Engine Oil Sludge on a brand new 2018 c220d! HELP

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
im leasing with mercedes itself. so im assuming the payment will be a big sum. even though i only have a year left on my lease agreement.
The lease early termination charges will likely be 50% of the last years payments at year 3, but then you've still an engine to pay for which certainly won't be covered on fair wear and tear. BVRLA Returning your leased vehicle

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
im leasing with mercedes itself. so im assuming the payment will be a big sum. even though i only have a year left on my lease agreement.
In that case, can you take the sump off.
Clean the sump. Clean the oil pickup gauze. Change the oil filter. Put some flushing oil in the engine. Then turn the engine over without starting it. Turn it over by hand. If the engine turns over, then turn it over a lot of times. Start it to run for 2 minutes.
Drain the flushing oil. Then put in engine oil.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think your only course of action (personally):-
1) Get a Mercedes Independent to inspect/check the engine- is it toast?, if not
2) Get above done and certified, if not
3) Price for engine replacement
4) Contact leasing company with options (if you can afford to do any of above), if not
5) Contact leasing company and come clean upfront and in especial regarding affordability to have the work done
I do feel for you, very silly mistake and I know you don't seek sympathy , we've all done stupid things I'm sure and lived to tell the tale.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I believe the first thing the OP needs to do is read and fully understand the details of the lease agreement and pick through every clause in fine detail then come up with a plan, I cannot see an MB lease agreement will allow for any 3rd party repairs to one of their vehicles, the last thing one would want to do is throw money at something that will not meet the specific requirements of the owner?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A bit off subject but is no one else surprised that 7k over service blocks a filter (as it clearly didn't catch said gunge) to allow said gunge to pass and to screw the engine?

We know a filter will lift when blocked, but at 7k miles over.

This assumes that specified oil was used at 1st service with replacement filter, of recognised quality.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
You beat me to it M80. Not that far over service interval that you would expect the engine to spectacularly fail.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A bit off subject but is no one else surprised that 7k over service blocks a filter (as it clearly didn't catch said gunge) to allow said gunge to pass and to screw the engine?

This assumes that specified oil was used at 1st service with replacement filter, of recognised quality.
You beat me to it M80. Not that far over service interval that you would expect the engine to spectacularly fail.
Assuming all supplied information is correct...

Reactions: M80

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

We know very little going forward about the OM654 Diesel engine which I assume it is, what we do know is that there will be higher tolerances and so more likely to suffer drastic consequences of being neglected, at 24k mile oil changes I don’t think the OM651/OM642 would have failed in such a way driven normally.

Until the engine is opened up this is all speculation of course

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
We know very little going forward about the OM654 Diesel engine which I assume it is, what we do know is that there will be higher tolerances and so more likely to suffer drastic consequences of being neglected, at 24k mile oil changes I don’t think the OM651/OM642 would have failed in such a way driven normally.

Until the engine is opened up this is all speculation of course

Me too, I know nowt about the 654. It maybe that oil routes are very limited so as to increase pressure, the old Ford o/h cam trick. We might expect MB (or is it Renault) to just put a more capable oil pump in instead though.

But where would the 'gunge' come from to block the filter?
We don't expect modern engines to be producing swarf, losing seal material etc.
With quality oil I wouldn't expect a sludging to occur, just lose some lubrication properties (that might well account for some added material to the oil, to be caught by the filter) but happy to learn from those with more expertise.

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Why did you not service the vehicle when it was required?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I’m going to take a guess here but it could be that the sludge is in the pan, the filter has completely clogged and now no oil has got to the galleries, this put extra pressure in the cam sprockets and chain resulting in them wearing and then jumping, hey presto you now need a new engine due to sludge

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I think the OP would have to pay the full cost of the car.
MB have it logged that 1) it needs a new engine 2) you missed the scheduled services.
Thus the non conformance to the TandC led this problem.
Furthermore MB leased card may well end up on the MB forecourt as approved used. MB will likely say they cant resell this now.

The garage holds ALL the aces here i am afraid.

Read the T and C very carefully and get a solicitor handy if you are not comfortable reading the lease agreement. Spending a couple of grand on a solicitor could be the difference between a new engine, having to pay for entire car so on and provide some direction.

OP if you are handy. whip off the oil filter and check the condition and look at the dipstick.

post up the pics

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
To have 1 oil and filter change in 45k miles and to go 7000 miles over your service interval indicator is quite frankly neglect of your vehicles maintenance and totally preposterous that (a) you think there is some recourse with MB and (b) you want to wilfully write off your vehicle.

The service interval is 15k miles or 1 year which ever comes first. So to have the first service in 2019 at 24k says you first went 9k miles over your service interval! Utter madness.

The advice here is to live and learn with this...

Live with the consequences of your neglect and learn that your vehicle needs regular servicing.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I hesitate to post this, as I do agree it’s total neglect of your vehicle.

HOWEVER

In recent years lease companies have changed their wording.

Years ago most leases were either “maintenance” or “non maintenance”

In the last few years this has changed to “Maintenance included” or “Customer maintained” because several customers successfully claimed their contract stated the vehicle was leased “Non maintained” I.e. no maintenance was required and they paid the £50 fine for each missed service.

I would check what your wording is - but I do agree it’s serious neglect and even if it says non maintained we know that means the lease co isn’t paying the maintenance. Actually when a car is on lease ALWAYS have the maintenance option, I defy anyone (unless you own a service workshop) that could do it cheaper than the £30 or so a month it adds to the lease.

I also think an engine that packs up just 7k over it’s interval is shocking - but perhaps the incorrect oil was used 1st service?

We had a customer literally screaming and threatening all sorts in our place once as his 3 year old car needed a new engine - He had never used us for servicing and it was only when we drained it to find that whatever fluid was in there was pretty clearly NOT engine oil that he started to calm a little..... I think his rage merely turned from us to whoever had “serviced” the car! I’ve had people claim they can get a full major service for £100 and we are “way too dear” - unsurprisingly these are often the same people we see 2 years or so later with major mechanical failures.

DONT SKIMP ON OIL OR FILTERS OR FLUIDS - EVER. they are way cheaper than engines and gearboxes.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300

I agree with you on this one an extra 7K miles should not cause this. He has a high annual mileage so very few cold stop start journeys. When I had my 2003 CLK270CDI there was no annual service then, & I am sure my oil changes then were about 16 to 17K miles.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
im not asking for sympathy, yes i know its my fault.

Im just asking for what the next step is. Do i get a new engine or find a indy garage that could clean up my engine. do i buy a 2nd hand engine and if i do so by giving it back to mercedes (as i leased with them) will that be a problem? or do i fork out a new engine
In my opinion, I'd get it to a good indy, let him strip it down and see exactly how much damage is done, and if its fixable, what it would cost. After that, you wil have dfinite baseline to work from, and get all your ducks in a row as to what is the best course of action to take. The majority of drivers out there, don't have a clue about whats happening under the bonnet, and that's fine, they shold not have to...they pay a lot of money for the right to have a trouble free motoring experience. But even so, everyone must be aware that servicing is part and parcel of the deal. Its a hard lesson to learn for you though, and I hope that you will get sorted out without having to re-mortage the house.

W245207

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W245 B180 CDi 2005
We moan and groan, but the yearly MOT keeps us on our toes. However, with a new car there's no pressure for 3 years.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I hesitate to post this, as I do agree it’s total neglect of your vehicle.

HOWEVER

In recent years lease companies have changed their wording.

Years ago most leases were either “maintenance” or “non maintenance”

In the last few years this has changed to “Maintenance included” or “Customer maintained” because several customers successfully claimed their contract stated the vehicle was leased “Non maintained” I.e. no maintenance was required and they paid the £50 fine for each missed service.

I would check what your wording is - but I do agree it’s serious neglect and even if it says non maintained we know that means the lease co isn’t paying the maintenance. Actually when a car is on lease ALWAYS have the maintenance option, I defy anyone (unless you own a service workshop) that could do it cheaper than the £30 or so a month it adds to the lease.

I also think an engine that packs up just 7k over it’s interval is shocking - but perhaps the incorrect oil was used 1st service?

We had a customer literally screaming and threatening all sorts in our place once as his 3 year old car needed a new engine - He had never used us for servicing and it was only when we drained it to find that whatever fluid was in there was pretty clearly NOT engine oil that he started to calm a little..... I think his rage merely turned from us to whoever had “serviced” the car! I’ve had people claim they can get a full major service for £100 and we are “way too dear” - unsurprisingly these are often the same people we see 2 years or so later with major mechanical failures.

DONT SKIMP ON OIL OR FILTERS OR FLUIDS - EVER. they are way cheaper than engines and gearboxes.
Agreed, but the lease I'm doubtless, will say that the customer accepts the vehicle MUST be maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines or schedules. Ehen our Volvo was picked up by BCA after 3 year lease the guy picking it up said that MB were by FAR the most stringent in pursuing additional damage costs....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom