De badging - how and why?

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500
Just a question I have often asked myself when seeing ads and articles referring to De-Badging.

How do people do this without marking the paintwork ( do they use a solvent or sharp knife) and more interestingly Why do people do this?

No particular point of view on this just wondered.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Various reasons, to disguise a small engine is one and to hide a large engine another.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Just a question I have often asked myself when seeing ads and articles referring to De-Badging.

How do people do this without marking the paintwork ( do they use a solvent or sharp knife) and more interestingly Why do people do this?

No particular point of view on this just wondered.

I cant answer the why, but I can answer the how. Its quite simple, the badges are held in place by two alluminium prongs, that are inserted into plastic sockets. To remove the badge simply use a flat piece of plastic and push between the badge and the boot lid, out it comes. If you want to remove the front badge, then open the bonnet and turn the locking device anticlockwise until it pops.:confused: But why would anyone want to do this?:confused:

OP
Pipemaster

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500
I cant answer the why, but I can answer the how. Its quite simple, the badges are held in place by two alluminium prongs, that are inserted into plastic sockets. To remove the badge simply use a flat piece of plastic and push between the badge and the boot lid, out it comes. If you want to remove the front badge, then open the bonnet and turn the locking device anticlockwise until it pops.:confused: But why would anyone want to do this?:confused:

So when they take the badge off they have to fill in the holes and have the boot lid sprayed??
Seems a bit extreme

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Depends, if it is just the model type rather than the star they are just stuck on

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All of the rear boot numbers from the 90s are held on with a self adhisive rubber backing.

To remove simpy warm the area with a warm air gun (not hot) and they can be pulled off by starting at the top, some folks use teeth floss.

No marks too the paint,residue can be wiped off with lighter fuel.

Malcolm

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
As Malcolm says

Not too hot, you can just gently pull them and *feel* when they're ready to lift.

As for the why: Why not? Keep 'em guessing ;)

Hibbo

Reaction score
As Malcolm says

Not too hot, you can just gently pull them and *feel* when they're ready to lift.

As for the why: Why not? Keep 'em guessing ;)

I think the boy racer max power types call such a car a 'street sleeper', must be great fun Dave!:D :twisted:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the boy racer max power types call such a car a 'street sleeper', must be great fun Dave!:D :twisted:

You can buy sheets of numbers and letters on Ebay USA and make up what you like.

With a few number you can have your own like SLEEK , SLOB, SCAB

Malcolm

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Like the SLOB one. If I ever badge it, that'd have to be the one :)

@Hibbo...just like to leave them confused ;) *But it's an old man's car*?????????????

OZ420SE

Reaction score
Easy way to remove the self adhesive badges is fishing line to remove the old badge and then lots of elbow grease and tar & bug remover to remove the residual rubber/adhesive.

I recently had to do mine to restore the badge to the correct designation as the PO had 'up badged' the car.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Easy way to remove the self adhesive badges is fishing line to remove the old badge and then lots of elbow grease and tar & bug remover to remove the residual rubber/adhesive.

I recently had to do mine to restore the badge to the correct designation as the PO had 'up badged' the car.

Cheers

please excuse me saying::
Too much rubbing can alter the texture of the paint in that area,Lighter fuel will wipe it off without any risk.

malcolm

rio678

Reaction score
I think they like doing it on the boot, for that smooth clean look. As for me i like my badges, i am not ashamed of what i have under my bonnet ;)

OZ420SE

Reaction score
please excuse me saying::
Too much rubbing can alter the texture of the paint in that area,Lighter fuel will wipe it off without any risk.

malcolm

wish I'd know that before I did mine (the lighter fluid trick):cool:

But yes, perhaps I should have said judicious rubbing.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
wish I'd know that before I did mine (the lighter fluid trick):cool:

But yes, perhaps I should have said judicious rubbing.

Cheers

I have over the years used lighter fuel (refined petrol) for switch cleaning and best of all removing the residue from sticky labels and price tickets on stock items, it does not harm any plastics, perspex or paint, the odd thing is it will not remove grease from human flesh like you get on remote controls.

At 49p a tin its worth having one around.

Malcolm

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I still had this thread on my brain this morning whilst driving to work, and would you believe it, there in front of me I saw an E Class (nice looking motor, maybe one year old) but it had a S350 badge on it:confused: When its so obviously wrong, why would anyone try to cover up the fact that they have a very nice E Class:(

Andy Wr

Reaction score
Sometimes a debadged boot lid can look really clean and totally change the look of a rear end, I once saw a red Sierra with no boot badges on and highly polished, looked really nice, boy racers do it, my old C180 had the C180badge removed prior to me buying it, probably to hide the small engine as with AMG wheels the car looked the dogs, C180 looses all street cred!

OZ420SE

Reaction score
I still had this thread on my brain this morning whilst driving to work, and would you believe it, there in front of me I saw an E Class (nice looking motor, maybe one year old) but it had a S350 badge on it:confused: When its so obviously wrong, why would anyone try to cover up the fact that they have a very nice E Class:(

The 'up badgeing' is a very SE Asian thing.

Don't know about China but it's rife in HK and Singapore.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom