Damage to paintwork on B class

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
Traded my old B class in yesterday for a 65 plate one which is an AMG premium + (not sure what the premium+ bit is...I'm not knowledgable with cars and their specs!)

Anyway as I say, picked the car up yesterday and when I got home I noticed a mark on the paintwork that I hadn't noticed when I bought it. Have added a pic. Both myself and my dad looked over the bodywork and are sure it wasn't there. It appears to be like it may have happened when it valeted. Anyway, contact the merc dealers I bought it from, the salesman was off today so is calling me tomorrow. Anyone had similar situation like this? If so how did merc deal with it? Just wondering what to expect! And any ideas on what may have caused the damage to it? Can it be repaired or am I looking at a respray

Another couple of things not bodywork related...the USB ports in the central armrest appear to be, well, empty...again...see pic! Is this what they should be like?

And last but not least...the advert for the car said it would have AMG mats in it. When I agreed the sale I pointed out that there were no mats at all. The salesman agreed to get them in for when I collected the car. When I collected it yesterday there were mats in it but just plain ones. The salesman fobbed me off and said there's not much to the AMG ones. Thoughts? Should I push for AMG mats?! Or am I being picky!

If you've managed to read this far then well done! And thanks of course

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    716.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0268.PNG
    IMG_0268.PNG
    281.1 KB · Views: 47

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

I'd get it back to them and get them to sort it out (paintwork) and if the paperwork says AMG mats then that is what they should be supplying (unless you're happy with what's there) there is no performance difference...

Do the USB sockets work? picture looks like the middle bit is missing, which if it is then the USB won't work. Again if they don't work take it back and let them fix it.

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
Hello and welcome,

I'd get it back to them and get them to sort it out (paintwork) and if the paperwork says AMG mats then that is what they should be supplying (unless you're happy with what's there) there is no performance difference...

Do the USB sockets work? picture looks like the middle bit is missing, which if it is then the USB won't work. Again if they don't work take it back and let them fix it.

No the usb's def do not work! It's like putting them into an empty socket. Thought they were faulty but thought I'd double check in case they were meant to be like that and I was just being a doughnut!

Paintwork. Like I say I'm fairly certain it wasn't like that when I agreed to buy it, I just have a feeling they are going to dig their heels in and say tough luck as it were.

Mats - feel a bit of a wally insisting on amg ones, after all they are just mats and whether amg or plain they serve the same purpose!!

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
The paintwork damage looks like a pressure washer has been too close and on for too long in one spot

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’ve seen this type of paint damage before on a car that had already had a paint repair, it may not be the case but worth a check, and yes it does look like the damage was caused by a power washer

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
Thanks all. Will see what they say tomorrow. Fingers crossed they sort it for me

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Do insist on the mats, from memory they are £70 a set, it’s what was agreed after all.
I would also agree with the pressure washer theory , when my car goes anywhere near a garage I make sure “Do not wash” is written all over paperwork.
Hope you get a satisfactory resolution.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Is it an AMG?

Yes - Insist on the mats
No - does it matter as long as they are proper MB mats.

Mine is an 'AMG line' has has the AMG
I would also agree with the pressure washer theory , when my car goes anywhere near a garage I make sure “Do not wash” is written all over paperwork..

I have posters in my windows...In Oz, my dealer in Brisbane had nubile young women that would wash the car while you waited....they could not understand why I did not want them to wash my car...

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The paint damage looks like an egg has been thrown at it, seen damage like it before from an egg. The shell leaves the small marks around the centre dent. Good luck.

Amg mats cost a lot more than standard and should be there if advertised with them.

USB ports need to be changed.

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
The paint damage looks like an egg has been thrown at it, seen damage like it before from an egg. The shell leaves the small marks around the centre dent. Good luck.

Amg mats cost a lot more than standard and should be there if advertised with them.

Blimey! An egg?! Who knew such a delicate thing could cause damage like that?!

Well if it was an egg or a pressure washer, any idea if it's an 'easy' repair?

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
I think I'll insist on the mats after all!

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Egg shell is the hard bit and when it’s smashed against delicate paintwork, the sharp edges of shell do the damage, like little chisels.

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
Egg shell is the hard bit and when it’s smashed against delicate paintwork, the sharp edges of shell do the damage, like little chisels.

Urgh. Sounds costly ☹️ And presumably the dealer won't be interested if it is caused by a poxy egg as that would suggest that the damage was already there and I'd missed it upon initially inspecting the car. Grrr

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

But it’s not Halloween !!

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
So...been to dealership. They had a go at polishing the mark out but no joy (as expected) there is a marginal improvement but I can still see it. Nothing more they could/would do. So that's that.

USB sockets. Part on order so will be rectified soon.

Mats. Also on order and will be put in car when USB sockets are done.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So...been to dealership. They had a go at polishing the mark out but no joy (as expected) there is a marginal improvement but I can still see it. Nothing more they could/would do. So that's that.

USB sockets. Part on order so will be rectified soon.

Mats. Also on order and will be put in car when USB sockets are done.

What are your plans for paintwork?
Maybe get a detailer look at it and see what they advise.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it is egg damage, the white marks will be primer and will not polish out.

OP
M

Michb90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class Amg premium+
What are your plans for paintwork?
Maybe get a detailer look at it and see what they advise.

Not sure what I'm going do as yet. Like you say will prob get some quotes and go from there.

I googled images of 'damaged paintwork on car from egg shell' and to be fair what was coming up appears to be identical to the damage on mine so I'd say it was actually quite a plausible explanation unfortunately.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
To me that looks like the residual damage left from seagull poo which was left on too long , baked in then ‘enthusiastically ‘ removed
That would have been there for a while so I’d get it back to the dealer to fix. Might be worth getting the opinion of s retailer as to whether I’m right then you’ve got a professional back up....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom