Defense against attacks on Keyless Go cars

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The funniest thing to come out of all this "wonderful" new technology is more and more people are talking about buying a good old-fashioned physical disabling device such as krooklok, or wheel clamp.

Isn't progress great?

I think a steering wheel lock is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
If a car thief wants your car, he'll have it with the physical deterrents on offer.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So would I if they still have ABC suspension;)

Just fit THIS and forget it.

Thieves learned how to break into cars with central locking 20 odd years ago, KG isn't infallable even with a rolling code, but the above, connected to the Canbus under your carpet simply disables the car. Only you know the sequence to disarm it.
If Commandonline feel its the best deterrent against your car being stolen, its good enough for me.

I'm seriously considering the Ghost, I agree if it's good enough for Alfie then...sadly he's too far away from me though!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I'm seriously considering the Ghost, I agree if it's good enough for Alfie then...sadly he's too far away from me though!

I'm thinking about it as well. Long trip but I have friends down there and will make a long weekend of it.

I'm just a little anxious about taking a brand new car and letting people (with all due respect to Alfie) fiddle with the wiring and clever stuff!

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I think a steering wheel lock is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
If a car thief wants your car, he'll have it with the physical deterrents on offer.

It is all about making it harder for the opportunist so that he goes to the car next door - I agree that if your car has been specifically targeted, then the chances are that not much (except probably the ghost) will help.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

I'm thinking about it as well. Long trip but I have friends down there and will make a long weekend of it.

I'm just a little anxious about taking a brand new car and letting people (with all due respect to Alfie) fiddle with the wiring and clever stuff!

The Ghost product can be fitted at your home or work rather like Tracker.
Not necessary to go to Alfie to have it fitted although he recommends the product.

http://www.autodefence.co.uk/autowatch-ghost.html Click on the professionally fitted box.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It is all about making it harder for the opportunist so that he goes to the car next door - I agree that if your car has been specifically targeted, then the chances are that not much (except probably the ghost) will help.

Quite so. If you and your neighbour have identical cars and one has some kind of deterrent, the other one will be more likely to be stolen.
I'm all for security, but the steering locks etc present no problem to the experienced car thief

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
My point was more about how, like contactless credit cards, "progress" has given us DECREASED security.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not necessary to go to Alfie to have it fitted although he recommends the product.

http://www.autodefence.co.uk/autowatch-ghost.html Click on the professionally fitted box.

I saw that Roger, my issue is almost the opposite of Rory, in that one of the only people I would trust to install something like that on a (in my case fairly) new car. Suppose I have to trust someone with it some time!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I saw that Roger, my issue is almost the opposite of Rory, in that one of the only people I would trust to install something like that on a (in my case fairly) new car. Suppose I have to trust someone with it some time!

Day Trip :cool:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)

Via MSL I think would be a good idea

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

If I go for the ghost, I shall make the pilgrimage down south :D

Yellowduck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class
My Son got a new Fiesta ST3 last March, and they were getting nicked everywhere due to the keyless. The thieves were putting in the front off side quarter light, which did not set off the alarm, and plugging into the OBD port and driving it away. He was going to buy an ex demo from a local dealer and arranged a test drive. When we arrived, the car had been nicked the night before!

As he works for Network rail and often leaves his car in remote station car parks he has taken quite extreme measures.

1) Cobra thatcham immobiliser fitted. Unless the alarm tag is in the car with the car keys, the car will not start. This cost about £250 fitted.

2) Disklock - I know what has been said here, but he can fit/unfit in about 10 seconds, and it is probably the most secure of all the wheel type locks.

3) The OBD port has been moved from where it is factory located, further under the dash, so it is unaccessible unless you know where it is.

4) At home where the cars are kept on the drive, we have HD CCTV covering all angles.

I appreciate this may sound extreme, and I know cars are insured, but for a 22 yo having to make a claim for a stolen car would send premiums through the roof.

When I got my E class and they tried to upsell keyless option, I politely refused:D

Last edited:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.

These sort of devices are best installed well out of sight of anyone so that no-one except the installer and Autowatch themselves know where it is. If someone knows where the device is, they can remove it.

We bury them in a number of different places whichim obviously not going to reveal. We even bind them up inside an existing loom using genuine Mercedes loom tape. You would never know its in there ;)

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom