Cold start 200E

fourstroke

Reaction score
I've got a petrol 200E on a 'H' Plate. Its got a cold start problem. I have spoke to local Merc agents and a local Merc salvage yard ( Dronsfield Mercedes-Wicked Site, have a look) and they both confirmed that the injector is the most likley fault as they have sold more injectors that cold start sensors. I fitted a second hand fifth/cold start injector and it is still the same. Any Ideas???

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
What exactly are your cold start symptoms? Could the "second hand" fifth injector be faulty too? If that's ok then try a new cold start sensor.

Did you actually check to see if the fifth injector was working before you replaced it?

Stu

OP
F

fourstroke

Reaction score
Cold start symptoms are:
Difficult to start
Massive flat spots
Cutting out.

Starts and runs great when warm.I stripped and checked the old injector and ran compressed air through it. I also checked for voltage on the plug to the injector, ( .2/4 of a volt for a couple of seconds). I did'nt check the second hand injector before fitting it. Do you think I should check it attatched to the vehicle or can you recomend a more foolproof way to test it? Thanks Ian

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Hi, Take a look at THIS thread. It should hold some answers for you.

Stu

frosty

Reaction score
Hey bud, I had a similar problem with my 230e. Look behind the battery and you will see a plastic cover, remove this and you will find a relay, OPV apparantley, with a fuse in the top , 10 amp, make sure this hasnt blown. This has something to do with the start up circuit..... if its not the same set up then sorry for the bad advice.... kia ora.

OP
F

fourstroke

Reaction score
Crap at starting

I have swapped EVERTHING on this F****** car with components from a known good cold starter belonging to one of my staff. I have had an auto sparky out to it twice with no result. YOU come on as ask me to check a FUSE!!!! Well, i just checked it, and it HAS blown. Its been swapped and tommorow morning will hopefully yeild results. My fingers are crossed. Thanks for the tip.You have possibly saved me an expensive trip to a dealers to have it pluged in to tell me that a fuse was blown. Cheers.
icon12.gif

OP
F

fourstroke

Reaction score
Result

No more problems with "Frosty" cold starts. Thanks Pal. Not only does it crank up first time, but the ABS light ( that has been on since the cold start problem occured) has gone out! I dont know how or why they should be linked but they obviously are.:confused: Thanks Again Frosty. Mission accomplished.
icon14.gif

OP
F

fourstroke

Reaction score
Parts

Anyone want a cold start injector or cold start relay for a 200E. £15 each + P+P :wink:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom