Drink limit 20ml down from 80ml. Why. ?

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
lol point taken, but i treat those in the same respect that they treat me, if they wish to get right on my ass while travelling at 65 then it makes me feel like i am being pushed, i dont do that to others so i do not expect it done to me. therefore rather than break the speed limit further i show them a little respect.

you understand what brake check is? just touch the brake pedal with left foot enough to put brake lights on, doesn't slow the pace any but sure makes them think ;).

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Y'know Colt - some of the posts you write can only make one agree with the statements by Mic. No, we don't know you but you do portray yourself in your posts in a way that makes one wonder about you sometimes. :confused: Suggest you can only blame yourself if you create that impression.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
yes we can all judge, but does what you think make it right or simply to satisfy your own mind?

i dont really care what people think, i live my life you either like me or hate me ;)

maybe its because i own a 190 that makes me inferior to those of you who are successful in life that drive new cars? maybe your not keen on new comers busting in with a little humor and some good friendly help and advise? or maybe its because i drive a japanese super car mainly?

what ever your reasons to dislike somebody over a forum via forum threads/replies. maybe it would make it better to meet me in person at a get to gether and we can all share stories and banter in the flesh ;)

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
yes we can all judge, but does what you think make it right or simply to satisfy your own mind?

i dont really care what people think, i live my life you either like me or hate me ;)

maybe its because i own a 190 that makes me inferior to those of you who are successful in life that drive new cars? maybe your not keen on new comers busting in with a little humor and some good friendly help and advise? or maybe its because i drive a japanese super car mainly?

what ever your reasons to dislike somebody over a forum via forum threads/replies. maybe it would make it better to meet me in person at a get to gether and we can all share stories and banter in the flesh ;)

Oh that's unfair and says more about you than anyone else.

I have never seen nor experienced car snobbery on here...it just would not be tolerated.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh that's unfair and says more about you than anyone else.

I have never seen nor experienced car snobbery on here...it just would not be tolerated.

thats the thing see, i have been dubbed an imbecile by a member who is judging my book by its cover, but its unfair for me to speak the way its being portrayed through my eyes?

i don't believe i have said anything to upset or annoye anybody on this site, but i could indeed quote many threads where the chat or bickering was nothing more than childish.

i guess being honest on a forum isn't the thing to do any more? maybe i should retract all my posts in this thread and say, i drive at 20mph where ever i go i can squeeze 400 miles out of a tenners worth of fuel and i own a jet?

:lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
thats the thing see, i have been dubbed an imbecile by a member who is judging my book by its cover, but its unfair for me to speak the way its being portrayed through my eyes?

i don't believe i have said anything to upset or annoye anybody on this site, but i could indeed quote many threads where the chat or bickering was nothing more than childish.

i guess being honest on a forum isn't the thing to do any more? maybe i should retract all my posts in this thread and say, i drive at 20mph where ever i go i can squeeze 400 miles out of a tenners worth of fuel and i own a jet?

:lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes:

Something of an over reaction... Don't think anyone said you were an imbecile. On a forum one can only base one's opinion on the content of posts, as we don't have the opportunity to meet people in the flesh - I sure don't anyway. Didn't intend to be nasty. Sorry if I offended. Just wanted you to know that some of your posts may give an impression of yourself that you mightn't have wanted.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i aint upset mate, its forum stuff who really cares? its the GTG's that make it better ;)

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hey besides i am here for the cars not the people.....well not entirely the cars, they don't type back! i'm a petrol head have been for as long as i can remember, cars give grief so you throw a bit of money at them and they shut up for a while...bit like women. but i'm also very social good company of folk who them selves like cars. its why we are all here right?

also i can ask a question if i get stuck on something unfamiliar with the benz, and i will help where i can with other questions, its what i enjoy!

so remember don't drink and drive! you may spill it :D

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I would certainly concur that there is no car snobbery what so ever on this forum.
Would even say there is NO snobbery as the maclaren slr owner happily chats to the poor car less student ,and the gods of this forum are the Indies and mechanics and television who contribute a colasal amount of help saving many of us a lot of time and money.
Many like a good discussion and when something is posted that may not read as too clever it may be pointed out.
We all make mistakes sometimes writing things that we could have given more thought to but it is only discussions and as been pointed out, has no bearing on what a person may be like in reality..

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
if we were all rugby players we would all be friends in the showers after the game and no one scared to pick up the soap. we all work together in this club and i have saved much time and money from the help and information.

somtimes i do put up controversial postings, it's good to read the different views on a subject, we will always get situations where two people class on somthing, BUT, we get on with it and we all mean well. herbiemercman.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its safe to say its going to be mince pies and a tipple all round then? ;)

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Friendly Holiday Advice

Please, take care of yourself this Christmas. A recent joint study conducted by the Department of Health and the Department of Motor Vehicles indicates that 23% of traffic accidents are alcohol-related.

This means that the remaining 77% are caused by a$$holes who just drink coffee, carbonated drinks, juices, milk, water, and sh!t like that.

Therefore, beware of those who do not drink alcohol. They cause three times as many accidents.

This message is sent by someone who cares about your well being as a public service message.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Friendly Holiday Advice

Please, take care of yourself this Christmas. A recent joint study conducted by the Department of Health and the Department of Motor Vehicles indicates that 23% of traffic accidents are alcohol-related.

This means that the remaining 77% are caused by a$$holes who just drink coffee, carbonated drinks, juices, milk, water, and sh!t like that.

Therefore, beware of those who do not drink alcohol. They cause three times as many accidents.

This message is sent by someone who cares about your well being as a public service message.

yes they dont tell you the rest of the accidents are caused by sober drivers!

right i am off to the nearest tavern, have a skin full of its finest bitter and get behind the wheel of my fastest car! i am sure i would get home safe, ****** things built like a tank!

Manpie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'97 C200 Esprit
Sorry, but I think the limit should be 0mg. Any amount of alcohol will affect the way you drive, even if its barely noticeable but that fraction of a second your mind wanders is all it takes.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Sorry, but I think the limit should be 0mg. Any amount of alcohol will affect the way you drive, even if its barely noticeable but that fraction of a second your mind wanders is all it takes.

I may find agreement if,

persons over the age of 60 who may not be as alert as a younger driver were banned,

anyone after a full days work were stopped from driving in case tiredness affected concentration,

in fact anyone with other things they may think about should be prevented from driving,

then there are those with cars that aren't as well designed or maintained as well as others so may not perform as well in an emergency.

The list could likely be expanded.

Perhaps there should be recognition that a modest, social drink is not irresponsible, and the state should stop trying to design machines of us.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I may find agreement if,

persons over the age of 60 who may not be as alert as a younger driver were banned,

anyone after a full days work were stopped from driving in case tiredness affected concentration,

in fact anyone with other things they may think about should be prevented from driving,

then there are those with cars that aren't as well designed or maintained as well as others so may not perform as well in an emergency.

The list could likely be expanded.

Perhaps there should be recognition that a modest, social drink is not irresponsible, and the state should stop trying to design machines of us.

Steady on sonny......over how many years?

Mic

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
some older folk do drive up to and above the road speed limit and drive very well. infact i have seen many elderly drivers out drive the younger generation and i dont mean new to the road drivers i am talking drivers with atleast 10 years under their belt.

so i have to disagree with the 'above 60' statement.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Point missed,

If they control the drink limit, and then reduce it, and reduce it, till none (well low anyway), what's next.

Someone says "ah but elderley drivers over 75 have more accidents so set a limit", then 70m then 65 ....

If you get the angle I was coming from it's to highlite that creating more stringent controls on something because they can actually count the content doesn't actually mean they are doing a good thing.

Other areas of road use could do with attention but it is more difficult to address and won't get the same sympathy (votes). Meanwhile the Police state takes away more 'reasonable pleasures'. I do not condone irresponsible drink driving.

The age 60 was an axaggeration to 'try' and make a point, not a suggestion, as the other points aren't a suggestion either.
I'll be at that 'banned' age soon enough.

We all must acknowlwedge that a little alcohol does affect awareness and reactions,
But I'm not convinced that removing the opportunity to drive on a little (80 or even 50mg) would creat a much safer situation on our roads.

We walk to a choice of pubs, 'very' occasionally we may drive to a country pub, me on a pint 'maybe 2' will drive home, and then we walk to the local.
It isn't often I will be behind the wheel early next day, but with a very low 20mg limit I am guessing that after say 5 pints Saturday evening I would be over the limit all Sunday. These controls seem ott.

I don't see someone in the responsible drinking / driving catagory (my perception) should be branded criminal, go through life changing events, and be scorned by society, mainly because (my perception) it is more fashionable for this to be the case.

Using cars on roads comes with a risk, reduce the risks reasonably, but reasonably

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Point missed,

If they control the drink limit, and then reduce it, and reduce it, till none (well low anyway), what's next.

Someone says "ah but elderley drivers over 75 have more accidents so set a limit", then 70m then 65 ....

If you get the angle I was coming from it's to highlite that creating more stringent controls on something because they can actually count the content doesn't actually mean they are doing a good thing.

Other areas of road use could do with attention but it is more difficult to address and won't get the same sympathy (votes). Meanwhile the Police state takes away more 'reasonable pleasures'. I do not condone irresponsible drink driving.

The age 60 was an axaggeration to 'try' and make a point, not a suggestion, as the other points aren't a suggestion either.
I'll be at that 'banned' age soon enough.

We all must acknowlwedge that a little alcohol does affect awareness and reactions,
But I'm not convinced that removing the opportunity to drive on a little (80 or even 50mg) would creat a much safer situation on our roads.

We walk to a choice of pubs, 'very' occasionally we may drive to a country pub, me on a pint 'maybe 2' will drive home, and then we walk to the local.
It isn't often I will be behind the wheel early next day, but with a very low 20mg limit I am guessing that after say 5 pints Saturday evening I would be over the limit all Sunday. These controls seem ott.

I don't see someone in the responsible drinking / driving catagory (my perception) should be branded criminal, go through life changing events, and be scorned by society, mainly because (my perception) it is more fashionable for this to be the case.

Using cars on roads comes with a risk, reduce the risks reasonably, but reasonably

I had taken your point (with which I agree) but thought I would try to be amusing on behalf of all the sexagenarians (and Malcolm !!!***???) on this Forum and elsewhere.....I failed again.

Mic

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Whilst

I appreciate the points made by S80, that there are many other "preventable" road hazards, I agree with the core argument put by several people in this thread - the legal level of blood alcohol ought to be zero.

The fact that it is not kowtows to two confusables:

firstly, the "legal system" whereby legal experts such as Mr Loophole will pick procedural points of law and have their "clients" acquitted, although glaringly over whatever the limit was (policeman did not sign form, policeman did not use correct form of words, policeman did not wear hat). It is therefore very hard to achieve a prosecution, even if the accused was so intoxicated at the time that they could not cooperate with the police investigation.

Secondly, the somewhat spurious points about metabolism creating "alcohol". I think this hinges on marginal amount of alcohol being present in some foods (orange juice was mentioned). The principal problem, IIRC was that the detection devices used hitherto would give a positive reading if someone had put lots of vinegar on their chips (probably enough to render the chips inedible), or if a person (typically a diabetic) was metabolizing fat instead of sugar to produce energy (keto-metabolic acidosis) and the resultant ketone bodies (detectable in breath, blood and urine) produced a positive on the test.

Couple the second point to the first, and you have every opportunity for the legal profession to drive a coach and horses through the justice system (and be richly rewarded for so doing), whilst patently reckless individuals would be released to drink and drive another day!

I feel heart sorry for the police in their efforts to provide effective enforcement in such cases, and even sorrier for the bereaved.

Not so much a case of "twenty's plenty" (as in speed), more "at zero you're a hero" (as in alcohol!!).

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom