E Class 350 Estate V6 Petrol

mika63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz
E Class 350 Estate V6 Petrol
there are a few threads on the 350 Diesel....
but has anyone got a 350 petrol ? and are they any good ?
the 3498cc V6 petrol sounds good to me with 306 bhp 0-60 in 6.7
Is the combined fuel consumption of 39.8mpg achievable ?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If 39.8 mpg were available from a V6 petol engine with 300+ BHP no one would be driving diesels...
But all in all a very good engine..

OP
M

mika63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
But they did also achieve over 40 on occasions - I'd be surprised if the diesel was much more than 5-10mpg better - and given diesel fuel is dearer, the difference in cost may not be as high as you think - see this post here by me....

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105403&page=5 near bottom on page 5 - A diesel will now take a very long time to get back it's initial cost.

OP
M

mika63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz
But they did also achieve over 40 on occasions - I'd be surprised if the diesel was much more than 5-10mpg better - and given diesel fuel is dearer, the difference in cost may not be as high as you think - see this post here by me....

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105403&page=5 near bottom on page 5 - A diesel will now take a very long time to get back it's initial cost.

I think if greater than 40 mpg is achievable together with an 80 litre tank
that would be refreshing doubt id see a petrol station for 3 weeks or so
presumably it runs on normal not super?

I'll never know what could be achieved with a diesel :)

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
decent thread thanks

journeys would be

a) short around town
what do you reckon 25mpg+ ?
b) long runs on the motorway 80 mph but loaded up
what do you reckon 35mpg+ ?

not massive mileage perhaps 8,000-10,000 per annum

but im impressed by your views re the drive/smoothness
i wasnt looking to compare to a diesel

Well, your mileage may vary, as they say. I'd wager that you'd get very close to that indeed but I'd strongly advise a nice long test drive to judge for yourself.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I certainly wouldnt buy it on the economy aspect cos you will end up a very disappointed buyer... I can get 60mpg from my X5 all day long but common sense and real fuel usage brings me back to reality..getting half of that computerised figure and im quite happy..

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
It seems to me that everyone gets a different mpg figure in the real world so comparing one car with another is rather pointless unless you actually use both. A good example is D215YQ's post on the other thread
1995 Rover 214i (medium family car) - 51mpg average over lifetime
2001 Toyota Yaris 1.0 VVTi (small family car) - 52mpg lifetime average (a lot of town journeys)
1996 W124 (big 7 seater estate) 2.2 - 35mpg average

I can't comment on the Yaris, but I had a 216 rover and I don't remember being particularly stunned at the fuel economy. As for the E220 W124 returning 35mpg average, I had a 3 year old C220, so same engine, smaller body to lug around. The BEST I ever achieved, on a Sunday night run between Leeds and Bristol at 75 on cruise was 33mpg so how you get not just a best-ever, but an average of 35 I have no idea. Certainly well beyond my abilities. I suspect my average was in the mid 20s.

When I bought the 270, my 240 was claiming 32 on my commute. I tried a 320cdi, it reported 36 and my 270 reported 40mpg. Not a great saving financially but better than the 320 and the 270 engine was still much better suited to motorway work, being able to accelerate effortlessly up the long steep inclines over the pennines without changing down.

But, going by the computer can be so misleading. I do 600 miles on an average week. 500 on the motorway between 60 and 90 and the rest around town. The motorway run normally produces an mpg figure of 48-50 on the computer and around town it's reporting 30+ yet if I do the maths, my average weekly fill-up is just short of 16 gallons which equates to 37.5mpg. So either the computer is optimistic on my motorway runs or my car is really awful around town when I'm not paying attention. Still not a bad figure in my opinion, given I don't drive particularly economically, but not great compared to the alleged 50 plus it's feted to achieve. I have done closer to 750+ on a tank on occasion which is mid to high 40's but thats pure motorway cruising are rarely achieved.
However, I suspect the petrol engines can't get near their quoted figures either so if I swapped to say a 350cgi, I'd be reporting a real world result in the mid to high 20s.

Also, given that a petrol engine revs higher than a diesel, I'd also expect that by the time I near 150,000, whilst my diesel is has no discernible difference to when it was new, a petrol engine will be showing some signs of internal wear. A bit of tapping from the cam , the odd black cloud under hard acceleration etc. I just wonder whether I'd be as confident with a high mileage petrol as I am with my diesel.

OP
M

mika63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz
having got one i can report that over 4400 miles average fuel consumption is 29mpg
a nominal low is around 24-25mpg worst case
and nominal best has been up to 39mpg
this is with mixed driving plenty of around town and high speed motorway
(not ultra low rev economy drives on the motorway to get the computer to show favorable figures)

ive had it loaded up also:)

thanks for the pre delivery/order comments most helpful

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

I didn't think the diesel had a higher initial cost here.

Still the op has the car they like so all ok with me

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
having got one i can report that over 4400 miles average fuel consumption is 29mpg
a nominal low is around 24-25mpg worst case
and nominal best has been up to 39mpg
this is with mixed driving plenty of around town and high speed motorway
(not ultra low rev economy drives on the motorway to get the computer to show favorable figures)

ive had it loaded up also:)

thanks for the pre delivery/order comments most helpful

amazing, thats about what i get from my E320 diesel!! I average around 33, but can easily see below 30's on local runs, and towing caravan........23mpg at 60mph!! Have to say, given the initial cost of purchase and then servicing costs, and spare parts, i think i'd be looking at a petrol next time. Seems the diesels have to be thrashed every now and angain, kinda does away with the economy cycle.
The petrol must surely be quieter and smoother, possibly not as much shove in the seat grunt as a a diesel on boost, but then it all depends on what you are buying it for. If you plan to keep it for a long time, residual values are not worth worrying about.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
amazing, thats about what i get from my E320 diesel!! I average around 33, but can easily see below 30's on local runs, and towing caravan........23mpg at 60mph!! Have to say, given the initial cost of purchase and then servicing costs, and spare parts, i think i'd be looking at a petrol next time. Seems the diesels have to be thrashed every now and angain, kinda does away with the economy cycle.
The petrol must surely be quieter and smoother, possibly not as much shove in the seat grunt as a a diesel on boost, but then it all depends on what you are buying it for. If you plan to keep it for a long time, residual values are not worth worrying about.

I had a V6 saloon and averaged 38mpg in it. Long runs would be high 40s and a return trip from Weybridge to Glasgow was done on 1/2 tank. In other words you could drive from London to Glasgow and back on 1 tank.

Around town 20odd mpg was the norm and to get 33mpg I'd really have to drive it aggressively.

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
I had a V6 saloon and averaged 38mpg in it. Long runs would be high 40s and a return trip from Weybridge to Glasgow was done on 1/2 tank. In other words you could drive from London to Glasgow and back on 1 tank.

Around town 20odd mpg was the norm and to get 33mpg I'd really have to drive it aggressively.

have learnt the the E diesel is great on runs for fuel, but get it in the stop starts or A roads with a bit of traffic and that MPG drops big time! If i run to the shops about 15 miles round trip and do max of 60mph (i live on clear roads and dual carriageways) i will see a max of 30mpg, and thats doing it nicely!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
have learnt the the E diesel is great on runs for fuel, but get it in the stop starts or A roads with a bit of traffic and that MPG drops big time! If i run to the shops about 15 miles round trip and do max of 60mph (i live on clear roads and dual carriageways) i will see a max of 30mpg, and thats doing it nicely!

And estates iirc use more fuel...

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140

I think ST4 must be right about the estate being heavier on fuel as I have never seen over 40 mpg even on motorway trips and have averaged 33.8 over the last 15k miles of mixed driving.

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
yeah, they are heavier......but still better looking lol :)

OP
M

mika63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz
theres probably not many 3.5 v6 petrol (estates) E classes about and the modern (ish) E class diesel is the (imo) benchmark merc
id be happy to keep a running report on stuff which can be viewed back to back with diesel info if thats of use to folk
Im a dinosaur so i will never swap to diesel but i think the comparisons are fascinating technical or otherwise

i think in terms of rarity there might only have been a small handful of these registered in 2012 - difficulty to see "from how many left" as its a little too specific for the data

Top Bottom