Correct ATF for 2000 C280

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
I have recently changed the ATF in my W reg 2000 C280. The old fluid was fairly dirty so it needed doing anyway - mileage 84K, not sure if it had ever been done before?

The new ATF I used was Fuchs Titan 4000 which is as per the recommendation by Opie oils.

The 'box was not changing well before and I hoped this would help, but it hasn't really. Its ok in "W" under normal circumstances, but under kick-down or in "S" the changes are not smooth at all.

I am wondering if the ATF may be part of the problem as I have seen that late W202s should be using fully synthetic ATF whereas the one recommended by Opie is dexron III.

If anyone could confirm the correct spec / specific ATF that would be appreciated.

regards,

Dave

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
To be honest I have always been dreadfully confused over oil specs for MBs particulary ATF, I personally would always use MB fluid, because you don,t change the ATF very often and the potential bill for a failling Torque convertor (£1000 +labour) and/or gearbox replacement/reconditioning (£2000-£3000 +labour) will always persuade me. It might be expensive, but you know it is correct, and I believe the general consensus of opinion with most of the Indys to is to go for the MB stuff.
I believe you are correct regarding the ATF fluid in your gearbox being fully synthetic.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom