Draining w202 fuel tank

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
I understand the w202 tank doesnt have a plug you can just open and the fuel runs out. Supposedly you need to pump the fuel out. Is this corect?

Whats best way of draining it? I want every drop out before i fill up

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
I understand the w202 tank doesnt have a plug you can just open and the fuel runs out. Supposedly you need to pump the fuel out. Is this corect?

Why do you want to drain it completely if you want to fill it up again?

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
or just remove the feed pipe to the engine, remove tank cap and drain it from the engine feed pipe
also, you could try removing the tank filter if there is one fitted.

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
or just remove the feed pipe to the engine, remove tank cap and drain it from the engine feed pipe
also, you could try removing the tank filter if there is one fitted.

Couldnt this cause an air lock?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
no worse than removing a bung at the bottom of the tank would. and if the pipe to the engine was capped with something (like a piece of rubber hose with a bolt etc jubilee clipped into one end and clipped to the fuel pipe in the other,) there would be very little fuel lost so the air ingress would be negligable

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
veg oil

I take it your veg oil woes continue.........

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
I take it your veg oil woes continue.........

Unfortunately yes. Thinking to drain the tank and start afresh. Bought brand new battery, changed filter and cleaned prefilter and just want clean start :D

Will draining it take out everything? I dont want any sludge/dirt left

Garage has said they can drain it for me at a price of course :p

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
tank

had a quick look on google but cant tell whether both have saddle tanks, if so best way to drain would be to take the twin sender units out of either side of the tanks however as sediment settles on the bottom unless you get your hand in and wipe etc Id have thought quite a bit of muck would stay in, or swill them out ,(also access to a ramp or a good strong neck needed)

I tend to prefer the least laborious option which for me would be to extend the feed pipe on the inner wing and fit a nice big clear inline gauze filter into it theyre only a £ or so and change them as they clog up shouldnt take too long to purge the system that way

If youve got "diesel bug"/slime in tank also due to water in veg oil contaminatioin the gauze will trap that aswell before your paper filter suffers

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is not easy to take it off, if there is a pipe low down that might help if you disconnect unless you get an engine oil sucker take out the pump and suck it all out is all I can think of

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
It is not easy to take it off, if there is a pipe low down that might help if you disconnect unless you get an engine oil sucker take out the pump and suck it all out is all I can think of

A garage should be able to do this fairly esily yeah

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
The internet suggests that each sender has a threaded bung in it and as the senders appear to go in from the bottom of of the tank...

Pic of a sender
parts-Sender-Unit-fuel-tank-MERCEDES-BENZ-C-CLASS-W202-C-180-202-018-VDO---17-440791-auto-parts.jpg

Not sure whether fuel will drain from the ally bung without another fitting as the internet also suggests there's a check valve i.e. there may be a specific fitting that replaces the bung to get the fuel to drain. Either way it's not uncommon for a fuel tank to a right PITA to drain completely due to the baffling unless it's out of the car so it can be sloshed about or the fuel is pumped/syphoned out

Me, personally i would use the car to pump the fuel out i.e. remove a fuel supply line somewhere convenient and place in a suitable container. Run the lift pump and let the tank pump itself dry(ish). Can then pour in some fresh fuel and do it again to flush it.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom