cls320cdi sbc brake problem

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As mentioned by LostKiwi you need a new SBC pump module.

Not only has it hit the activation limit, which is a soft fault that triggers on time/running hours, but it's also not able to build any pressure supply, and shows an internal valve fault.

Assuming you have not got a split brake ljne somwhere, and the system is full, it would be worth fitting a used/refurbed unit IMO.

Reactions: DSK

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Nitrogen sphere replacement - £80 genuine Bosch and a 10 minute job - more or less self bleeding as you fit....

remove the old sphere with a rag to catch the 50ml that squirts out - note on the new part, half way on the threads is bleed hole - fit the new sphere and nip it up - then check / top up the brake reservoir to just over max, and turn on the ignition key - the pump will push the air in the sphere bleeding the module - then key off - fresh rag and gently undo the sphere (about 3 turns out) the sphere will push the the fuild and air out of that bleed hole on the thread. When all the air is out you can either do again for good measure, or just tighten it fully to around 50 ft lbs - recheck the reservoir level - key on pump fills the sphere again - then re check level a third time

I did a few checks and playing in Xentry - but there were no errors and no issues to investigate or clear - brakes feel a bit sharper....

Last edited:

Martin G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007
Hello everyone,

This is my inaugural post, and I'm eager to share my recent experience, especially since I've seen many discussions here regarding the SBC issues with Mercedes cars in the UK. I've noticed quite a bit of frustration about the warranty terms in the USA not being mirrored in the UK. I own a 2007 SL350 with 109k miles and recently encountered the dreaded red "reduced braking - do not drive" warning, with the car going into limp mode. Initially, replacing the brake light switch seemed to fix the problem for about 200 miles, but then the issue resurfaced.

In an attempt to save money, I bought a diagnostic reader which confirmed that the issue was indeed the SBC. Reluctantly, I reached out to my local Mercedes dealer, part of the Inchcape group. I've never used their service department due to the high labour rate of £122 per hour and didn't think it was justified for an older car. When I enquired about any extended warranty on the SBC in the UK, they suggested recovering the car to their shop for a diagnostic, at my expense, after which they could submit something called an Eskulab to Mercedes — presumably an out-of-warranty claim. Given the vehicle's age and mileage, they didn't seem optimistic.

However, considering the high repair costs and the well-documented SBC issue that Mercedes hasn't officially acknowledged in the UK, I decided it was worth a shot. So I had the car taken to them by the AA. The quote I received for replacing the SBC was just shy of £3k, which was staggering. My search began for a refurbished unit, preparing to shell out between £600 to £800 for the fix, and arranging to have the car recovered again.

I queried the garage about whether they had pursued a claim with Mercedes, and to my astonishment, they replied: "We have put an Eskulab down to Mercedes, and they have covered 100% of the cost of the repair for the SBC unit." To my relief, this meant they would also absorb the £122.50 diagnostic fee.

I just wanted to pass on my story, as it might provide a glimmer of hope for those facing similar issues.

Best wishes to all.

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
Martin

Can I ask which Mercedes Dealer that is ? I have an SBC fault an R230 with 49000 miles and Inschape are just over the road from where I'm currently sat, again never had it in there for anything.

OP
D

divvy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes cls320 cdi w219, c220d amg prem.
Nitrogen sphere replacement - £80 genuine Bosch and a 10 minute job - more or less self bleeding as you fit....

remove the old sphere with a rag to catch the 50ml that squirts out - note on the new part, half way on the threads is bleed hole - fit the new sphere and nip it up - then check / top up the brake reservoir to just over max, and turn on the ignition key - the pump will push the air in the sphere bleeding the module - then key off - fresh rag and gently undo the sphere (about 3 turns out) the sphere will push the the fuild and air out of that bleed hole on the thread. When all the air is out you can either do again for good measure, or just tighten it fully to around 50 ft lbs - recheck the reservoir level - key on pump fills the sphere again - then re check level a third time

I did a few checks and playing in Xentry - but there were no errors and no issues to investigate or clear - brakes feel a bit sharper....
Hi sorry, just seen this reply, so could i fit a new sphere but i would still have my countdown Fault or could i try fit sphere, bleed up and clear the brake countdown with my autel ?
Parked up and left the car again over the summer but got pinged a message and seen your reply that looks more promising without removing sbs and coding a new module.
Thanks for your help.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
my autel has the reset feature - but its interesting it doesn't say if you are changing it to say 60% now left, or 60% life used....

and when I next plugged it in xentry its always saying (in german) "do you want to use Summer ABS - Yes or No" not sure if that was there before or an oddity for Merc to know someone's been playing after a reset - or some madness of SBC that was always there - and trying a software update it wants a PIN

neither snap on nor autel (checking for faults) ever know anything about the existence of that german question...... which makes me think its an extra only they are meant to know about - but happy for anyone to shed more light

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I queried the garage about whether they had pursued a claim with Mercedes, and to my astonishment, they replied: "We have put an Eskulab down to Mercedes, and they have covered 100% of the cost of the repair for the SBC unit." To my relief, this meant they would also absorb the £122.50 diagnostic fee

that name allowed me to find this

Depending on the nature of the problem, you may be able to get some help with the repair bill out of DailmerCrysler UK if you argue a strong case and are persistant, and use the "ESKULAB" claim process.

WHAT CAN YOU CLAIM FOR?:

You can't use this on any fault, but you have a strong case if you have a *known/common* issue, or perhaps if you have something fail that could reasonably have been expected to last longer than it did.

Main dealer servicing is not essential to use this claim, but it will strengthen your argument if your car has always been to a dealer. Modifications and Remaps may have a negative impact on your success with this process.

We have successfully claimed for the following using the ESKULAB procedure, - i.e. after the warranty expired:
- Replacement Turbo (dealer quote £900, we paid £50)
- All Replacement Seals (dealer estimate £500, we paid nothing)
- Replacement Air-con pipes TWICE (dealers quote approx £300, we paid nothing first time, £7 the 2nd time)

Other things you should be able to claim for:
- SAM units - because this is a well known weakness, and most (if not all) SAM unit failures are due to water ingress and/or condensation caused by leaks through the bulkhead
- Clutch - Many owners report clutch failure at 30,000 miles or less. It is reasonable to expect a clutch to last at least 40-60,000 miles or 3-4 years, and probably a lot more. If your clutch fails early then this is poor design, or possibly the result of oil contamination from a gearbox leak. Either way it's a strong case for ESKULAB claim.
- Snapped Suspension Springs - again a common weak spot which many owners have managed to successfully claim for using ESKULAB.
- Premature Engine failure - fortunately not many owners have reported engine problems, but if say your engine packed up at 3 years old, having covered 20,000 miles despite being fully serviced at main dealers, then again this would be a strong case for ESKULAB.

WHAT CAN'T YOU CLAIM FOR?:

Of course as the cars get older and rack up more miles, the success of ESKULAB will diminish - it's all about whether the failed part(s) could reasonably have been expected to have lasted considerably longer, or have failed due to design faults, that we as the owners should not be expected to have to pay for.

And don't expect them to pay for replacement batteries, brake pads, bulbs, exhausts, wipers or any other "servicable" parts, or things that could wear out quicker simply because they've been given a hard life!

HOW DO YOU CLAIM UNDER ESKULAB?:

The procedure is, if your car has one of the common faults and out of warranty:
1. Approach the dealer and inform them of this.
2. They will probably examine your car and quote some extortionate amount for repair. At this point ask them to put in an ESKULAB claim with DCUK as you've seen on the internet that many others have had this issue.
3. They may respond to say that you can have the repairs done for free or for a small contribution (25% of labour) - in which case jump at it.
4. If they don't call DCUK yourself, ask to speak to Customer Services, and put in a complaint to say that your dealer has informed you that DCUK won't pay for replacement of the parts which are widely acknowledged to be of flawed design, or a common failure point. Cite forums such as this as evidence of many other owners having had the exact same problem.
5. Wait 2 days, and you will almost certainly get a call from your local dealer to say that DCUK have approved your claim, either in full, or making some substantial contribution to the cost.

Any contribution you make then entitles you to a 2 year warranty on the repair - very useful for cracked aircon pipes which have been known to fail every year!

Martin G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007
Martin

Can I ask which Mercedes Dealer that is ? I have an SBC fault an R230 with 49000 miles and Inschape are just over the road from where I'm currently sat, again never had it in there for anything.
Apologies for late response, it was Stratford upon Avon

Martin G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007
Martin

Ps. They replaced the unit with a shiny new one, SBC Hold has started working again and I’m not sure if it’s me, but the car somehow feels better to drive.

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
Martin

Thanks, may give local a try to see if they will accept anything. Well done on getting yours sorted :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom