Engine Diagnosis Light

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
The yellow Engine Diagnosis light has appeared on my dashboard and is constantly lit.
All cars have this warning light and it is more commonly referred to as the check engine light. and basically it can mean nothing or everything.
My car is only 11 days old and covered 200 miles. By coincidence it spent a day with my dealer yesterday in which it was driven 64 miles.....something I am very unhappy about but that's another story that I will tell in time.
I am not planning to use my car in the short term for anything other than very short local journeys.
I will be in contact with my dealer today and will mention this, but I am wondering about peoples opinion on why this light should be on. Everything else is apparently as it should be.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There are dozens of reasons why the CEL can be on. You need to put it on a code reader to find why.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
The yellow Engine Diagnosis light has appeared on my dashboard and is constantly lit.
All cars have this warning light and it is more commonly referred to as the check engine light. and basically it can mean nothing or everything.
My car is only 11 days old and covered 200 miles. By coincidence it spent a day with my dealer yesterday in which it was driven 64 miles.....something I am very unhappy about but that's another story that I will tell in time.
I am not planning to use my car in the short term for anything other than very short local journeys.
I will be in contact with my dealer today and will mention this, but I am wondering about peoples opinion on why this light should be on. Everything else is apparently as it should be.

Only a code reader will tell you

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I mentioned the yellow light to my dealer when speaking to them on the phone a little while ago, and predictably they advised not driving the car and to phone Mercedes assistance who they said would come out and check it then if serious recover to dealer.
I then phoned Mercedes assistance and told them the story, to which they were sympathetic but said they would not come out to a yellow engine light unless there was also a loss of power. They were not happy that my dealer had advised me like this and said they would be contacting them for clarification.
Just for the record my dealer is 25 miles away and I was there yesterday, so really would rather not make another journey over purely for this......not when my car will be getting booked in for another unrelated issue as soon as a spot is available.
In the meantime I am on holiday at the moment and will only be using my car for the odd very short local journey....and my car is driving otherwise absolutely perfectly.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just be aware that if you have check engine lit your car won't do a regen and you may end up with a blocked DPF.

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just be aware that if you have check engine lit your car won't do a regen and you may end up with a blocked DPF.
There is something very wrong if my car has a "DPF" :shock:
Taken purely by what the letters stand for.....but I know what you mean. ;)

Mercedes assistance said its possible(and even likely) that the light will go out on its own if the car is driving ok.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200

Mercedes assistance said its possible(and even likely) that the light will go out on its own if the car is driving ok.

Yes the light can go out on it's own. I have intermittent light on for a few days then off for....... whatever time. It seems that the light on yours is on for some reason and MB should be being more concerned. What happens if it is something serious and you keep driving and cause more damage, who will be responsible? My car is 2005 and I think that on mine it is the MAF, but on a new car I would be concerned.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400

The lights do go out but doesn't always mean the problem has gone.

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The lights do go out but doesn't always mean the problem has gone.
Yes but.......in that case it would be nothing of concern.
No lighty = stored fault code which is no longer causing a problem.
Unless of course you can elaborate on your comment.....? :)

Last edited:

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Yes but.......in that case it would be nothing of concern.
No lighty = stored fault code which is no longer causing a problem.
Unless of course you can elaborate on your comment.....? :)
I had a inlet manifold issue a few years back. Engine light came on and would go off every 5th time the car was started. No light but problem still existed. :cool:

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
11 days old and 200 miles - I would be saying to the dealer fix it or I am rejecting the car - end of. You are within your rights for them to recover the car unless they are prepared to put in writing that they will accept any responsibility for damage if you drive the car to them. Make sure you document everything - times/dates - as this will be your evidence if it gets into a fight.

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Concern over for now.....the light is out. :)
When i started my car today it was still on, but after a short drive I noticed it had gone out and has stayed out through 5 ignition cycles.

Top Bottom