Coolant/Water leak in 190e

snoopy

Reaction score
Hi

The water in my 190e has been leaking since a few days. I have checked for any suspect spots, and it seems it's dripping out from a pipe that goes down along the engine. This is about 1cm in diameter, black and is visible to the right & behind the alternator, going down along the engine. I am not sure where it starts, but it looks like it comes from the joint where the big fat hoses from the radiator and the reservoir meet behind the fan. This is also visible when looking from under the engine as this pipe is joined/sealed only at the top end and open at the bottom.

The car is a 190e, 1.8. The water only drips when the engine is warm. After parking, it somewhat looks like the condensation drips when the AC is ON in a car, but i don't have an AC in my car!

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
Water leak on 190e

Any help on this?...

---

snoopy said:
Hi

The water in my 190e has been leaking since a few days. I have checked for any suspect spots, and it seems it's dripping out from a pipe that goes down along the engine. This is about 1cm in diameter, black and is visible to the right & behind the alternator, going down along the engine. I am not sure where it starts, but it looks like it comes from the joint where the big fat hoses from the radiator and the reservoir meet behind the fan. This is also visible when looking from under the engine as this pipe is joined/sealed only at the top end and open at the bottom.

The car is a 190e, 1.8. The water only drips when the engine is warm. After parking, it somewhat looks like the condensation drips when the AC is ON in a car, but i don't have an AC in my car!

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

guydewdney

Reaction score
Website
www.atct.co.uk
so this pipe runs from the main pipe to nothing? seems odd to me...

might be an overflow pipe? rad cap leaking, causing excess water to come out of pipe? blown head gasket casing excess water pressure?

i think you need to trace exactly where this pipe comes from...

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the message. I'll try to check on this pipe again.

There is an overflow on the water reservoir box just under the seal cap. There is no water coming out of there, unless it is filled above the max. level.

I haven't noticed any change in drive/performance of the car in the last few weeks to suggest blown head gasket.

Are there any other overflow pipes in the coolant system, other than the one on the reservoir?
This particular pipe also has a clamp attaching it to the engine side just before it's open end, suggesting it is meant to be there! but i don't understand why?

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
How much and how often are you having to top up the radiator reservoir?

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
The water keeps dripping when the engine is warm.
My normal drive is to work into town, about 8 miles each side, about 30 minutes due to traffic.
I have to fill it every 4-5 days from almost empty... or top it up (1 ltr approx.) every couple of days.

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
Does your heater work? Have you tried putting it on max heat and seeing if there is any change in the rate of dripping?

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
I haven't tried that. Will do this afternoon.
Could this pipe have anything to do with the heater?...

Under normal conditions, the engine temp stays ok (~80) till there is enough water in the system. Unfortunately, since most of my drive is in town, it doesn't take long (couple of days) for the water level to dip and temp to rise (~100).

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
It sounds very odd that the pipe doesn't go anywhere. It could therefore have become detached recently. If it comes off the fat hoses it could be a feed for the heater, although 1cm dia doesn't sound big enough.

Just something to rule out really.

I'm sure that sooner or later someone with a 190E or schematic of the coolant circuit will trace the pipe and let you know though.

Regards,
Jim

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

It is strange about this pipe! I am quite sure i have noticed it before... though never saw water dripping from it till recently when the car began to overheat due to water level going down.

It does not look like the open end of the pipe is meant to go anywhere. As i mentioned earlier, there is a clamp just before the end of the pipe holiding it against the engine block.

I have checked the oil dipstick and the oil is fine.

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
This thing is a bit worse now. Over the wknd i had an opportunity to look into another 190e 2ltr auto. I wanted to check for this mysterious pipe where my 190 is loosing water. Strangely, the 2ltr that i checked didn't have this pipe!
I am more confused now. Help please!!!...

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
Have you checked yet to see if the heater still works and if this affects the dripping?

joe bloggs

Reaction score
Sounds like the waterpump to me, small hose attached to it is for if the pump starts leaking, it channels the water away

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I did check the heater at full blow. The heater works fine, but there is no difference to the water dripping from the pipe.

Does the hose for the water pump go along the side of the engine? As i said earlier, this one is visible just right & lower to the alternator on the right side of engine (while facing the engine).

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
I've just been out and had a look at mine (1990 2.0 auto)and i couldnt find the pipe that your talking about!!!! Has yours got aircon? The only pipe mine has that goes anywhere near where you mention, comes from the water pump through the bulkhead to the heater matrix. But it doesnt sound like the one your talking about, sorry :sad:

Stu

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Come to think of it, after the pipe goes through the bulkhead it is connected to rubber hose by hose clips and these can work loose over the years, it might be worth a look mate.

Stu

OP
S

snoopy

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment stwat. I'll check it again. I did look at another 190 (2ltr, auto, AC) and that didn't have this hose either!

My car doesn't have air con.

The way this hose (~1cm dia) is connected with a clip to the engine seems that it's meant to go down to act as a drain-off for something.

In correction to the position of this hose:
It's just right & lower to the alternator on the LEFT side of engine (while facing the engine).

Apologies for the mistake.

Jordy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1.8
I have the same problem on my 190e 1.8, the pipe that go to nothing is dripping. What was the problem?

Jordy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1.8
This is the pipe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-124611_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-124611_Video Player.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 10

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It comes from the water pump.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom