Diesel additives - any good

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E350 Bluetec AMG Night Edition Premium + 5dr
I've read a few threads with both neutral and positive responses about using additives, like Redex to clean injectors/and other components. My E350 diesel has done around 30,000 and I run it on Shell V-Power and I wondered if it was worth adding Redex or is there something better? Have seen posts from others suggesting adding 2-stroke and others saying Redex can't do any harm but does anyone have any serious use data with definite improved performance and can anyone verify that these products will not harm the injectors or engine.

Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why bother on a car with only 30k miles?
Given you already use v-power I can see little point in anything extra.

Redex is not much more than kerosene, an oil fraction not much different to diesel.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
As above

V-Power

I particularly stopped replacing Audi 3.0 EGR cooler assemblies @ £700.00
and advised customers to use V-Power for 6-8 weeks after testing V-Power
on various engines that had been fed lower grade fuel.
80% cleaned up and dropped the fault code.

Definitely not a placebo effect and no need for anything else to be dumped in the tank.

200ml per tank of mineral 2-stroke can be used on the older CDI engines to lubricate the fuel system when using cheaper fuels or a fuel source that's lower quality.

Later adblue - blue efficiency system should be using higher quality fuel by default and not use any additives unless at the point of service and a recommended fuel system dosing applied to remove/prevent diesel algae forming.

Last edited:
OP
Richard65

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E350 Bluetec AMG Night Edition Premium + 5dr
Thanks both of you...really helpful....it's a Bluetec so I'll stick with V-Power.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I asked an engine design engineer about these a while ago. His response was, "it can't do any harm".

Really, what they are best at doing is putting money in the hands of the shareholders.

TheBlimp75

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLS 350 107k
I asked an engine design engineer about these a while ago. His response was, "it can't do any harm".

Really, what they are best at doing is putting money in the hands of the shareholders.
What about additives for Petrol engines?
Namely a CLS 350 , heard differing stories aswell ?
Anyone got any first hand experience?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What about additives for Petrol engines?
Namely a CLS 350 , heard differing stories aswell ?
Anyone got any first hand experience?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Same as above. I've never felt an additive was value for money.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
As above

V-Power

I particularly stopped replacing Audi 3.0 EGR cooler assemblies @ £700.00
and advised customers to use V-Power for 6-8 weeks after testing V-Power
on various engines that had been fed lower grade fuel.
80% cleaned up and dropped the fault code.

Definitely not a placebo effect and no need for anything else to be dumped in the tank.

200ml per tank of mineral 2-stroke can be used on the older CDI engines to lubricate the fuel system when using cheaper fuels or a fuel source that's lower quality.

Later adblue - blue efficiency system should be using higher quality fuel by default and not use any additives unless at the point of service and a recommended fuel system dosing applied to remove/prevent diesel algae forming.

Hi Westheath, sorry to jump in on this but I’m interested to find out.
Would my E350, with 111,000 on the clock benefit from running on V -Power ?

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A lot depends on how you are using your diesel engine.

In my part of the world they potter around never seeing a motorway.

Yet when I'm up at the Leicester or Cambridge workshops those customers are using the M'ways
frequently and this is where diesel engines get to clean up themselves even on cheaper fuel to a certain extent.

Modern diesel engines are becoming more sophisticated and rely on quality fuels and oils to run them.

So give it a go with V-Power, and I mean a good month or so not just £20 here and there,
and see if you notice a difference in mpg return and the general "feel" of the car.

That said I have only recommended it when there's been a fuel related problem,
and when corrected, regular branded diesel is used (non supermarket).

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi Westheath, sorry to jump in on this but I’m interested to find out.
Would my E350, with 111,000 on the clock benefit from running on V -Power ?
Millers do a diesel additive I've used in the past and always felt it improved the engine feel . Also Archoil AR6400d I've used yearly .
I add an Archoil Cetane enhancer (makes the fuel burn hotter and cleaner) which has a lubricant to counteract the effects of low sulphur diesel fuel . I'll look up this and edit the post (AR6850 is the stuff)

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Only used at weekends, but usually gets a Blatt down a motorway or dual carriageway.
I will give the V-Power a try for a couple of months.

vanmaster26

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ML 300 Sport
Only used at weekends, but usually gets a Blatt down a motorway or dual carriageway.
I will give the V-Power a try for a couple of months.
If you got a Diesel i swear by using 2Stroke Oil google it runs smoother ,quieter,a little more response but the main factor is your adding the Lubricity that being removed by the oil companies namely pulling the Lead out of the diesel

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Much of this is subjective isn't it?

I also add 2stroke to every tankful, and even if it doesn't do anything it SEEMS to run smoother, and makes me feel better having added it. I even feel guilty if I forget!
But hey, the car goes well enough when I forget. The next person who buys it will do something different, or drive it in a different way, and he'll be happy with his results I'm sure.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Much of this is subjective isn't it?

I also add 2stroke to every tankful, and even if it doesn't do anything it SEEMS to run smoother, and makes me feel better having added it. I even feel guilty if I forget!
But hey, the car goes well enough when I forget. The next person who buys it will do something different, or drive it in a different way, and he'll be happy with his results I'm sure.
I've been doing the same for a couple of years with a mix of Cetane as well , and I'd agree it does seem to be smoother

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I'll always add 2 Stroke when multiple year results from the same Boston derv smoke opacity machine confirmed a halving .

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Soon we'll be on to the old "supermarket fuel is scraped out of the bottom of tanks by children"

I have been using Costco's fuels they have apparently deposit control agents to keep your internals clean;

https://www.costco.co.uk/fuel-q-and-a

Does it run any better hmm thats a good question.........

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh dear,
Assuming no children are being harmed in this thread..................;)

If you read the thread in its context,
its about how a diesel engine is used versus diesel quality.

In my experience, where I am, they are plodding around in traffic 80-90% of the their life.
And so I find changing to a better fuel quality, when a problem arises,
makes a huge difference when its applied 100% and has cured some common faults.

In other areas I live/work where cars are not stuck in low speed traffic environments,
there are less EGR DPF emission related faults that come to our workshops,
hence no need to be using a higher quality fuel.
I cannot make or prove a direct correlation only what I know from my experience.

If you want to take fuel samples and do comparisons of what fuels are actually doing what, have fun with that.
I can only state what I have personally found in this area over 30 years of diesel repairs.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom