E220 smoke problem. help!

ds99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi
This has probbably been asked many times before, so forgive me, but can someone offer some advice?

I have a E220 cdi (year 2000 model). It smokes badly under hard accelleration. I just had the MOT done and the guy said he had to rev it five times before it passed the emissions test

I have changed the oil, changed the air filter. Car starts and runs well, mpg is good. Smoke is black (not blue). It has done 130,000 miles.

Any ideas?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Its is likely your EGR valve is stuck open slightly. High mileage CDI's often have this issue. My 320cdi had the same problem.

Have a search on the forum for EGR shunt. It could also be bad spray pattern from the injectors or your air filter is blocked.

OP
D

ds99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi
OK, thanks - i would like to do this EGR mod. Can anyone offer any advice? Or even better, can someone made up the mod for me and I will pay them?

Thanks

Dave

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Before the mod is put in place it's best to clean the egr out properly and make sure it stays shut! Otherwise you will still get black smoke

OP
D

ds99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi
Err, forgive my ignorance but where exactly is the EGR?

OP
D

ds99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 cdi
an update if anyone is interested...

i found the EGR valve thingy and disconnected the air hose going into it, it had a LOT of black tar-like sticky stuff in there, i cleaned it out the best i could, i could not get the EGR valve off as there were a number of bolts i just could not get to. so i just squirted a load of WD40 in there and used rags/tootbrush/screwdriver wrapped in rags to clean out most of the gunk. i took the car for a drive afterwards and it defintely smokes less on accelleration (i.e. i can see the car behind in the mirror now!)

feeding exhaust fumes back into the engine doesnt seem like a very wise idea, but i guess engine designers know better than me!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom