Corroded rear subframe. Staggeringly good service...

GuybrushThreepwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 2010 E350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY
My 2010 S212 E350 BlueEfficiency with 157,000 miles on the clock failed the MOT a few days ago with a dangerously corroded rear subframe. It was deemed unsafe to drive away. My car has been serviced by independent garages and by me, so has nothing close to a FMBSH.

I dropped it at Sytner Bristol Cribbs Causeway on Monday. They called me this morning to advise that the full cost of the repair will be covered. The cost of the repair if I had to pay would be pushing £3,000 at an independent garage so I'm assuming it'd be nearer £4,000 at a main dealer given their hourly rates.

I have to wait up to 8 weeks while the new subframe arrives from Germany but there's little they or I can do about that.

I figured it was a story worth sharing in case anyone else gets anything similar.

OP
G

GuybrushThreepwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it's a central thing rather than the dealer - they had to send a report back to Germany to get approval so I presume the dealer get paid either way? Regardless, though - fantastic service.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Quite common, there’s quite a few threads on it. Mercedes we’re covering all replacements, they’re a bit more choosy now unfortunately :(

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Great to hear I think most W/S212 owners are concerned about this I certainly am. I’ll save this thread just in case I need to use it in the future thanks for sharing.

OP
G

GuybrushThreepwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quite common, there’s quite a few threads on it. Mercedes we’re covering all replacements, they’re a bit more choosy now unfortunately :(
Sytner Bristol advised me they've never known Mercedes to decline to cover it. Maybe they are good at presenting a strong case and damning photos of the corrosion?!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I don’t think MB have much choice the subframes should last double that age of car not quite Alfasud territory but getting there

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Great to hear when a dealer/manufacturer just the right, ethical thing from get go! they win warm words and the customer gets sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Wow. Dealer standing up. I tip my hat to them.! Not a common outcome but great to hear
Remember, the (franchised) dealer are being paid the full labour cost and parts cost, by Mercedes-Benz AG, so they have an interest in pushing as many of these through as possible. Win win for the moment.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Do they rust from the inside? And if so is it possible to coat inside with something & maybe create a weep hole?

If it’s just outside>in, a periodic clean & waxoil should prevent it. You shouldn’t have to of course.

OP
G

GuybrushThreepwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The fella at the dealership said that when the cars were manufactured the coating that was applied to prevent corrosion was either inadequate or was incorrectly applied.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Do they rust from the inside? And if so is it possible to coat inside with something & maybe create a weep hole?

If it’s just outside>in, a periodic clean & waxoil should prevent it. You shouldn’t have to of course.
Yes, from the inside, Dinitrol and/or ACF50 is good to spray inside

Reactions: DSK

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
A f 50 magic potion that stuff. Used that on all alli rivited seams open to elements on my rockwell. Never saw corrosion.

Merc320_John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 SL320 1998 and W212 350cdi 2010
I was both pleased and relieved that MB is were willing to replace subframe on my 2010 S212 108000 mile car which had a full MB service history. My gratitude has waned since the 9th June when MB Brookland kept the car awaiting delivery and replacement of a new rear subframe. Since the 4 month anniversary I have made 2 calls to MB UK head office to register a complaint about the long delay in delivery of a new subframe and was promised a response within 7 days on both occasions, any response has yet to be received. MB Brooklands could not offer a courtesy car because they did not know how long the wait for a new subframe would be. So I have been without my car for almost 5 months with still no idea how long I will have to wait. I enquired about the cost of replacing the rear brake line when the subframe was off. I was quoted £1450 and told this was less than half price I hate to think what they would charge for the subframe if it was not a extended warranty job.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was both pleased and relieved that MB is were willing to replace subframe on my 2010 S212 108000 mile car which had a full MB service history. My gratitude has waned since the 9th June when MB Brookland kept the car awaiting delivery and replacement of a new rear subframe. Since the 4 month anniversary I have made 2 calls to MB UK head office to register a complaint about the long delay in delivery of a new subframe and was promised a response within 7 days on both occasions, any response has yet to be received. MB Brooklands could not offer a courtesy car because they did not know how long the wait for a new subframe would be. So I have been without my car for almost 5 months with still no idea how long I will have to wait. I enquired about the cost of replacing the rear brake line when the subframe was off. I was quoted £1450 and told this was less than half price I hate to think what they would charge for the subframe if it was not a extended warranty job.
Also, a 212's subframe does not really limit access to brake lines, so there is no benefit to doing it whilst the subframe is down on this.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I enquired about the cost of replacing the rear brake line when the subframe was off. I was quoted £1450 and told this was less than half price I hate to think what they would charge for the subframe if it was not a extended warranty job.

MB Exeter quoted me £1500 to do just the brake lines so that is a load of nonsense at £1450

Merc320_John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB Exeter quoted me £1500 to do just the brake lines so that is a load of nonsense at £1450
The quote of £1450 was just the rear brake lines so only £50 difference. the cost for subframe was in region of £3000 .

Merc320_John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also, a 212's subframe does not really limit access to brake lines, so there is no benefit to doing it whilst the subframe is down on this.
Thanks, good to know as I will probably end up doing the rear brake line myself or get the MB independent who failed the mot on the subframe and advised me to get the rear brake line done whilst the subframe was off. Is any body surprised that a subframe would take so long to be delivered to Mercedes World at Brooklands??

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, good to know as I will probably end up doing the rear brake line myself or get the MB independent who failed the mot on the subframe and advised me to get the rear brake line done whilst the subframe was off. Is any body surprised that a subframe would take so long to be delivered to Mercedes World at Brooklands??
Not really, but there are hundreds and hundreds of cars getting them done all at once. MB can't supply parts demand at the best of time. Its common for us to hear cars waiting on subframes for a few months. Often customers are driving the cars around until they come back into stock, which is obviously not ideal.

Top Bottom