drivetrain

johnnythefox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 sl500
hi everyone, my '93 sl500 konked out today top of gravel hill south of croydon surrey just in front of the tram tracks. heck! i had to roll backwards to get away from the trams the size of small trains! ive been experiencing a lack of pulling power recently. i warm her up put her into drive and off we go. but , as my journey progresses every time i stop it wants to go but cant. and then it does. its like someone is tugging at your shirt as you want to run off. it doesnt jump. i checked the fluid level on the stick when its hot and it looks like theres plenty there. when i broke down today i struggled to get up the hill in question. the car restarted but as soon as i put it in drive she shut down! in the end i called the brake down man. by the time i got home i was able to reverse off his truck and drive the car into my slot outside my house. obviously it had cooled down enough for me to do this. ive also been smelling a burning oil as if something had been dripping onto my exhaust and when parked leaving a oil deposite on the road. can anyone help me with some advise. many thanks jw.

Last edited:

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Start easy.. you'll have a pair of distributer caps at that age and they are prone to wear. Take them off and inspect them, you can try cleaning them before replacing them.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Is the gearbox leaking oil, and if so, is there much left in the gearbox.

Check gearbox oil with engine running, and top up if empty.

Solved the problem until you get the leak fixed, possibly with new gasket.

Renew the filter in gearbox same time.

OP
J

johnnythefox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 sl500
thanks mate ile do just that and then get it to the garage so they can check it out.jw

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom