Drink driving & country pubs.

C

C180 Chris

my original post was about responsible drivers who are allowed one or two drinks at a country pup.

This is a contradiction in terms, you can not be responsible if you go out and take alcohol (even if it is in a nice country pub) then get into a motor vehicle and drive it.

Your shades of grey lead only to people paying for your couple of pints or half or whatever you now say it is by being mowed down and killed.
I really doubt that i, as a REAL responsible motorist am in the minority here!!!
You have already justified your actions, so that is fine (for you at least)
Some things need to be black and white! Getting into a vehicle and driving it whilst under the influence of drink or drugs is illegal and no amount of half baked theories about reaction times or acceptable amounts will change that
fact!
Your nice country pub will sell alcohol at the same strength as a nasty inner city one would, and the lovely country roads surrounding thes little country pubs have no shortage of accidents on them (i wonder why)
If you take alcohol then drive you are a DRUNK driver as you are driving whilst drunk, and as such you should lose the right to share the roads with responsible motorists.
You can interperet the law any way you wish to justify your couple of pints, but you are WRONG! PLAIN AND SIMPLE

DRIVE SAFE!

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
simple answer drink affects your actions, recactions , toughts ect ....

for get the car get a taxi or have a person not drinking do the driving

is your life or the life of a friend or stranger worth a ....... fecking drink (as jack from father ted ) would say .

rant over

Lordjellybelly

Reaction score
When I was an undergraduate many moons ago in the name of science with three classmates we were invited each to drink a large whisky after having previously hit a test button on immediately seeing a light flash and being timed for our reactions. Twenty minutes after said imbibing the experiment was repeated with the predictable results of a 20% delayed reaction cf the original timings.Nuff said..................

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi, c180chris, you have "nailed yourself to the mast" on this issue. you are trying to make your own law on a zero alchohol driving limit, you also find it difficult to discriminate between people who have a small drink within the law and those who are drunk.

the country pub was just an example, all pubs serve drinks , it's the driver who keeps to the limits and enjoys freedom and responsibility.

you have no limits, just zero. if this makes you think you are clean and in some way better and safer driver than most people then good luck to you.

you have undermined your own credability in my opinion, possibly unwittingly by claiming that people who have a couple of drinks will kill people.

i see from your stats you are a doorman, so i imagine only pristine punters will be allowed in your club, i hate to think what the people who have had too many get treated like, i stick to my two pints. i trained for 5 years with tommy Mcmanus in martial arts, he was the top bouncer at the "night life" club where i live, i saw him some weeks ago and asked him how it was going, he said he had dropped the doorman bouncer's job as his brother from st helens who was also a doorman had been stabbed with a gimlet and nearly died, it was done by a group of seven stone weaklings, they were never caught.

i respect but do not agree with your conceptions on the current uk law on drink driving. i have enjoyed your banter. best wihes. herbiemercman.

Last edited:
OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi lordjellybelly, this is a brave nondeplume. if the uk's current law on drink was based on your experiament then the result would be obvious.

your example is qualatative, and in my opinion, misleading, in that some people could think it proves that if you have any alchohol at all you should not drive, this would take 50% of motorists off the road, but would be stupid.

i respect your conviction and the fact that you now think your experiment on a glass of whiskey contradicts the law.

good luck to you.

i certainly respect your conviction more than that of the minority of people who go over the limit with drink, and drive. best wishes, herbiemercman.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
wow, what a debate!
I would say lordjellybellys comment is along the lines of one i made earlier.
Have as little as a glass of wine and your reactions are slowed, there is no disputing this, he is just trying to get across to what degree.
When this is factored into reaction time and braking time when having to do an emergency stop it could make all the difference between avoiding a collision even if you are under the blood/alcohol limit.
Age will slow your reactions down even more.
A 21yr old who is slightly over the limit may react faster than a sober mature driver though!
I would drive a car after a drink or two(only if i know i will still be under the limit) but stay well clear of my bike as that needs much more co-ordination to control.
so i guess im admitting that a drink or two is noticable for me when it comes to controling a motor vehicle.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
If you want to support pubs I suggest that you stick to soft drinks, where the profit margin is substantially higher than on beer. You also are completely removed from the risk of alchohol in the old bloodstream.

Thats all very well but how do you get pi$$ed on soft drinks:rolleyes:.
only joking I agree with what you say, but fear the end is nigh for most country pubs.:(
Alfie B

C

C180 Chris

Herbie,
I think if anyone is nailed to masts around here its you, My opinion is exactly that and as far as i am aware i am entitled to have my say even if it does not agree with yours!
As for being clean, well i obviously try harder than some people and if i do have an accident at least i will know that it has nothing to do with drink slowing my reaction time down.
For me, your credability is shot as you see nothing wrong with driving drunk or whilst under the influence of drink.
I do not see what my job has to do with any of this at all, and everyone has been a doorman or know some famous doorman very well, and the point is......
You are by your own admission a seasoned drunk driver, and as such in my humble opinion should be banned along with all the others who get popped up and drive cars on our roads.
Bear this in mind, if you say you only have two pints, then all of this danger and risk that you put others at is really all over you wanting two pints!!
Can't you wait until you get home for them, do they mean that much to you that you need them??
As well as supporting your local pub, maybe support your local taxi driver too!
You will only ever win this argument in your own alcohol steeped mind.
I would have no problem in ringing the Police if i see someone getting into a car drunk!
i hope you enjoy your next drink, and don't worry if you mow someone down on the way home, i am sure they will understand that it was only two pints and that you were just too tight to pay for a taxi..if they are lucky enough to live that is!!!

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
Herbie,
I think if anyone is nailed to masts around here its you, My opinion is exactly that and as far as i am aware i am entitled to have my say even if it does not agree with yours!
As for being clean, well i obviously try harder than some people and if i do have an accident at least i will know that it has nothing to do with drink slowing my reaction time down.
For me, your credability is shot as you see nothing wrong with driving drunk or whilst under the influence of drink.
I do not see what my job has to do with any of this at all, and everyone has been a doorman or know some famous doorman very well, and the point is......
You are by your own admission a seasoned drunk driver, and as such in my humble opinion should be banned along with all the others who get popped up and drive cars on our roads.
Bear this in mind, if you say you only have two pints, then all of this danger and risk that you put others at is really all over you wanting two pints!!
Can't you wait until you get home for them, do they mean that much to you that you need them??
As well as supporting your local pub, maybe support your local taxi driver too!
You will only ever win this argument in your own alcohol steeped mind.
I would have no problem in ringing the Police if i see someone getting into a car drunk!
i hope you enjoy your next drink, and don't worry if you mow someone down on the way home, i am sure they will understand that it was only two pints and that you were just too tight to pay for a taxi..if they are lucky enough to live that is!!!

for the people that are not up to speed read this part again .

i hope you enjoy your next drink, and don't worry if you mow someone down on the way home, i am sure they will understand that it was only two pints and that you were just too tight to pay for a taxi..if they are lucky enough to live that is!

i think most are with you on this speaking from someone who had a family member killed by a drunk driver .

C

C180 Chris

for the people that are not up to speed read this part again .

i hope you enjoy your next drink, and don't worry if you mow someone down on the way home, i am sure they will understand that it was only two pints and that you were just too tight to pay for a taxi..if they are lucky enough to live that is!

i think most are with you on this speaking from someone who had a family member killed by a drunk driver .

I think that most people would agree with this too, lets face it it really does come down to this, We are only talking about a couple of pints here not having a skinful so what i fail to understand is why Herbie and other like minded people don't just do without these couple of pints if they have the car or blow the cobwebs off the wallet and spring for a taxi, its really not rocket science
I am lucky that up to now my family has not been touched by the devastation of losing a loved one due to drunk drivers, i can only imagine how horrific it would be to know that someone you love is no longer here all because some TW4T could not wait for a couple of pints!!

I have had a look through Herbie's previous threads, and it seems that other than his love of driving his car after drinking a couple of pints he seems to like writing controversial ones a bit more than most, maybe he should spend a little time re arranging this popular saying LIFE A GET
I love a good debate as much as the next man, but have little or no time for people who sit making up things that they think will get a reaction, i wonder what the next controversial thread will be, should blind people be given full UK driving license's or give them out to 10 year olds or how about letting airline pilots have a couple of pints too ( i am sure that if Herbie can guide his Merc around the much more crowded country lanes then a pilot could manage a 747 in the open enviroment of the sky, as there isn't much to hit up there!!)
How about train drivers? They dont even need to steer so they could get well popped up and still be ok!! Where does it end???????
Priests and little.....Best not go there! I think i could make this sort of thing up all day (just like some others that i could mention, but for the fact that i have a job to go to and a life to get on with)

Bottoms up!!

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi chris, you have sussed me out, and you will never know the difference between people who like a little drink, law abiding drink, and a drunk.

if you do not like controvercial issues then stop responding to them.

millions of motorists who like a couple of pints are not TW4TS, bit nauty this comment.

i do not have a alchohol steeped mind,as you roodly suggest, that's impossible on a couple of pints. i am a qualified engineer and have a very clear mind.

judging by the number of hits i get on my postings it looks like a lot of people find them interesting, i don't expect everyone to agree, but the banter is good.

best wishes. herbiemercman.

Last edited:
C

C180 Chris

hi chris, you have sussed me out, and you will never know the difference between people who like a little drink, law abiding drink, and a drunk.

if you do not like controvercial issues then stop responding to them.

millions of motorists who like a couple of pints are not TW4TS, bit nauty this comment.

i do not have a alchohol steeped mind,as you roodly suggest, that's impossible on a couple of pints. i am a qualified engineer and have a very clear mind.

judging by the number of hits i get on my postings it looks like a lot of people find them interesting, i don't expect everyone to agree, but the banter is good.

best wishes. herbiemercman.

Herbie,
1, If you take a drink then you are drunk (to what degree is the question)

2,I don't mind controversial issues and will respond as and when i see fit!

3,Millions of motorists do enjoy a drink then drive...bunch of drunken tw4t's in my opinion!

4, As it happens i was trained and qualified as an Electronics repair technician and also have a clear mind, one that does not think it's ok to drink and drive.

5, with the sort of subjects that you come up with i would be staggered if you didn't get loads of replies.

So then, would you be happy if the pilot of the 747 taking you on your hols had taken a couple of pints first, or the driver of the 8.52 to London Kings Cross had stopped off for a swift pint or two first ?????????

Alcohol does indeed have powerful effect on peoples minds, making them put others lives at risk and not caring about the possible outcome at all!

Wow! And all for a couple of pints?????????

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_drunk

hi chris, if you look at the url above you will see what the definition of being drunk is, it does differ from your definition.

we have all flown with pilots many times who have had drinks the night before a flight, may be the best pilots know their limits and are very skilled at what they do.

your onslaught must be unwittingly affecting me as today i went to my local and only had one pint, had to get back home then for the man u match.

let me know what you think about the url i have attached ?
herbiemercman.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
your onslaught must be unwittingly affecting me as today i went to my local and only had one pint, had to get back home then for the man u match.

It is probably worse than you think Herbie. The landlord, your best friend and several innocent bystanders are probably all concerned now by this sudden change in your behaviour - and the landlord is hoping that it is not contagious! :rolleyes:

C

C180 Chris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_drunk

hi chris, if you look at the url above you will see what the definition of being drunk is, it does differ from your definition.

we have all flown with pilots many times who have had drinks the night before a flight, may be the best pilots know their limits and are very skilled at what they do.

let me know what you think about the url i have attached ?
herbiemercman.

Herbie,
Wikipedia is not an authority on anything! Anyone can open an account and have their thoughts and opinions added and interpretted as fact.

Speak for yourself with regard to flying with drunk pilots, i don't know my pilots personally but trust in the no drinking before flying rules of the decent major airlines that i use that they will be sober.

I think it is more my opinion than an onslaught, i think it is safe to say that we will never agree on this subject, however i am pleased to hear that you only had one today even if it was to get home in time for a match.
Try making your one an orange next time:D

Lordjellybelly

Reaction score
Fact 1.:-alcohol reduces inhibitions
Fact 2.:-alcohol is a depressant and reduces reaction times to external stimuli
Fact 3.:- at 30MPH a vehicle travels at 44ft/sec.
Fact 4.:- from the above any driver of any vehicle at any speed at any time increases the chances of a misjudgment in his/her driving if alcohol has been consumed within that driver`s metabolic disposal of the substance
Fact 5.:- refusal to admit to the above is arrogance of the first order
Fact 6.:- acceptance of facts 1 - 4 and insistence on drinking and driving is gambling on his/her own safety and that of others

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom