. Can be pushed down manually, the boot closed..... will go up without a problem, after the car has been turned off and restarted. Thanks, Bruce

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
If I understand what you are saying I think you haven't done the 'set' process. I had a 2002 model and you undid the latch above the windscreen and tension pulled the roof up about two inches. If you pressed the open button the operation started but stopped immediately.

Further investigation showed that when you opened the latch you had to push the roof up about 6-7 inches to the 'ready set' position before pressing the 'go' button.

alanlincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Elegance auto cab
Yes..we have had the same problem but you need to ensure the switch/handle is pushed a bit higher than you are at present then it should open fully and pack away without a problem...

OP
S

siloran

Reaction score
Thanks guys....I usually push up the top about a foot or so upon opening. I emailed Karmann and they said it was either stretched cables to the front bow, or one of 2 switches.....they said I'd have to go to the dealer to have the switches "read". Any thoughts?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
siloran, where are you? perhaps we can recommend someone with Star as thats what you need to read the faults

OP
S

siloran

Reaction score
thanks Mark...I'm in western North Carolina, USA....

OP
S

siloran

Reaction score
Problem Solved! the problem w/ my soft top was diagnosed and fixed by an independant MB mechanic.....The problem was that the wiring harness for the soft top had a grounded short in the wire that controlled the sensor that operated the top in the last folding function. The wires were rubbed through under the rear seat, reinsulated and it works good as new......20 plus hours at $50 per hours later! Now why coundn't the dealer that sells and services this fine automobile diagnose the problem correctly?? There will now be a battle to get my money back from their ignorance. Thanks to all of you that assisted!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom