Faulty key fob - DIY

Royville

Reaction score
Hello again,
I didn’t think I'd be posting so soon here, I only joined a few days ago saying how thrilled I was with my c180 elegance.
However! - On Wednesday I went to get in my car to go to work as usual only to find that it wouldn’t unlock. I suspected the batteries in the key fob so I took them out, tested, cleaned and re-fitted them. All was fine so I went to work. When I got out of the car to lock it, nothing happened again. Anyway to cut a long story short I had to call the RAC and he ended up fitting a link between a couple of wires on one of the electronic units under the passenger foot well to enable me to start the engine to get home. He told me to take it to a main agent ASAP as I shouldn't run it like that for too long. I was 99% sure my key fob was duff so I contacted MB and to my horror they said a replacement was £130 + vat, would take about 10 days to come from Germany and the it would have to be programmed to my car.
I decided to try and open up the key fob myself to see if I could do anything with it. I had read on the forum somewhere that trying to open them usually resulted in their destruction but after much slicing with a sharp modeling knife and prizing with jewelers screwdrivers I got it open. When I found the little button spring which flirted out I also noticed that a tiny push button had become detached from its 4 soldered pads on the little PCB. I thought this must be the problem!
I carefully re-soldered it back into place and re-soldered the +ve battery tag as its joint looked in poor condition. Everything else looked ok so I painstakingly re-assembled it and fitted the batteries. When I pressed the button, after about a second the red light came on briefly, - which I had never seen before. I went out to the car and disconnected the link that had been fitted by the RAC chap and to arm/disarm the immobilizer but to no avail. Then I remembered that I needed to go through a synchronizing sequence which I did, and that did the trick, - Everything works fine now as it should and I’ve saved myself about £150 or more.
I thought I'd post this message incase anyone else has had a similar problem to this, hoping it may be of some use.
I'm going to check out a local 'Indy' tomorrow in the Staffs area, if I have my car serviced there I'll let you know how it went on.
Regards
Roy.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Well done - it's always a relief when all the effort pays off!

Scrottocks

Reaction score
Congratulations Royville on the fix!

I've had simlar problems occasionally where the key fob appears to play up even with good batteries but eventually restarts to work. Luckily no total lockups - yet. So your solution might come in handy one day. :sad:

BTW what is the 'activation sequence' that one needs to follow? :D

Scrottocks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A friend asked me to look at her laguna remote that was intermitant until her husband tried to fix it.

the whole PCB was just one huge blob of solder of the plumbing type, but with a complete de solder, then a resolder and new tactile switch it did work again with a new battery that had been shorted out. (thank god)

Malcolm

OP
R

Royville

Reaction score
Scrottocks said:
BTW what is the 'activation sequence' that one needs to follow? :D
Scrottocks

Hi Scrottocks,
I followed the re-syncronization sequence in my owners manual, - I would imagine the sequence would vary depending on the model. Mine is a 1996 c180, I can give you that if you have the same, - let me know.
My key fob is still working fine.

Roy.

Top Bottom