E270 Cdi. No EML, no boost. Tried a few things and.....

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 S211 E270 CDi Elegance
Had the old girl 10 years now, I got load of help on this forum getting a few things sorted out when I first had it. But I'll be honest, it's done the last 80k with only having the basics taken care of. I'd really appreciate a bit of help now.

Accelerating the other day there was a bang from the exhaust and instant loss of power, kangarooing at low revs. The car sat on the drive for a few weeks and I was close to getting rid of it but thought I'd give the RAC a shout first and take it from there.

Some good advice later and I've cleaned the EGR in and out and I'm sure that's working properly, but still no boost, had look at turbo inlet seal and it doesn't look too bad, turbo spindle also nice and tight .

Then I noticed the pipe below hanging out and with a clip missing I think. No idea what it is or what it does or if it could be the cause of my problems.

I need some help identifying the connection in the pic if anyone can help please, and is it worth finding the clip and resealing? I hope this solves my problems but on the other hand I'd like to get a good old thread going.....

Thanks

Attachments

• Pipe under turbo OM647.jpg
    Pipe under turbo OM647.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to add I've got fault 2346 'egr control - the air mass is too large' so I'm hoping the pipe hanging off is my issue.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
If the air mass is too large it points towards a blockage and the engine cant breathe properly. I would say the top KAT has broken up and its restricting the exhaust. Its probably the reason its blown that pipe off.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
At a guess as pics not clear, it’s either the turbo outlet plastic connection that connects the o/s turbo intercooler pipe to turbo or a boost pipe connection to intercooler. Both Common failures and need replacing to contain boost pressure.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Something upsteam of that hose has caused it to blow out.
Font pfaff about sealing it, get a replacement hose and clips from merc.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Yes, buy replacement pipe and fit it - but sort the basic reason first. As Steve above - why did it blow off? A blockage creating excess pressure is probably the reason. No point in just replacing the pipe without first finding the cause.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Something upsteam of that hose has caused it to blow out.
Font pfaff about sealing it, get a replacement hose and clips from merc.
dont, sorry typo on iphone

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The plastic fitting or intercooler gets brittle and sometimes fractures when under boost. Just replace fitting or intercooler which ever is broken. Rarely an overboost fault, just old age.

OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This really is a great forum, thanks for all the advice and a bit humour.

My first suspicion was a collapsed cat, honestly! The way it drives (or doesn't) just feels like there's some restriction.

I'll inspect the intercooler hose sorted and see if I can confirm if it's blown off or just old age.

Next have a look at the exhaust, I don't want to fit new parts for them to break again obviously. The car is running so I should be able to tell if there's a restriction. Is there a way of checking the cat without major disassembly?

I can't find any on the net but I'm guessing the cat and manifold ain't going to be cheap.

OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Took the intercooler hose out, no surprise it's not stopping in there!

I still suspect a blockage somewhere else, I took outlet hose off to inspect it and there's oil running out where it connects to the intake box.

Trial and error though I suppose?
20210315_175303.jpg

Top Bottom