Dashcam - use of Mercedes camera.

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Well, finally got it installed, although I'm still waiting for the 12V/5V converter which I ordered from Amazon but in reality comes from HongKong. So at the moment I've taken it straight into the USB in the glove box.

The video quality isn't bad - it's not top quality, but more than adequate for the use. I'll have to try playing about with the contrast and exposure.

If anyone's interested, here are two little recordings (in one-minute bites) in their original quality (no point putting them on U-tube).

They're both in 1920 x 1080. I've tried playing them on Quicktime - it doesn't cope very well (jerky).
I'm not sure if the link below will work (you should be able to download/telecharger the videos once there). Could someone let me know if they work?

LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEOS: CLICK HERE

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
2 and 3 work just fine :D:D Not bad at all and it will do the job well.

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I'll pop up some pics of the (unfinished) installation.

I made quite a tidy job of it (I think :rolleyes: ).

The only thing that I don't like, is that I tucked it right next to the OCP, and you can hear a sort of chirping on the videos - sounds like we've got cicadas in the car . :D

Must be the fan in the OCP (?)

Not the end of the world, though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My next job but we are now in week 9 of rain every day.:(

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
My next job but we are now in week 9 of rain every day.:(

It's nice to know that you're getting your fair share of it. :rolleyes:

Just as well that it didn't all fall as snow . . .

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Just a few pics of installation:

I found a USB cable with an elbow mini B connection - sends the cable in the right direction with no messy loop:

5w2k.jpg

And made a little wedge for the foot - I found that with the curvature of the screen, the video was off-centered (made one face slightly convex to fit the screen):

r0r1.jpg

From the driver's seat (on the left :rolleyes: ), I can't see it (good, ;) ):

tb65.jpg

But for the passenger (right side), well you can't really hide it. :(

f9tp.jpg

Can't get rid of the cicada noise on the videos, though. It's not the camera making it (?), and I can't hear anything in the car.

Just have to live with it and pretend we're down in the South. :D

According to the dashcam forum HERE, there's a new model coming out soon with a glass lens and other upgrades, for much the same price. Whether it's worth waiting, I don't know. Always been a bit wary of new models myself.

While waiting for the voltage converter, I plugged it into the USB socket and this seems to give no problems. According to MB manual, it can supply 500 mA, so should be good.

Got to get out and do some driving now . . .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like this thread as its all being done for me:D:D

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I like this thread as its all being done for me:D:D

Don't congratulate yourself too fast, Malcolm - you haven't found where the cicadas come from yet. :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine is the CL so we can wait and see, I wonder if it is being picked up in the cable.

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
Following with interest, but there seems to be a lot of fakes around with poor IQ, I have a dashcam installed in the Lexus, only a cheap one with 480 resolution but has been running happily for over three years now without a hiccup, would be nice to upgrade to a HD 1080 camera soon, talking of small video cameras here is the wide angle lens from the cameras I used to use at work.......if you dropped one it would not break but you could never find it :D
DSC_1216.jpg

The camera body was 25mm long and 4mm in diameter as is the lens......super spy stuff ;)

Last edited:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I bought one of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181244084845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$(KGrHqR,!lIFJoESYyEZBSdPOciK,g~~60_1.JPG

I was going to wire it all in and stuff but tbh I ran the power out of the cig lighter under the carpet and up under the rubber on the pillar then just across the top of the visor and its almost invisible... easy to take off and remove... will post a pic to show...great quality though..and able to read number plates easy enough...

Last edited:
OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
That looks pretty big - what size is it?

Has a stick-on foot as well, doesn't it. I prefer those to the suction-cup thingies.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That looks pretty big - what size is it?

Has a stick-on foot as well, doesn't it. I prefer those to the suction-cup thingies.
nah its pretty small..doesnt interfere with view... it has a suction cup and a seperate sticky fitting depending on what you want... i take it on and off easy enough and the angle of the camera stays the same so i dont need to adjust it when refitting it...

Like i said I will post the pics shortly..

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Where did you buy your angled usb cable from? All the eBay ones seem to be in Hong Kong

I ordered it from Amazon France (since we live in France ;) ). The seller was "In21", but I would imagine you could find the same in UK. Watch out, though, because there are four different sorts of elbow cable, depending on which way they turn.

This particular one is made by Lindy, ref.31972.

PS This site seems to sell the model : BATTERYPOWEREDCANDLES

But I've never heard of them before.

Last edited:
OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Forgot to say that that ref. is a 2.00 meter cable, which is just long enough to get from the OCP , across the top, down the A pillar and into the glove box or the fuse box in the corner.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where did you buy your angled usb cable from? All the eBay ones seem to be in Hong Kong

There's no issue buying from Hong Kong that I have ever come across.certainly not for something that cheap.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
I bought one of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181244084845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$(KGrHqR,!lIFJoESYyEZBSdPOciK,g~~60_1.JPG

I was going to wire it all in and stuff but tbh I ran the power out of the cig lighter under the carpet and up under the rubber on the pillar then just across the top of the visor and its almost invisible... easy to take off and remove... will post a pic to show...great quality though..and able to read number plates easy enough...

Just ordered one of these, thanks for the headsup.....I saw the footage online and was impressed by the clarity especially at night, if it really is a Sony Exmor chip it should be excellent.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it's all badged as Sony including the box it arrives in....I will post pics and video later...

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom