1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

erratic engine speed and pinking

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by mark mercedes, May 30, 2009.

1. mark mercedes

mark mercedes New Member

my e230 est 1997 is pinking under load, engine top rattle heard. also engine speed hunts wildly at start up, between 0 - 1000 rpm indicated, but settles down after a few minutes. local garage found ecu readings all at zero. recommended replace ecu but unsure it would be the final solution. can you advise? although very supportive at the local garage the mechanics think this could be the beginning of a costly if not terminal journey; loathed to let the old beast go, so would like some help!!!

yours mark

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Hello and welcome,,sounds like a vacuum pipe off on the inlet somewhere, this will cause it to hunt and weaken the mixture to make it pink

3. OP
    mark mercedes

mark mercedes New Member

Hi Malcom, Looks like its time to lift the bonnet lid!!! thanks for your reply, i'll look later as time allows.

mark

4. OP
    mark mercedes

mark mercedes New Member

hi Malcom, thanks for your time, tried private message twice but does seem to work for me [ bit like the car??!!]
    the pipe looks ok physically and blown down toward engine seems clear... re-run of engine produced improved but not perfect idle, so we wait to see what tomorrow brings...could be the engine is still warm...

still, found the source of the rattle, with the aid of my trusty screwdriver stethoscope...assuming the water pump is front and centre of the engine block, what is the unit top right front of the engine next in line and carrying top hose to radiator?!!

not been under a bonnet since early 70's keeping my mini on the road..so layout a looks a little different under there...

yours mark

sorry if this message is a repeat of other attemps to contact you...

5. premmington

premmington Active Senior Members

When looking at vacuum pipes trying to find leaks, always examine the ends for perishing, if any apparant, just cut them 1/2" shorter.

http://www.remmington.plus.com

6. OP
    mark mercedes

mark mercedes New Member

hi premington, thank for your reply.
    i will take a closer look later. have left car overnight to see if engine temp a factor. its been years since i last carried out my own car repairs, havent really needed to luckily, so any advice gratefully received.

yours

mark