Electric Tailgate not extending fully

Seano

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C220d AMG Line Estate
Hi all,

I’m new here and so apologise if this has been covered elsewhere. I did try and find something on this but there wasn’t anything (that I found) that specifically helped with my problem. Of course, that doesn’t mean this hasn’t been covered elsewhere so if it has, a point in the right direction would be gratefully received.

On to the problem then...

My tailgate is of the electric variety. I have always had it so that it extends to the full limit of the struts. I know that you can change it to a lower height that suits you or your circumstances better but being relatively tall I prefer to have it extend fully. This stopped working a few weeks ago and I am at a loss as to why. I have tried to reset the height to the default which didn’t work and I have tried setting it to a lower height (which it did) and then reset it again from there (which it did also) but it still doesn’t extend fully.

Any ideas? Do they need gassing or anything?

Cheers,
Seano

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Make sure it’s well lubricated. The hinges suffer from a lack of lube and jam up.

OP
S

Seano

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C220d AMG Line Estate
Hello and welcome

Make sure it’s well lubricated. The hinges suffer from a lack of lube and jam up.
That’s great! Thanks for the speedy response and advice. I shall do this tomorrow, but dark now. Just for clarity, and we talking grease or WD40?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That’s great! Thanks for the speedy response and advice. I shall do this tomorrow, but dark now. Just for clarity, and we talking grease or WD40?
Not WD40 as that’s a water displacer not a good lube. Grease can be a bit thick to get into the mechanism.

There’s been a few threads on here about it and normal oil is what was used worked in over a period of time.

The issue was clunking from worn mechanism.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I find fully synthetic engine oil best the problem is getting the oil into the tight hinge pins it takes a few copious applications and patience. It’s one of those situations where a good old fashioned grease nipple that the current crop of engineers seem to have forgotten about would do the job perfectly. The issue is that the hinge tolerance has to be tight so very difficult to get oil in there. Don’t forget to oil the ball joint on the hatch end of the drive shaft that’s open to the elements as well.

In pre-electric days the tailgate hinges were set back well into the roof but adding a drive motor has pushed the hinges forward into the shut void so they are now open to the elements - MB could have done better on this one IMO

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I find fully synthetic engine oil best the problem is getting the oil into the tight hinge pins it takes a few copious applications and patience. It’s one of those situations where a good old fashioned grease nipple that the current crop of engineers seem to have forgotten about would do the job perfectly. The issue is that the hinge tolerance has to be tight so very difficult to get oil in there. Don’t forget to oil the ball joint on the hatch end of the drive shaft that’s open to the elements as well.

In pre-electric days the tailgate hinges were set back well into the roof but adding a drive motor has pushed the hinges forward into the shut void so they are now open to the elements - MB could have done better on this one IMO
Not just MB, Honda suffer from failed electric tailgates as well.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom