Engine oil

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C Class w204 C280 sports a
Stevegbr You have opened up a can of worms . Each owner will think that the oil he uses is the best . I know what oil that i use,, and will never change the brand .Its served me well for over 20 years,, not only in my W124 but ather cars i have owned . But if your unsure i would visit a good oil brand web site and put your reg number in the box ,,and the it will recomend the right type of oil to use in your car . Or you could visit Mercedes to be 100% sure.
Very true lol. In the old days it was Castrol gtx for everything. Now it's more complicated because of finding the info. Thank god for this forum.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Anything 229.5 will be fine for a petrol car. I personally prefer a 10w oil to a 0w or 5w oil.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I use mobil 1 as it has MB spec 229.52 and also VW 507 which is one of the highest specs you can get. Not 1 other oil that has this. If you find, please let me know

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Used shell helix for the last three years. So I think I will stay with that. Oil is very confusing.

Oil is simple , it's oil threads that are confusing !

Straight off the bat someone is recommending a 229.51 for a 3.0 petrol .
Incorrect but a step up .

The two suggestions above ( Fuchs and Gulf ) for a dual 229.52 and VW 504.00 507.00 are incorrect as they are not .

Brand is unimportant as the manufacturer oil spec is made to a set industry standard of ingredients .

Ever heard of counterfeit branded engine oil? No one is going to fake being Tetrosyl and sell supermarket own to Asda and Tesco etc .

A 10W is more likely to be a lesser semi synthetic and has slower cold flow which is crucial as that is where most wear occurs .
Not only down to lesser viscosity but further aided by the better flow , protection etc of smaller more uniform oil molecules of real synthetics PAO & Esters.

Time and technology moves forward and there are those who feel comfortable only with what is in a 32 year old handbook .

What do you think is going to happen when a higher quality oil is put in ?

hero_nuclear_blast.jpg

Oil is simple.... I promise you .

Screenshot_20210430-052837_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-040526_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-040306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210107-154548_Chrome.jpg

20200721_174852.jpg

It does make for one complete oil , the best of both worlds .

Screenshot_20210127-132305_Chrome.jpg

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Oil is simple , it's oil threads that are confusing !

Straight off the bat someone is recommending a 229.51 for a 3.0 petrol .
Incorrect but a step up .

The two suggestions above ( Fuchs and Gulf ) for a dual 229.52 and VW 504.00 507.00 are incorrect as they are not .

Brand is unimportant as the manufacturer oil spec is made to a set industry standard of ingredients .

Ever heard of counterfeit branded engine oil? No one is going to fake being Tetrosyl and sell supermarket own to Asda and Tesco etc .

A 10W is more likely to be a lesser semi synthetic and has slower cold flow which is crucial as that is where most wear occurs .
Not only down to lesser viscosity but further aided by the better flow , protection etc of smaller more uniform oil molecules of real synthetics PAO & Esters.

Time and technology moves forward and there are those who feel comfortable only with what is in a 32 year old handbook .

What do you think is going to happen when a higher quality oil is put in ?

View attachment 67739

Oil is simple.... I promise you .

View attachment 67740

View attachment 67741

View attachment 67742

View attachment 67743

View attachment 67744

It does make for one complete oil , the best of both worlds .

View attachment 67746

Yeah, as clear as mud! Which is what people use to make themselves look clever - which they're not. Just state the obvious, and make contradicting statements ending up saying a lot but helping none. (A bit like a politician that has to stand up to speak for fear of his voice being muffled.... ;) ).

I personally didn't recommend any particular Oil. I just said what I used.
Firstly I listed Mercedes own Website concerning Oils for a particular Model Mercedes. Namely the OP's.
Secondly someone asked to post if there was another VW507.00 other than the one they quoted - of which I obliged.....

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Is there any truth that the supermarkets branded oils are made from filtered used oil?
If they meet the spec I don't see it being an issue TBH but it would be good to know.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
It's an engine feel free to choose an oil quality higher than that of the manufacturers .

Understanding the VW 50400/50700 Approval​

Jul 23, 2020​

Topics: Passenger Cars

Not all engine lubricants are the same. Selecting an approved lubricant can protect one of the most valuable assets many of us often take for granted.
It can sometimes be tempting to take passenger vehicles for granted, expecting them to provide years of trouble-free service throughout their lifetime. Regular servicing and maintenance is imperative, as is the need to use high-performing lubricants in line with the requirements of the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).
Engine lubricants are designed to keep the internal components of the engine clean, lubricated and cool, as well as ensure the moving parts are protected from wear and damage by minimizing metal-on-metal contact. They also play a vital part in delivering increased fuel economy and reduced emissions.
As a result, the need to use the correct engine lubricant to satisfy the individual demands of the vehicle has never been more important.
The ACEA Oil Sequences prescribe the minimum quality level of service-fill oils demanded by the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) members for use in their vehicles. ACEA 2016 is the current engine oil sequence required to ensure the engine lubricants used in service-fill satisfy the demands of increasingly advanced engine hardware and aftertreatment systems.
OEMs understand the vital role the lubricant plays, often going way beyond the ACEA baseline when publishing their own service-fill engine lubricant specifications. This provides the end user with the added assurance of using a higher-performing engine lubricant which has been designed specifically to work in harmony with their vehicle’s engine and aftertreatment system.
One of the most established and highly regarded OEM approvals is the VW 50400/50700 lubricant standard, published by the Volkswagen (VW) Group. Here we look in detail at some of the challenges and severe testing that modern engine oils must withstand, in order for oil marketers to gain this demanding approval.
VW has an excellent understanding of the benefits of appropriate lubrication, and its lubricant approval program is amongst the most demanding and severe test schedules in the automotive industry. The process of gaining VW 50400/50700 certification begins with ACEA C3 approval, including 1,397 hours of testing on eight engines. Lubricants must demonstrate a minimum high temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity of 3.5 cP and reduced levels of Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulfur (SAPS) for aftertreatment compatibility, plus durability, cleanliness and soot handling requirements.
Following ACEA testing, the oil advances to PV tests—a sequence of assessments ranging from fuel economy performance to corrosion protection. Encompassing 1,402 hours within eight VW specific tests, the PV testing regime includes the severe Radio Nucleonic Test (RNT).
Once this level of proof of performance has been provided, VW can then acknowledge that a lubricant is worth testing in their formal ‘Baumusterprufung’ approval test program. The Baumusterprufung program is the oil’s final trial, specifically designed to evaluate the lubricant’s performance against specific VW engine characteristics. This includes at least 16 engine tests with lubricants put through a minimum of 10,000 hours vigorous testing, ensuring that any passed lubricant can deliver effective performance and component protection. The latest revisions to the VW 50400/50700 specification include more stringent engine tests, compatibility with biofuel, as well as low temperature pumpability for the ACEA C3 baseline requirements.

Our View​

The complexity of achieving the VW 50400/50700 specification demonstrates the importance the Volkswagen Group continues to place on this highly-demanding and globally recognized specification. A genuine VW 50400/50700 approved lubricant ensures the highest level of engine performance and component protection.
For the end user, this confirms an approved VW 50400/50700 lubricant has been designed to perform efficiently throughout its lifetime; protecting one of the most valuable assets many of us often take for granted.

Hense alot of people put in Fuchs Pro S , Gulf Competition , Red Line , Millers Nanodrive CFS+ , Motul 300V etc , all Ester marketed racing oil ( 10-20% group 5 ) to rag their car around a track .

But of late I call into question exactly how good they really are as a mechanical engineer tested alot of oil film strengths .

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom