Engine Management Light on

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
My 2007 E 320 CDI (W211) struggled to start this morning. I turned the ignition on for what seemed the normal time and then tried to start it, although it eventually timed out without starting. On the second attempt it started although the engine management light came on and a message on the dash saying something like "ESP Problem etc".

After a 30 mile driver I arranged for the AA to plug in their diagnostic machine and it reported two faults - firstly "glow plug control circuit open" and secondly "crankshaft position sensor".

The AA cleared the faults and when I tried to start the engine everything is fine and no fault codes are appearing. The engine has been warm ever since is started this morning.

I'm expecting it not to start correctly tomorrow. All 6 glow plugs were changed about 20 months ago (after one failed).

On balance I suspect the problem lies with the glow plug control system. Does this seem logical? Is there anything I can do to validate this, such as checking the system control unit etc? Does it need to go to a workshop with Star Diagnostics or is it something I can sort out myself?

Hopefully you can help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The CPS normally fails when hot,,, but no reason why it not should fail when very cold, this will or can turn the lamp on.

OP
JCP

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Thanks for this - is it something I can either take out and check say using a multi meter to confirm the failure, where is it located and how much does a new one cost?

Once the new one is fitted, does it need "setting up" via Star Diagnostics?

I'm an ex truck mechanic and happy to rectify as much as I can myself.

OP
JCP

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
The CPS normally fails when hot,,, but no reason why it not should fail when very cold, this will or can turn the lamp on.
hanks for this - is it something I can either take out and check say using a multi meter to confirm the failure, where is it located and how much does a new one cost?

Once the new one is fitted, does it need "setting up" via Star Diagnostics?

I'm an ex truck mechanic and happy to rectify as much as I can myself.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It sits on the bell housing over the starter motor with a 2 or 3 pin connector on top. It counts the teeth on the starter ring

When good they measure between 800Ω and 1kΩ

OP
JCP

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
That sounds straightforward - how does the crankshaft sensor failure affect the cold starting capability? It felt as though the glow plugs were not heating, probably not getting any power to them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That sounds straightforward - how does the crankshaft sensor failure affect the cold starting capability? It felt as though the glow plugs were not heating, probably not getting any power to them.

It does not really other than if the battery was low as the glow plugs pull high current, it could have been a low voltage glitch showing up the CPS, one just never really knows- The CPS sets up the injection system for firing, no CPS and no injection. It may never do it again, one just never knows

OP
JCP

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Television, many thanks for your help and background info on this. I'll see what happens tomorrow and if its the same again, I'll take it to the local MB indie and get it sorted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Television, many thanks for your help and background info on this. I'll see what happens tomorrow and if its the same again, I'll take it to the local MB indie and get it sorted.

An indie is far cheaper ;)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom