E220 Gearbox Problem

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
Hi guys and thanks for having the great forum I am hoping I can get some help with a problem that has been plaguing my 1995 E220. The lock that prevents the shift lever from being moved when the key is not in the ignition is not releasing. It leaves the care stuck in park. This has happened on a number of occasions and is normally solved with just a rev of the engine or 2....at worst it took about 10 minutes of stick shaking and revving to accomplish, followed by some WD 40 sprayed copiously inside the rubber boot area of the stick shift seal.You can even hear the click of the (detente?) as it disengages ,last night however it just would not move despite almost 2 hours of trying. I am wondering if anybody has a drawing of the mechanism, or any advice on how to access and repair it. Even disengaging the entire mechanism is an option. I have to solve this guys. HELP!!! thanks for any replys and assistance.

OP
H

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
Thanks mate, I will check out the VIN, drawing does look similar except for the shift pattern. Will let you know. Thanks again, a great help.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I thought the lock was both the ignition and the brake. Not sure whether they are 2 independant locks or one integrated one though. I can't remember the details but when my ignition barrel siezed, the mechanic had to release a cable so he could get it into N to roll it onto the flatbed.
Whatever the case, I'd be shaking bouncing the brake pedal, not revviung the engine which I doubt has any real effect (unless its a solenoid and your battery is low - but I didn't think it was).

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom