1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting Fires

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by joderest, May 2, 2019.

1. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    What a month April was for me.
    Started when daughter number 1 crashed her little Aygo into a tree, no one hurt, except the car. New Bumper, New Wing, New Door Mirror plus other bits, Managed to paint items using an old Gazebo in the garden, but still cost me £80 for the paint, all parts fitted, looks ok.
    Then the rear brakes on the Mercedes started acting up, turned out to be a stuck Calliper Piston, so stripped and rebuilt both rear Callipers, new seals and other parts, new rear Disc's, bleed the whole system, All appears good now.
    Then realised the MOT of wife's Mini was about to expire, thought i had a bit more time, so checked it over, replaced both front tyres, and booked it in for yesterday.
    Then wife used Mercedes to tow horse to an event on Saturday last, the day we had the strong winds, when she came back to car a branch had been blown off a tree and gone through rear screen, so claimed on insurance, screen fitted Tuesday, had to order a new washer pipe as old one broke trying to get wiper arm off, put it all back together this morning. Started car, there was a really horrible noise, turned out from the heater blower, so stripped that out, it was full of leaves, cleaned and back in.
    The Mini sailed through its MOT. Now at work for a rest.
    I just wonder what the cost of labour would have been if i was not able to do all the above myself, you can understand sometimes why people let there servicing and maintenance slip, as the cost must be astronomical.
    Sometimes, having a misspent youth around cars comes in handy, however, there will come a time in the not to distant future when i will be too old or knackered to do what i do now.

2. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Motorway Queen; W251 R320L Familybenz, S211 E320 Avg Designo Edition now sadly missed.
    But in all of that, what was on fire? :D

Yugguy likes this.
  3. vtaylor78

vtaylor78 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Coupe W207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
    You’ve saved Shed loads, fair play to you and glad your daughter is ok.

4. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    So it wasn't just us had a bad April....

5. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    How did the rebuild of the rear calipers go buddy ? Did you just buy a kit and have a go

6. peterws1957

peterws1957 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
    You could easily see Insurers getting a bill for £1K plus for the accident damage, and on the brake problem MB telling you that you needed 2 new calipers discs brake pads sensors etc - £750 + ?

7. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    My sister in law visited us at the weekend in her Mini.
    She asked me if I could have a look at the rear NS wheel as “there was a bit of a noise coming from it”
    So I did
    Caliper seized
    Disc warped
    Pad almost non existent ( same on os)
    I asked how long it’s been like this....
    “Just a few months”
    I asked when it was last service
    “Let me see, we’ve had the car 3 years, so the last owners probably serviced just before they sold it to me”
    I despair

8. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather. And no AMG badges !!
    Sounds like you could set up your own successful Indy in that Gazebo :rolleyes::D

9. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather. And no AMG badges !!
    The saints preserve us :rolleyes::D

John Laidlaw likes this.
  10. daibevan

daibevan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006
    Of course she expected you to sort it out whilst she had a coffee with your misses, and didn't expect it to cost anything, cause you have all the stuff you need in that garage of yours.

Wighty likes this.
  11. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    How did you guess? :p

12. Yugguy

Yugguy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
    Aye. Although I'm moving into PCP for our cars all my tools and fluids and manuals and everything will be kept for when my daughter gets her first car

McDonald, daibevan and John Laidlaw like this.
  13. OP
    joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    Calliper rebuild was OK, just long winded, but nuts and bolts job. Reseal kit was 9.99 per side.
    Yep, keep all your tools, daughters think the only thing they have to do is put fuel in the car. They expect dad to sort anything else out and then moan like mad if you have to take car off the road for a few hours to do some work on it.
    I think I was lucky in my youth. I did not earn a lot and my father and other relatives could not change a fuse in a plug let alone fix a bike or a car, so I had to teach myself to do things and beg or borrow tools until I could afford my own.
    I can remember spending hours reading workshop manuals ( no internet in those days) and I made quite a few mistakes that cost me more money, but never made the mistake again.
    Now, I feel that I have the knowledge to do most things, I have the tools, I have the internet, unfortunately I do not have the youth. Sometimes I just struggle with the heavy jobs. But I am only 64, however two replacement knees and a fused back with rods slows me down.

14. McDonald

McDonald Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2004
    That's all very well, but she may not have an aptitude for that sort of work.

spenttherent likes this.
  15. Yugguy

Yugguy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
    Lol no it will be me doing it. She does though have a strong science/engineering interest and has said she wants to learn at least the basics of checks and maintenance. I hope she will.

Blobcat likes this.
  16. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Taught mine to change wheels and the like so they’re less likely to be ripped off of they know at least the basics.

17. OP
    joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    Oh, fighting fires, just put one out and another starts
    Meaning just fixed one thing and something else goes wrong