DIY servicing impact on resale.

Funkyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 14 plate
What impact if anything does DIY servicing have on the price of your vehicle come trade in or private sale? Obviously would keep all receipts for consumables used.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What impact if anything does DIY servicing have on the price of your vehicle come trade in or private sale? Obviously would keep all receipts for consumables used.
Zero...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Buying or selling...?
If buying drops it by ££££ ;)
If selling no difference at all :rolleyes:

Keep a history of all the bits you've used and when and as long as it's been serviced to the schedule (or above @Wighty :D) then can't see the issue.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
It depends significantly on the age of the car and dealer service history(or independent) up to the point of home servicing. A full main dealer service history is generally expected up to 3 years old.
For example trading in an 8 year old car with partial dealer history up till say 4 then home servicing - probably no difference but expect them to try it on anyway.
If selling privately some people may be put off, but beyond a certain age/price it should make no difference.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Although I use an Indy to service my MB's I have never been asked about service histories when P/Xing on any of them :rolleyes::)

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
It will always come down to who you are looking to sell to / trade in against.

No matter what all the other answers say - I have always been asked if my car has a full service history come time to trade it in.

Mind you my cars are fairly new - so I can't truthfully say how much it would affect the price on an older car without history - probably not a great amount I would suspect.

But I can say having a full history will not count against it, and can only help the sale go through.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
I think it does make a difference when selling privately, particularly if the resale is high/depreciation is low - a FSH is more appealing and offers a private buyer reassurance if spending £4k+

However, you do need to factor the savings; you can do a DIY 'A service for perhaps £40-£60, whereas a dealer would want perhaps £200 and an indy perhaps £150. This can mount up considerably over 5-7 years if on an annual service plan (B services are even more). I could see £500 - £800 saving.

Yes, ironically it probably comes off your private asking price, so swings 'n' roundabouts!

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Easy to check. Enter reg into webuyanycar or any similar site. Do it once with full service history, then try again with part service history?

Terminology is a bit open to interpretation.

I do my own service. But I document, and photograph every part changed or moved. I record everything I inspect with detailed records and provide all the receipts and log any issues and fixes in between services. So my car has service history, but not a garage based service history.

Is it worth less? Not in my book it isn't.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It depends on many things, chiefly what the vehicle is.
Some vehicles are very fragile and expensive to fix if not maintained properly (Bentley Turbo R for example).
Others can be fixed by Fred in a shed with no worries (think Ford fiesta/focus etc).

Also depends on the level of documentation. For example if you have a notebook with dates and details of work performed backed up with receipts it's a different matter compared to a squiggled signature in the service book.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I always take a real good look around cars I buy.think I can spot a cared for motor. Yet to buy a dud. Tho any second hand modern benz would be a far more likely possibility than any car I have previously bought..

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Never had a problem selling a car which has been self serviced... though I have tended not to DIY until something is either at 100k miles or after about 4 years.

that said I’ll still do brake pads and discs myself before then if needed

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If I was buying and the seller was a motor engineer, I think - in conjunction with a detailed look around, I'd easily conclude that the car's probably been better serviced than it would have been by a dealer.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

I wouldn't buy a (newish car <5 years old) that had not been serviced by the dealer or a reputable indy!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy a car without a full documented history unless it was >10 years old - why take the chance. Part MBSH and Independent is usually what you find with older MBs. If I was presented with a comprehensive well documented service history carried out by the owner I might feel comfortable enough to part with my hard earned cash

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
We have bought 6 MB cars in the last 20 years all second hand. Two private purchases, one from Arnold Clark, & three from MB, all with full MB service history. All kept until they had done between 90 & 120K miles, & no major issues.
Other than consumables, the only other issues were a shock absorber, a coil spring, & front suspension bushes.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Last time i did a trade in the dealer looked at, I assume Glass's guide, and gave price without looking at the car

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom