Driving to France from UK

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Indeed. I drove from Calais to Rennes, Right across France on back roads years ago. Was amazing and we didnt pay a cent. Well at least I never got a ticket.
We did similar to Chamonix and back (though we did use a few toll roads - most notably the Millau bridge).
It was a superb trip in the little Roadster.

Roadster_Millau_P1000090s.jpg

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I'll raise you 2600 miles in 19 days in the 968 cab a few years ago - started in Santander after a rubbish ferry ride, across the top of Spain to Santiago then back t'other side of the mountains, through the mountains to Lourdes, across to the Millau then north slowly to just south of Epernay. We had to take the motorway across the Millau (after visiting the visitor centre underneath it) but other than that it was all motorway free until just south of Calais. I think the longest days drive we did was 250 miles, fabulous holiday especially for left footed wife who got to cuddle St James and get mass at Lourdes (while I was having a beer or two!!).

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'll raise you 2600 miles in 19 days in the 968 cab a few years ago - started in Santander after a rubbish ferry ride, across the top of Spain to Santiago then back t'other side of the mountains, through the mountains to Lourdes, across to the Millau then north slowly to just south of Epernay. We had to take the motorway across the Millau (after visiting the visitor centre underneath it) but other than that it was all motorway free until just south of Calais. I think the longest days drive we did was 250 miles, fabulous holiday especially for left footed wife who got to cuddle St James and get mass at Lourdes (while I was having a beer or two!!).
Yeah ours wasn't quite that far at 1900 miles...
But you could probably fit the little smart in your boot!
At Chamonix we overheard someone say (when they saw the little Roadster) "I have never seen a car so small". Made us both chuckle.
This was our route (as best I can remember).
Screenshot_20220405-225829_copy_768x1121.png

It was a great trip. One of the highlights was driving through a torrential downpour so severe we couldn't see the road. It prompted MrsLK to comment it was like the opening scenes of The Rocky horror picture show. We decided that as it was 4pm we would try and find accommodation.
We found a small town and Google said there was a hotel. I parked outside the front door and MrsLK sprinted inside (got soaked anyway).
They had a room so I parked and ran to reception. The decor was 'interesting'. Sort of Andy Warhol meets gothic. The building was old and stone with exposed stonework and bright orange decoration. The receptionist showed us to our room by leading us back to the entrance to a large curved steel door set into the side wall. This led to a spiral stone staircase (which I'd already decided if she led us down I was doing a runner). Up to the first floor (fortunately and we were shown our room. MrsLK said quietly to me on the way up 'Brad' to which 8 replied 'Janet' which started a round of suppressed giggles. The entrance was intriguing comprising a door that let to a small space with two doors off it. One door was the bathroom, the other our bedroom. All had locks.
Depending on how much you paid you got the lock to either the outer door (en suite room) or the inner door (so the bathroom was shared).
Every item in the bathroom was a different colour. Teal blue toilet, mustard sink and green bath. The bedroom was equally interesting. Everything was lilac coloured including the electrical fittings. It was as though some had dropped a stick if dynamite in a big tin of paint.
Topped off with an orange carpet and teal bedspread the effect was.... unusual.
Still it was dry and cheap and clean so we opted to stay. After our host had left we both collapsed in fits of giggles. After composing ourselves we decided we'd go get something to eat. As we went back down the staircase we again started on the Brad/Janet theme and by the time we reached the restaurant (in the hotel) the giggles were back. In full force. There were 4 other couples in the restaurant and within minutes they were all giggling too but they had no idea what it was we found funny! That of course made us worse. In the end I had to leave and walk outside (fortunately it had stopped raining). When I went back in a few minutes later we ordered and I had one of the best steaks I've ever had.

These are the little gems you find when you go off piste.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I drive France Portugal and apart from getting caught out once have never used the toll roads a much more relaxing run a village bar break so much better than motorway place.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I did Bedford to Praia Da Luz in Portugal in the SL in 2014.
No toll roads, just normal. Got out of Spain as quick as poss and drove all the way down Portugal. Found some lovely off grid B&Bs too.
Incredible memories!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
No toll roads, just normal. Got out of Spain as quick as poss and drove all the way down Portugal. Found some lovely off grid B&Bs too.
Incredible memories!
Exactly. Used to go thru Spain at night arriv border at dawn if poss. Lovely early morning run Midlands to faro..

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Take the N-Routes next time, zero tolls, not much traffic and see some of France :)
Over the years some of the pleasure of travelling the RN roads has been removed by the supplanting of X road junctions with
infernal, interminable, tedious boring tyre scrubbing bleedin' roundabouts. But I have to concede it has made previously ubiquitous and confusing 'Priorite a Droite' junctions much safer.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
We have been touring Europe in the car for about the last 20 years, started off doing France on the N roads for about 5 years.
Then started on Germany & down to Bolzano in the South Triol, also did Prague. We also visit 2 German families in Southern Germany & a Dutch family, all met on my motorcycle trips.
Three years ago we went down as far as Split, via Luxembourg, Pforzheim, Bolzano, Triest, & Split. Came back Ljubljana, Saltzburg, Bad Toltz, Munich, Bad Mergentheim, Eindhoven, & home. Three weeks & just under 3,000 miles.

Peterbrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 CDI AMG Sport Shooting Brake 20136
Incredible memories!
I fly regularly to Faro then hire car to Praia Da Luz but am considering driving all the way this year, what route is best, how long and approximately how much?

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
An alternative worth considering is to take a Brittany Ferry to Spain

Something I have done many times. Sometimes we go by ferry one way & drive the other through France.

NJSS

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Peterbrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 CDI AMG Sport Shooting Brake 20136
I’ve looked into that in the past but I will be on my own and just car and driver worked out quite expensive

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve looked into that in the past but I will be on my own and just car and driver worked out quite expensive
It can be :( have to balance time / money / miles. I loaded 20:00 Sat evening and was 08:00 Monday morning in Spain rested and straight onto nice driving roads and up into the Pyrenees

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I fly regularly to Faro then hire car to Praia Da Luz but am considering driving all the way this year, what route is best, how long and approximately how much?
Bordeaux, ring Road head San Sebastian bilbao, salamanca, guarda. Or futher South in Spain to badajos into elvas(I think) then evora or other way around was a good while ago, think was 1600 mile off top of head and on down. Did it many times. Great run done non stop in 24hr to Faro from le havre.
Normally stayed night French border or drove thru night to port then stopped never much liked northern Spain and far too many trucks. If have time go further west in North Spain then head down lovely slower run in summer weather, can freeze in winter early spring near 1900 km if memory WORKIN? No tolls

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129

Chuck your start/finish in the Michelin website. It does nearly everything including toll/fuel cost. It's also worth buying the Emovis tag to save the hassle at toll booths unless you plan to go off piste the whole way

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I'm afraid it'd be crass to answer as the last time I went was 2015 and I expect a lot has changed in 7 years.
But, if I was going again I'd go Dover Calais, drive all the way through France on non-toll roads, into Spain and then quickly across to Portugal to take the scenic route.
Without a break it could probably be done in a very long day, especially staying on the Spanish roads, but I would prefer to take my time and stop at at least 3 B&Bs on the way and drive the scenic roads.
Obviously that would depend on your own schedule.
Booking.com is what I used last time and had no nasty shocks.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Another route that I enjoyed was the ferry to Santander then drive through Portugal as above.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom