E55 AMG W211 2004

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 W211, W213 C220 CDi, W211 E500 LPG, W204 250CDi
Seller also forgot to mention this Engine issue, SBC has run time error (was told it was brake wear sensor!!), blocked exhaust............

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Alex,

Your spot on, cylinder #2 piston rig land has disappeared around ~1/3 of the piston, no sign of the bits. Looks like its been gone a while.

Not much carbon build up if any around valves.

I have also done a leak test with petrol, cylinder #2 appears to loose the fuel to the exhaust valve seat, inlet seats appear to be ok. Cylinder #3 is also leaking around the valve seats, cylinder #3 had a good compression reading at ~140psi. Overall I think the valve seats are in reasonable condition. I will plan to have all the valves re-seated while its stripped down.

I have decided to pull the other head off, might as well give it a good inspection and clean.

Will need to see if I have any abnormal wear on crack shaft and cylinder #2 main bearings, i'm hoping the crankshaft bearing are ok, will soon find out.

Should I plan to change out all the pistons? do you have any other recommendations of work that I should have done while I have the engine striped down?

Thank you for your support!

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Seller also forgot to mention this Engine issue, SBC has run time error (was told it was brake wear sensor!!), blocked exhaust............

To be fair the seller may have not have known (if they literally bought it the day before), there again, as far as neglected cars go, this one seemed to be right up there, and that was just from the pics and the ad description. Guess you already knew that before you took the project on.

You obviously know your way around the oily bits, so hopefully you will get it sorted with not too much headache and dare I say cost!

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Morning,

True, its a project car and to be honest a good opportunity to work on a beast, this was pretty much the plan from the go!

I am now trying to understand what has caused the compression ring land to fail on cylinder #2, the timing looks off to me looking at the position of the coloured link, my understanding is that the link should be on the bank of teeth with the embossed "L". I would welcome some feed back on this.

Thank you

Attachments

• L cam tining.JPG
    L cam tining.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 23

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The link won’t stay in the same place. It comes up right on something like every sixty fourth turn. Don’t worry about that. If it was that much out the valves would be wrecked.
Piston failure most often has its root in performance tuning. If you are at that point I’d be pulling all of them out and inspecting carefully. If one has gone others are likely not far behind

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok.

The valves seem clean with no noticeable build-up of soot, the super charger pully set-up looks stock - what kind of upgrades could have been done that are not readily visible?

I could be well off the mark, but I cant see any obvious signs that this engine has had a hard life.

It looks like to me that the land failed some time ago on cylinder #2, this resulted in fuel being dumped in the exhaust over time building up the exhaust gas restriction which then failed the manifold weld over time? Could this be the case?

What do I need to look for to find signs of performance mods?

Thank you

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Ok.

The valves seem clean with no noticeable build-up of soot, the super charger pully set-up looks stock - what kind of upgrades could have been done that are not readily visible?

I could be well off the mark, but I cant see any obvious signs that this engine has had a hard life.

It looks like to me that the land failed some time ago on cylinder #2, this resulted in fuel being dumped in the exhaust over time building up the exhaust gas restriction which then failed the manifold weld over time? Could this be the case?

What do I need to look for to find signs of performance mods?

Thank you
It may have just been mapped in the past, but if it was a poor map then could have caused things to fail

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The intercooler water pump also looks stock, how can I get the MAP checked against stock?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The intercooler water pump also looks stock, how can I get the MAP checked against stock?

Send us the ECU, we can tell you if its stock or not.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
........I am now trying to understand what has caused the compression ring land to fail on cylinder #2,
Thank you I am following this with interest, having done some on my Ponton 1959 diesel,
Please educate me as to what a ring land is.

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Send us the ECU, we can tell you if its stock or not.
Hi Alex could you please inform me on how to remove the ecu so that I can send it to you

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
From the original ad, I think there is a strong chance it is mapped....

500bhp possibly mapped

Starts on button

1 key

Service History

Hpi clear

Wheels worth £1000

Front Carbon splitter

Modified exhaust not sure what it is sounds animal

Mot 5 months

Has upgraded supercharger pump

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
From the original ad, I think there is a strong chance it is mapped....

500bhp possibly mapped

Starts on button

1 key

Service History

Hpi clear

Wheels worth £1000

Front Carbon splitter

Modified exhaust not sure what it is sounds animal

Mot 5 months

Has upgraded supercharger pump
The 113k was around 500bhp standard though but as it’s got the other bits added I’d be pretty sure it’s mapped in the past.
I wonder if @Acid@MSL might have every seen it before?

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't pay to much attention to the ad.

Need to get the MAP verified, just waiting on Alex for instruction so I can remove the ECU and send it to him.

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Need to source piston/s and ring/s set, what's the recommendations for sourcing and cost?

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I wouldn't pay to much attention to the ad.

Need to get the MAP verified, just waiting on Alex for instruction so I can remove the ECU and send it to him.

Open the fuse box lid on the driver's side under bonnet and pull the ECU out, pretty much that easy

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you, got it out. Will organise getting the MAP read to see what changes have been made.

OP
A

ama singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update:

Engine is out of car, all pistons have been inspected and its only piston #2 which has severely damaged/missing compression ring land, the underside of the piston also has cracked all over it - looks like we caught this just In time before it went completely.

Exhaust valve on cylinder #2 bent, valve seats all look ok.

Cylinder looks good, no signs of any damage or scoring.

Con rod bearing has not spun, bearing surfaces all look good with no scratch marks or abnormal wear. Crank shaft bearing surfaces are also very smooth and again no signs of any abnormal scratching or wear.

Oil pump was clean, no debris, sealant or bits of plastic in sump or around oil pump. Oil pump condition looks very good.

Its interesting that all the damage is isolated to piston #2 and the exhaust valve on cylinder#2 - is this a normal?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Valve is probably bent because of contact with a bit of piston. I would be sending out the injectors for testing and cleaning - bad injector could cause weak mixture and piston damage.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom