European breakdown insurance

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
After being Covid restricted for three years, we're off on a break in France next month. I mentioned this to the insurance Broker I use, and they offered what they told me was their recommended breakdown cover, AXA Assistance. My C300 is still fairly new and hasn't covered many miles, but it has suffered one puncture in a rear tyre, fortunately in the tread, so repairable. Another puncture is my only real fear on a lengthy European trip, probably at least a couple of thousand miles. I read the small print in the information from AXA that the Broker gave me, and on the second page, it told me that punctures were only covered if the vehicle carried a spare wheel and tyre, or presumably two of them in the case of my C300, as front and rear are different sizes. Like probably every other recent Mercedes owner, all I've been provided with is a pump and the can of "repair gunk", which from experience, I'd only ever try as very much a last resort. I doubt if the boot is large enough for two full size wheel assemblies. I'm no stranger to mainland European touring, all my recent cars have done more than half of their mileage there, and touch wood, none ever suffered a puncture. Tyre problems generally are by far the most probable emergency, and it appears to be an eventuality that it's almost impossible to insure against, I wonder how many drivers are aware that the breakdown cover that they fondly imagine covers them for most eventualities will be unable to help them if they are unlucky enough to have a puncture, something that's increasingly likely on the UK's steadily deteriorating road network, and roads elsewhere in Europe aren't significantly better in my fairly extensive experience.

What have others on here done in the past, is there a practicable answer to this very real problem?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
After being Covid restricted for three years, we're off on a break in France next month. I mentioned this to the insurance Broker I use, and they offered what they told me was their recommended breakdown cover, AXA Assistance. My C300 is still fairly new and hasn't covered many miles, but it has suffered one puncture in a rear tyre, fortunately in the tread, so repairable. Another puncture is my only real fear on a lengthy European trip, probably at least a couple of thousand miles. I read the small print in the information from AXA that the Broker gave me, and on the second page, it told me that punctures were only covered if the vehicle carried a spare wheel and tyre, or presumably two of them in the case of my C300, as front and rear are different sizes. Like probably every other recent Mercedes owner, all I've been provided with is a pump and the can of "repair gunk", which from experience, I'd only ever try as very much a last resort. I doubt if the boot is large enough for two full size wheel assemblies. I'm no stranger to mainland European touring, all my recent cars have done more than half of their mileage there, and touch wood, none ever suffered a puncture. Tyre problems generally are by far the most probable emergency, and it appears to be an eventuality that it's almost impossible to insure against, I wonder how many drivers are aware that the breakdown cover that they fondly imagine covers them for most eventualities will be unable to help them if they are unlucky enough to have a puncture, something that's increasingly likely on the UK's steadily deteriorating road network, and roads elsewhere in Europe aren't significantly better in my fairly extensive experience.

What have others on here done in the past, is there a practicable answer to this very real problem?
I’ve got Nationwide Euro cover with an account . I think you are overthinking the whole puncture scenario, they are normally quite rare .
Absolute worst case you can put the punctured wheel in a taxi and go to the nearest garage ? Assuming it’s not repairable at the roadside . Maybe this is a once in 5 decade scenario ?

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I’ve got Nationwide Euro cover with an account . I think you are overthinking the whole puncture scenario, they are normally quite rare .
Absolute worst case you can put the punctured wheel in a taxi and go to the nearest garage ? Assuming it’s not repairable at the roadside . Maybe this is a once in 5 decade scenario ?
I`ve been going to Andalucia and back 68 times in last 17 years and had a puncture just once. AA fitted my spare and I drove all the way to Limoge before I could get it repaired.I too have Nationwide cover.

OP
Rob7seven

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I`ve been going to Andalucia and back 68 times in last 17 years and had a puncture just once. AA fitted my spare and I drove all the way to Limoge before I could get it repaired.I too have Nationwide cover.

I agree up to a point, the puncture I had last year was my first in a very long time, and never one on the wrong side of the Channel despite doing well over half my total mileage there, but are you sure that your Nationwide cover would sort you out if you had one? AXA Assistance is the most widely sold policy my insurance guy tells me, and that only covers you if you carry a full size spare, their policy wording appears to rule out even spacesavers, I wonder how many with the AXA cover know about that exclusion? My wife banks with Nationwide, but does your travel cover come with a basic account which is probably what most people have? Until a couple of years ago I had a Lloyds Gold account which included full world travel cover, but I'm pretty sure that car breakdown cover was UK only. In any event that's all Lloyds offer today, and it's no longer a no extra cost inclusion.

Yes, I probably am worrying unecessarily, but we can never rule out Sod's Law can we?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Out of interest how much is nationwide cover. 1 car 1 driver?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
That's OK. Direct debit I assume and 1 month notice I in UK less than three weeks every 12/16 weeks. And wud prefer just a month cover even if slightly dearer than ur monthly as advised.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I agree up to a point, the puncture I had last year was my first in a very long time, and never one on the wrong side of the Channel despite doing well over half my total mileage there, but are you sure that your Nationwide cover would sort you out if you had one? AXA Assistance is the most widely sold policy my insurance guy tells me, and that only covers you if you carry a full size spare, their policy wording appears to rule out even spacesavers, I wonder how many with the AXA cover know about that exclusion? My wife banks with Nationwide, but does your travel cover come with a basic account which is probably what most people have? Until a couple of years ago I had a Lloyds Gold account which included full world travel cover, but I'm pretty sure that car breakdown cover was UK only. In any event that's all Lloyds offer today, and it's no longer a no extra cost inclusion.

Yes, I probably am worrying unecessarily, but we can never rule out Sod's Law can we?
I always carry a full sized spare in the Merc.
I have a temporary spare in the Lexus.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That's OK. Direct debit I assume and 1 month notice I in UK less than three weeks every 12/16 weeks. And wud prefer just a month cover even if slightly dearer than ur monthly as advised.
No idea , it was opened years ago for the benefits only

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
If your 2020 car is still under warranty or you have a full MB service history, then you’re covered by Mobilo throughout Europe. AFAIK, Mobilio covers you for spare tyre problems.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had a colleague with a newish (still under warranty) 5 series touring. He had a puncture in France, his car had run flats… the puncture was a hole in the sidewall… this of course rendered the run flat useless.
No tyres available when he called BM assist, he ended up flying home and his car came back a week later…

I use either AA or RAC and book cover to get me home for the period I’m abroad. Not always the cheapest but I’d like to know I’ll get all the way home and onward travel and all that jazz.
Touch wood I’ve never required any assistance despite numerous sojourns on the continent

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If your 2020 car is still under warranty or you have a full MB service history, then you’re covered by Mobilo throughout Europe. AFAIK, Mobilio covers you for spare tyre problems.
I was thinking the same. Many customers dont realise what mobilo is and the extensive coverage it provides. l have my cars serviced (nothing beyond a servive and rest is for my indy at MB only just for the Mobilio as I often drive to and fro Germany.

A well maintained merc will rarely fail at the road, I have never had an issue. As for punctures (touches wood now) I have had 2 in 10 years and normally they are so slow that its not a hinderance.
I guess the biggest worry would be a blow out - not often if ever.

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Presumably front and rear wheels are interchangeable, not withstanding the difference in tyre size or spec.
Why not just get one spare wheel with any roadworthy tyre, and should the worst happen this could be
used just to get you to the nearest tyre repair shop. Just as the skinny spare 50 mph max. set up is expected to do in some cars.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a colleague with a newish (still under warranty) 5 series touring. He had a puncture in France, his car had run flats… the puncture was a hole in the sidewall… this of course rendered the run flat useless.
No tyres available when he called BM assist, he needed up flying home and his car came back a week later…

I use either AA or RAC and book cover to get me home for the period I’m abroad. Not always the cheapest but I’d like to know I’ll get all the way home and onward travel and all that jazz.
Touch wood I’ve never required any assistance despite numerous sojourns on the continent
I am trying to get a moths cover for next leave, but everywhere I look want dd and a Month notice I just want to buy a month, I only need 2 weeks. And when it runs out that's it. Also Reading some small print. Default is auto renew. I just escaped that on car cover with rbs

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have had a full driving licence for 56 years, lived in Germany for 12 years with numerous runs back to the UK. I have never called out a breakdown service or failed to get the car home. Only had one new car & I am not a very good mechanic. As others have said its a rare occurrence.
I have Mobillo as MB service the cars, plus Nationwide Bank breakdown as I have my travel insurance with them.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very wise. Long ago u never worried about this on car u owned up to 10 Yr old and tech then such that a few spanners tights wire and u were good to go. Now it's code reader, laptop and or recovery vehicle 1 time I n my life and its modern electronics car turned my motor into brick and I was an hr before 1500 quid France UK recovery for sake of a f wheel speed sensor. That's it 4 me no more modern cars and old spanners saved the day a real gent AND thru this forum. I will contact him again before next trip to see if I can drop anything off 4 him.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But until recent and modern cars I wud never have considered recovery as I have never previously not been able to resolve a non accident roadside drama. Modern electronic cars are just an expensive drama waiting to happen and that's no accident... simples change ur car every 2,3 Yr maybe not. But wot a kick in the bollocks, financially that is..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Done numerous trips all round France - first three in the Smart Roadster which hasn't space for a spare wheel. On the last trip in the smart got a slow leak in a rear as we passed Oxford. Patched it with a tubeless tyre repair kit (the type with rubber strips you force into the hole). Supposedly a temporary repair but still did another 5k miles.
Done several trips since - typically 3 or 4 per year @2000 miles per trip for last 6 years with no issue. 'New' R class doesn't have a spare - just a can of goop and compressor.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Having a spare is piece of mind.
My W220 spare is unused - 18 years as is my w251 -12 years.
Having a compressor at least is essential.

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Done numerous trips all round France - first three in the Smart Roadster which hasn't space for a spare wheel. On the last trip in the smart got a slow leak in a rear as we passed Oxford. Patched it with a tubeless tyre repair kit (the type with rubber strips you force into the hole). Supposedly a temporary repair but still did another 5k miles.
Done several trips since - typically 3 or 4 per year @2000 miles per trip for last 6 years with no issue. 'New' R class doesn't have a spare - just a can of goop and compressor.

For the small cost involved c.£2? its definitely worthwhile carrying a so called Tyre Puncture Strings/Worms kit. There may well be the opportunity to fix an obvious puncture in a safe layby or before a plod on the French Autoroute spots you, tells you non non ze expensive recovery service only.
I carry strings and a high quality USA made device or thingy that externally inserts a small non adhesive mushroom plug, mainly for m/bike puncture possibilities.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom