1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E220 smoke problem. help!

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ds99, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ds99

ds99 Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 cdi
    This has probbably been asked many times before, so forgive me, but can someone offer some advice?

I have a E220 cdi (year 2000 model). It smokes badly under hard accelleration. I just had the MOT done and the guy said he had to rev it five times before it passed the emissions test

I have changed the oil, changed the air filter. Car starts and runs well, mpg is good. Smoke is black (not blue). It has done 130,000 miles.

Any ideas?

2. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    Its is likely your EGR valve is stuck open slightly. High mileage CDI's often have this issue. My 320cdi had the same problem.

Have a search on the forum for EGR shunt. It could also be bad spray pattern from the injectors or your air filter is blocked.

3. OP
    ds99

ds99 Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 cdi
    OK, thanks - i would like to do this EGR mod. Can anyone offer any advice? Or even better, can someone made up the mod for me and I will pay them?

Thanks

Dave

4. WG M-B

WG M-B Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C63 Wagon in black
    Before the mod is put in place it's best to clean the egr out properly and make sure it stays shut! Otherwise you will still get black smoke

5. OP
    ds99

ds99 Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 cdi
    Err, forgive my ignorance but where exactly is the EGR?

6. OP
    ds99

ds99 Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 cdi
    an update if anyone is interested...

i found the EGR valve thingy and disconnected the air hose going into it, it had a LOT of black tar-like sticky stuff in there, i cleaned it out the best i could, i could not get the EGR valve off as there were a number of bolts i just could not get to. so i just squirted a load of WD40 in there and used rags/tootbrush/screwdriver wrapped in rags to clean out most of the gunk. i took the car for a drive afterwards and it defintely smokes less on accelleration (i.e. i can see the car behind in the mirror now!)

feeding exhaust fumes back into the engine doesnt seem like a very wise idea, but i guess engine designers know better than me!