Draining w202 fuel tank

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
strainer

Mechanic now informs he is going to remove sender unit and try fix that way. he says the prefilter was clogged again when he tried to rev the engine by pulling lever next to engine he noticed very little fuel and bubbles and suspects the block is at the tank

So did we agree whether the c250td has a tank strainer or not. Thats what he also mentioned :-(

no tank strainer

how did he drain the tank in the first place if he didnt remove the senders,,,,,,one each side

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Can someone please post pic of the preheater so i know where to connect the pipe into. The prefilters and bulb primer arrived to day in the post

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last edited:
OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
plumbing

disconnect fuel pipe coming into the preheater from the right hand side then plumb the bulb then clear inline filter into that pipe then reconnect as ive said before its probably easier routing the fuel hose over the top of the oil filter and engine then back to the preheater that way youll tell when the filters blocked and if you use clear pipe for the extension youll be able to monitor air bubbles if they appear

so long as youve got the bulb and inline filter inbetween the steel pipe on the inner wing and the prefilter youll be ok

with the bulb on youll then be able to bleed the system thru and just clean/replace the clear filter as it becomes blocked

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
disconnect fuel pipe coming into the preheater from the right hand side then plumb the bulb then clear inline filter into that pipe then reconnect as ive said before its probably easier routing the fuel hose over the top of the oil filter and engine then back to the preheater that way youll tell when the filters blocked and if you use clear pipe for the extension youll be able to monitor air bubbles if they appear

so long as youve got the bulb and inline filter inbetween the steel pipe on the inner wing and the prefilter youll be ok

with the bulb on youll then be able to bleed the system thru and just clean/replace the clear filter as it becomes blocked

So basically plumb the line currently going into preheater into bulb, cut it then plumb into filter then connect a clear line from filter into preheater or have clear line join bulb and filter and then into preheater

Does preheater itself have fuel pass through it, wondering if that could be blocked

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
plumbing

So basically plumb the line currently going into preheater into bulb, cut it then plumb into filter then connect a clear line from filter into preheater or have clear line join bulb and filter and then into preheater

Does preheater itself have fuel pass through it, wondering if that could be blocked

your first route is fine, i wouldnt have thought the preheater would be blocked but once youve done the plumbing the bulb will push fuel through so youll be able to tell ,just watch those inline filters as you want to use decent fuel hose clips and dont overtighten them, and not the worm drive jubilee clips as theyll tighten up and distort the hose/filter hosetails letting air in

If I were you Id leave the preheater connected so if you still have animal/solid fat particles in your fuel the heater will melt them and they wont block your paper filter

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Are diesel system cleaners like Redex any good at all or just a waste of money. Putting the inline filter and bulb primer tomorrow. Car running now, drove it from garage to my house 1 mile and mechanic said he had done best he could do

Dont want drive it till fit the inline filter and bulb. Surely if engine running even for a mile there cant be any lasting damage. Fingers crossed :wink:

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Took the car out of the garage, totally lost faith in the mechanic maybe because of language barrier (he is Polish i think)

He had fitted this inline filter (circled) when went to pick it up as i had told him i had bought inline filters. Is that the fuel feed line its fitted on? He didnt even clean the engine its now dirty :(

Secondly from the pics i took of the engine bay, where exactly is the preheater? Is that the round thing with hex bolt to the right where pipe with filter is leading into

yeah i got the diagram kindly posted by Yorkshire but kinda hard figure it out for a neophyte like me :p

filter.jpg
[/url] greenshot download[/IMG]

Where is the preheater and line going into it
IMG_0015.jpg
[/url] snagit[/IMG]

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
NO

that thing be the oil filter!!!!!!!

see the second pic top left handish that yellow plastic pipe, left hand end of it goes into prefilter and the right hand end goes into the yes youve guessed it the PREHEATER

make sure the pipe your friendly pole has plumbed up goes into the other end of that... all you need do is swap that inline filter with your new ones and the primer bulb when it becomes blocked/ car fails to proceed in the proper manner (as youve now become accustomed)

If hes plumbed it up to the black rubber pipe below the yellow one thats the wrong one as thats the return connection.........clear??

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
That's a hash-up.

He's bypassed the fuel heater AND by the looks of things the main and secondry fuel filters too!

I can't quite see from the pictures but the new fuel pipe appears to connect to the 'push' side of the fuel diagram.

Not sure why you have fitted another filter given there are two already.

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Please ignore my post above as I tried to edit it but no luck.

I cannot see exactly where the pipe connects to, but i would recommend keeping the fuel system stock as it works really well.

If you get stuck drop me PM and we can talk it through on the phone.

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Yorkshire so am i correct in saying the prefilter should be fitted to an longer hoser to replace pipe A as highlighted by me.

If C is the prefilter i am assuming that pipe into it is the fuel feed line

Is the opposite end of pipe A the preheater highted as B then just below the big 5 pipes which i assume are the manifold things for exhaust fumes?

Don't laugh if wrong please :p

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
pic

Yorkshire so am i correct in saying the prefilter should be fitted to an longer hoser to replace pipe A as highlighted by me.

Is the opposite end of pipe A the preheater highted as B then just below the big 5 pipes which i assume are the manifold things for exhaust fumes?

Don't laugh if wrong please :p

sorry I cant see any labelling on pics I see 2 pics in your post 70 thats all

So long as the end of the rubber hose the polish chap plumbed up goes into the unit I described in my previous post then youre ok to just replace his inline filter with yours and the bulb primer as/when needed with no extra plumbing necessary

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Sorry here is the pic

So the prefilter should be fitted to an longer hoser to replace pipe A as highlighted by me.

fix.jpg
[/url] screen capture windows 7[/IMG]

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes

yes youve got it, no need to mess with that pipe though, so long as polski plumbing goes into the other connection on preheater B youre good to go just follow his black rubber pipe behind the inlet manifold (your 5 big black pipes lol)without further plumbing just replace his inline filter with yours as and when

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
yes youve got it, no need to mess with that pipe though, so long as polski plumbing goes into the other connection on preheater B youre good to go just follow his black rubber pipe behind the inlet manifold (your 5 big black pipes lol)without further plumbing just replace his inline filter with yours as and when

That big black pipe he put that filter on was that not always there as standard Merc plumbing?. Let me try to see where the pipe goes. Spock had suggested it is the fuel return pipe in which case his filter is no use :mad:

Ignoring his work, so ideally the inline filter and bulb should be on pipe A then

Last edited:

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
read posts

That big black pipe he put that filter on was that not always there as standard Merc plumbing?. Let me try to see where the pipe goes. Spock had suggested it is the fuel return pipe in which case his filter is no use :mad:

Ignoring his work, so ideally the inline filter and bulb should be on pipe A then

yes that is extra plumbing polski has fitted to improve access..perfectly ok RE READ MY PREVIOUS 2 POSTS AS TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO to be correctly plumbed theres only so many times I can tell you

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
yes that is extra plumbing polski has fitted to improve access..perfectly ok RE READ MY PREVIOUS 2 POSTS AS TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO to be correctly plumbed theres only so many times I can tell you

Just cheked and the big black pipe when i traced it goes unnder the 5 manifold things into the preheater or the area B i highlighted

However when i started the engine and looked at the pipes i noticed there are a lot of bubbles in the pipes going into prefilter and coming out of fuel filter and bubbles in the inline filter he fitted. What does this mean

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom