Diesel engine Preventative maintenance during lockdown

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
As we are all on lockdown my cars aren’t getting the sort of driving that I had originally bought them for. Our local supermarket is only a 3mile drive each way and I am a little concerned that the short trips will have an adverse effect on the car - ie DPF blocking etc...

How big a concern should this be if I were to use it 1/2 times a week for a trip to the supermarket? Most of the way there and back is 60mph roads.

are there any additional steps I could take to minimise the the risk of DPF issues? I have a good handheld diagnostics tool that will allow me to force regen and also have access to Star if required. At the moment I am trying to alternate between the ML420 & the CLS and keeping batteries charged with a top up from the mains once a week.

Mark

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Already using it Wighty. Is there any other way to drive a car, I have always found the accelerator to be a binary thing anyway. If I did cheat and go the long way home, how long and how often? For example Every 5th journey?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Already using it Wighty. Is there any other way to drive a car, I have always found the accelerator to be a binary thing anyway. If I did cheat and go the long way home, how long and how often? For example Every 5th journey?
We are all struggling with the same keeping batteries topped up issues . I would think you are doing all you can at the moment and I doubt the car will notice .
Maybe your return supermarket trip could be pushed up to 15/20 mins would get it all up to temperature and cleared out ? Every other trip ?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I'm down to one car now - others all Sorn'd.
I've noticed that tyres on the unused cars are slowly losing pressure, and disc brakes are beginning to rust. If this lockdown goes on much longer I'll have to think about proper mothballing.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
are there any additional steps I could take to minimise the the risk of DPF issues?

Mark

My view is that if the car starts a DPF regen run it for at least 15 mins even if that means sitting on the drive with the engine running at 1000-1200 rpm to finish the process. A regen under normal circumstances takes circa 15 minutes (10miles) on the road. I have two cars one diesel and the other petrol so I only use the diesel on longer runs at the moment which helps the situation

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Many thanks guys - food for thought.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I'd be more concerned about the battery, even if nearly new. I had a 4 month old battery replaced a week or so back as it was faulty, first time key opened doors etc, dash lit up but ignition did nothing. Second time, less than a week later and after a full charge, key would not open car, had to use emergency key and emergency +ve under bonnet! Battery replaced under warranty, condition tester attached to battery where I can see it, after a week it changed from fully charged to half charged so had to put the charger on it!

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Good call.

I think I will leave all of them with the bonnet open but on the catch. We live in the back of beyond, so shouldn’t be a problem.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I get the wife to use mine the once a week she's goes out. It's literally 600yards to the supermarket from ours. I'm dieing to fill her up and Flog her down the motorway. Hello hello hello what's going on here then. Well officer I needed get the car to regen and yes it is essential before you ask. o_Oo_Oo_O

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom