E250 Petrol questions

B

BlueGriff

I have a current model loan E250 Petrol from the dealer. Did a 200 mile run yesterday and was astonished at how much fuel it used, mostly motorway, no particularly in a hurry and it showed 30.1 Mpg, the since reset figure is 26 Is that normal ? Seems an astonishingly poor figure for a modern car that doesn’t go particularly well.

There is no manual in the car so I can’t look this up, just out of interest what is the coffee cup symbol on the display for and when the green ECO symbol turns yellow what does that signify ?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Coffee cup is Attention Assist

"ATTENTION ASSIST helps you during long, monotonous journeys such as on motorways and trunk roads. It is active in the 80 km/h to 180 km/h range.

If ATTENTION ASSIST detects typical indicators of fatigue or increasing lapses in concentration on the part of the driver, it suggests taking a break.

ATTENTION ASSIST assesses your level of fatigue or lapses in concentration by taking the following criteria into account:
your personal driving style, e.g. steering characteristics
journey-related parameters, e.g. time of day, length of journey"

ECO ..

"Indicator lamp lights up. If all conditions for automatic engine switch-off more are fulfilled, the symbol is shown in green in the multifunction display.
If not all conditions for automatic engine switch-off more are fulfilled, the symbol is shown in yellow in the multifunction display. If this is the case, the ECO start/stop function is not available."

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
May be worth checking tyre pressures, my s500 can do 30mpg plus on the motorway with ease.

richardN2O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG Kompressor
something must be up, even I can get 30mpg from my supercharged 5.5ltr V8 (but it does get boring after a few minutes) :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That sound normal to me

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
Auto I assume - if so I wouldn't expect much more.

You can't take anything from the reset figure as there have been too many different drivers.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Sounds like someone may have been in diesels for too long and forgotten how to drive a petrol? :p

Seriously though, the 250 coupe I was lent was showing 38mpg when I went from Norwich to Cambridge and back in it, and that was not thinking about economy at all, in fact I was late on the way there and didn't hang around. I remember thinking that my 350cdi would be showing that figure at best, so was quite impressed.

I didn't find it that sluggish either, its has a turbo, so from low down never felt lacking really, and once you got to 3500rpm it really started to shine.

Not sure if it was the coupe or the fact it was a petrol but it felt much lighter and more agile up front than my E350cdi estate.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Sounds like someone may have been in diesels for too long and forgotten how to drive a petrol? :p

Seriously though, the 250 coupe I was lent was showing 38mpg when I went from Norwich to Cambridge and back in it, and that was not thinking about economy at all, in fact I was late on the way there and didn't hang around. I remember thinking that my 350cdi would be showing that figure at best, so was quite impressed.

I didn't find it that sluggish either, its has a turbo, so from low down never felt lacking really, and once you got to 3500rpm it really started to shine.

Not sure if it was the coupe or the fact it was a petrol but it felt much lighter and more agile up front than my E350cdi estate.

How you drive a petrol. You shove it into D and it changes gear. Push the fast pedal harder and further down to go faster just like in a diesel car. Kickdown to go very fast.

An E350cdi is a big big car, a C250 petrol is smaller and lighter and 2 clyinders down and 1200cc down. Its not a fair comparison.

A C250 does have forced induction and a decent rev range where torque is available low down and right through, I imagine its a jolly thing to drive but a 212 again is bigger, with a bigger engine. If the C class wasn't significantly better, I would be worried they've not built it right

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
How you drive a petrol. You shove it into D and it changes gear. Push the fast pedal harder and further down to go faster just like in a diesel car. Kickdown to go very fast.

But you still need to drive it differently, with the petrol A6 I had which was tiptronic, it stayed very calm and relaxed, you could argue it was lacking, if you just drove round like you can with a diesel, you had to force it to stay in the power band, above 4000rpm.
Stick it in sport and it would keep there, but you could get it to stay there in N too.

An E350cdi is a big big car, a C250 petrol is smaller and lighter and 2 clyinders down and 1200cc down. Its not a fair comparison.

A C250 does have forced induction and a decent rev range where torque is available low down and right through, I imagine its a jolly thing to drive but a 212 again is bigger, with a bigger engine. If the C class wasn't significantly better, I would be worried they've not built it right

Sorry, thought I mentioned that it was the E250 coupe.
I was surprised at just how much better balanced the small 4cyl felt over the 350cdi. I was expecting it to feel lighter on its feet, but was gobsmacked by just how much.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
If I want to go fast in my diesel I keep her above 2700rpm. I know diesels only rev to 4500 and a petrol say 6000k so approx 4k rpm in a petrol would make the same power as 2700rpm in a diesel.

Gotcha

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Love to see where you get that idea from??

A 250CGi at 4000rpm is making WAY more power than a 250CDi at 2700rpm - look at Mercedes own figures

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
Can't help you with petrol figures, but 250 diesel in a new CLS was giving me 50+ mpg overall, including a lot of town driving. I would say your own figures look low.

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
You have to drive diesels and petrols differently to achieve their best, trying to compare similar sized engines over driving styles is pointless.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom